Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Why is it that way, why would the Japanese have Imperial sizing and the Trumpians have the metric?
Cause only in the bike industry can you buy a fork for... 26, 27.5 or 29 inch wheels with a 15 x 110 millimeter spacing, an inch and an eighth to one point five steerer and 180 millimeters of travel.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Cause only in the bike industry can you buy a fork for... 26, 27.5 or 29 inch wheels with a 15 x 110 millimeter spacing, an inch and an eighth to one point five steerer and 180 millimeters of travel.
But for the first time ever we have a metric handlebar diameter, hoorah!

why do you expect the metric system from people who drive on the wrong side of the road?
In the past Mazda(or maybe Datsun) went to the effort of making metric headed imperial bolts coz no sane person wants to deal with fractions.

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I've said it here before: Marzocchi pre Fox seemed to honor the tradition of the Italian machining industry, mixing and matching metric and imperial O-rings and thread pitches like they just didn't care about servicing. Doing a full rebuild of my Roco Air TST was too much for me and I ended up buying a SunTour TriAir. I had to face a pilgrimage through 4 different hardware stores just to source the fucking O-rings.

I witnessed a friend curse and bitch like a Gipsy woman trying to find all the different gaskets, bearings and O-rings for his vintage Wececco lathe. Seems like they assembled stuff with whichever measurements they had laying around, without a hint of consistency.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
But for the first time ever we have a metric handlebar diameter, hoorah!

In the past Mazda(or maybe Datsun) went to the effort of making metric headed imperial bolts coz no sane person wants to deal with fractions.
That would be a little bit of a mindfuck if you were working on one and didn’t have that knowledge. But it is a very…interesting…solution. For example, if you needed to replace one of those bolts mid project, where the hell are you going to find one of those?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
That would be a little bit of a mindfuck if you were working on one and didn’t have that knowledge. But it is a very…interesting…solution. For example, if you needed to replace one of those bolts mid project, where the hell are you going to find one of those?
I can't remember exactly which engine it was but it may have been Austin's A series engine as Nissan/Datsun produced it under licence then modified it a bunch. I thought it was a larger engine than that one though, I still have an A Series Mini engine block in the shed.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
My friend had one of those racks and while it has some neato marketing doo-dads, the ease of use and build quality is way worse than Thule, which I'd also never consider purchasing.

EDIT: $1400 LOL!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'm actively trying to ditch my Kuat rack and am purchasing a 1Up.

I've had the Kuat for a number of years and yes the warranty coverage has been a most excellent no questions asked type of deal (send email of whats broken and they send parts, free of charge), but god damn, half of this rack has now been replaced. And some of those newer replaced parts, need replacing now. Some of the metal also appears to be made out of some sort of cast chinesium which is corroding.

The string that broke the camels back was when I went to mount the thing to my car in the spring time. I pulled the rack out of the shed and dragged it over to the car. While propping it up, one of the main bolts that holds the thing to the hitch piece literally just fell out in two pieces. The damn shitty bolt had corroded and split in two over the winter - and that was after I had washed the rack and oiled everything very well.

You'd expect better construction from something that cost nearly $900. Too much plastic shit to wear out and that aforementioned chinesium. Oh well.

/rant

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'm actively trying to ditch my Kuat rack and am purchasing a 1Up.

I've had the Kuat for a number of years and yes the warranty coverage has been a most excellent no questions asked type of deal (send email of whats broken and they send parts, free of charge), but god damn, half of this rack has now been replaced. And some of those newer replaced parts, need replacing now. Some of the metal also appears to be made out of some sort of cast chinesium which is corroding.

The string that broke the camels back was when I went to mount the thing to my car in the spring time. I pulled the rack out of the shed and dragged it over to the car. While propping it up, one of the main bolts that holds the thing to the hitch piece literally just fell out in two pieces. The damn shitty bolt had corroded and split in two over the winter - and that was after I had washed the rack and oiled everything very well.

You'd expect better construction from something that cost nearly $900. Too much plastic shit to wear out and that aforementioned chinesium. Oh well.

/rant
You paid what for a kuat?! 1up or gtfo.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
some dipshit is trying to sell his 2020 commencal clash for $7500 on local FB mtb groups. MSRP on a brand new top end build is $5300 with identical suspension, comparable brakes, and a better drivetrain

:rofl:

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
the only thing wrong is that I didn't develop a $1400 rack first. as preposterous as it is, i guarantee these will sell out.

View attachment 163274

For your lazy ass ebike.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
i could buy a super blinged out fancy kuat rack for less than that.
dunno, people value biking differently. i‘m currently in davos, switzerland and met some dude from zurich yesterday. he took the train to klosters, bought a day pass for 50chf, rode 2 chairlifts to ride over a mountain pass to arosa, to buy another day pass (lenzerheide this time) to ride 2 other lifts then down to chur to take the train back to zurich. cost him probably more than 200chf to just ride his bike for one day.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
dunno, people value biking differently. i‘m currently in davos, switzerland and met some dude from zurich yesterday. he took the train to klosters, bought a day pass for 50chf, rode 2 chairlifts to ride over a mountain pass to arosa, to buy another day pass (lenzerheide this time) to ride 2 other lifts then down to chur to take the train back to zurich. cost him probably more than 200chf to just ride his bike for one day.
paying a lot to actually ride is kind of a different realm than price gouging a used bike.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
You paid what for a kuat?! 1up or gtfo.
I'm not sold on the 1up, super expensive and 1,000 Tesla drivers appear to be in line ahead of me with a huge wait.

My last Thule was about $300 bux and served me well for 10+ years of being left outside like an unwanted mutt. I'm thinking that route again, or Yakima version, for the wifes car.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
looking at the condition of the bike, $4k, maaaaaaaaybe $4500 absolute max. its got a lot of scratches, including on the carbon bars. and wtb cheese rims on sram hubs.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
2021 Clash Ride for $2900 on northeast bike classifieds if you’re looking to get one sooner. Not mine, but looks to be a good deal.

edit:tried to screenshot it, but the files too big