bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
well, this isn't really "the industry," but because it's pinkbike, it is. YES. PLEASE. Keep going to dupont for its overcrowded, dubmbed-down "mountain" experience. GO sheeple, GO! even go to le holy BREVARD. just stay the fuck outta the actually good stuff, plz n thank. https://www.pinkbike.com/news/the-most-popular-riding-areas-in-arizona-colorado-north-carolina-oregon-and-vermont-according-to-trailforks-data.html
Nobody uses Trailforks around here. It’s pretty impressive when you look at the heat maps. I’m ok with that.

This is pretty industry.

well, this isn't really "the industry," but because it's pinkbike, it is. YES. PLEASE. Keep going to dupont for its overcrowded, dumbed-down "mountain" experience. GO sheeple, GO! even go to le holy BREVARD. just stay the fuck outta the actually good stuff, plz n thank. https://www.pinkbike.com/news/the-most-popular-riding-areas-in-arizona-colorado-north-carolina-oregon-and-vermont-according-to-trailforks-data.html
Strava and Trailforks have and will continue to be damaging to what we like to do.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
well, this isn't really "the industry," but because it's pinkbike, it is. YES. PLEASE. Keep going to dupont for its overcrowded, dumbed-down "mountain" experience. GO sheeple, GO! even go to le holy BREVARD. just stay the fuck outta the actually good stuff, plz n thank. https://www.pinkbike.com/news/the-most-popular-riding-areas-in-arizona-colorado-north-carolina-oregon-and-vermont-according-to-trailforks-data.html
Haha, my wife is still learning. Lots of sessions on Hard and Burnt. She shuttled me to Bennet yesterday since she walked most of it the day before. She's hungry for it though.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Haha, my wife is still learning. Lots of sessions on Hard and Burnt. She shuttled me to Bennet yesterday since she walked most of it the day before. She's hungry for it though.
bennett shuttles FTW. the gate's open, i guess?

didn't know you're in NC. where you located? if you ever want to get over to the wilson creek area let me know. it's the best...I mean worst. :D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Dupont isn't the gnurrrrr but its kind of fun to me. Fight me. :busted:

Though that said, I've only ridden there during the week and in January, so its never been busy or anything. Did burnt mountain/cedar rock area in the pissing rain last time and had the entire parking lot to ourselves.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
PinkForks new season of "Kids Baking Championships" is here!

Shall we set up a friendly competition and say who they think will win? Or even who they want to win?

Put me down for the 2 Americans. I don't know their names, but it's easier that way. The dude seems ok. The girl, with all the bmx experience should be fun to watch crash. Zee German girl will probably win tho.

Anyone else want to get in? No cheating. Must post before episode 2.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-let-the-racing-begin-pinkbike-academy-season-2-ep-1.html

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Strava and Trailforks have and will continue to be damaging to what we like to do.
Trailforks isn't so bad when its just used to navigate trail networks or whatever, but the ride logging feature and analysis isn't great, nor is people "adding" trails they shouldn't.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC

Shall we set up a friendly competition and say who they think will win? Or even who they want to win?

Put me down for the 2 Americans. I don't know their names, but it's easier that way. The dude seems ok. The girl, with all the bmx experience should be fun to watch crash. Zee German girl will probably win tho.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-let-the-racing-begin-pinkbike-academy-season-2-ep-1.html
you're actually watching that shit?

Trailforks isn't so bad when its just used to navigate trail networks or whatever, but the ride logging feature and analysis isn't great, nor is people "adding" trails they shouldn't.
I use Trailforks. At least it allows a land manager to not have their stuff published if so desired.

Strava sucks with its virtual competition and with publishing trails that aren't supposed to be public.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020

I think the young Canadian kid with the glasses will go pretty far or win. The Scottish guy seems pretty fast too. The Aussie/NZ (can't tell the difference) looks fast too but a little wild in his "stock footage" so I think he'll end up losing time to mistakes.

I think from the ladies the only 2 that looked halfway decent were the girl from Chile (has raced privateer) and the German.

The rest didn't even look close, either in fitness or speed.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
bennett shuttles FTW. the gate's open, i guess?

didn't know you're in NC. where you located? if you ever want to get over to the wilson creek area let me know. it's the best...I mean worst. :D
We vacation this time every year here, we live in Frederick MD. We're staying at the Sunset in Brevard. We parked at the bottom and got a ride up to the gate. So a little bit of a climb. I'd love to hit some of those terrible trails. Dupont is too nice if the weather hold out I'll hit you up this weekend.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Trail forks should not allow people to add trails, half the trails in my home network are bootleg trails. YouTube and Covid made our area popular as it is.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Trail forks should not allow people to add trails, half the trails in my home network are bootleg trails. YouTube and Covid made our area popular as it is.
You can click on any trail in Trailforks and report it as illegal/unsanctioned and they'll remove it. We had some idiot do that on our local trails, and I got all them nuked.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
You can click on any trail in Trailforks and report it as illegal/unsanctioned and they'll remove it. We had some idiot do that on our local trails, and I got all them nuked.
Really good to know! Thank you! Our trail system used to be a gray area. Now its allowed but half the trails are in question. If someone gets really hurt they may close that particular trail.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Our winter trails are great, but they don't need to be on TF, due to their variable nature and the fact that trailbuilding is not exactly sanctioned. Some dumbass (not the trailbuilder) always posts the trail on TF though and then gives it some dumb (not the actual) name.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Whats your home area? Check and see if your region/area has an admin group or person in that role. If not, click that apply button and try to get in there. Even if someone adds a trail, it needs to be voted on and reach a score of 5, or have an admin approve it. So you can technically get in there and downvote some, if you see it.

I got in as the admin of the entire province of Ontario and do quite a lot of filtering of trails that should be private or not added at all. I'd like to think that I have a pretty good insight of the general happenings in Ontario, though its an absolutely huge region and has almost 10000 trails in there, so I always try and find out who the trail builder and ask them for their input, if new additions seem bogus.

What I think a lot of people just don't realize, is how public the info is and its no longer a small community of users. There are trail organizations and even government entities that are using it for their maps and reporting. That also means that some of those people from the government or other official organizations can see everything in their region - which is why some stuff shouldn't be added at all. Keep that stuff off any map, private or not.

A good example is this trail - https://www.trailforks.com/trails/downrange/ . I messaged this kid (have sold him some bike parts too) after he added the trail and told him its probably not a good idea to add it - nope he said approve it or whatever. So I did and guess what, literally the next day the town came in and plowed down the work he did.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
we've done that locally as well.

i do enjoy trailforks when i am travelling to new locations / trails and don't know my way around.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI

I heard from my friend Cody that he's in it. He's a nice guy and pretty fast. He's been sponsored forever and has many years of pro racing experience, I think including some world cups, so I was surprised to hear he's involved in a talent search type show.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I got in as the admin of the entire province of Ontario and do quite a lot of filtering of trails that should be private or not added at all. I'd like to think that I have a pretty good insight of the general happenings in Ontario, though its an absolutely huge region and has almost 10000 trails in there, so I always try and find out who the trail builder and ask them for their input, if new additions seem bogus.
Oh yeah, got the pulse on the happenings in Sault Ste Marie? Tell me about what’s going on in Wawa…

A good example is this trail - https://www.trailforks.com/trails/downrange/ . I messaged this kid (have sold him some bike parts too) after he added the trail and told him its probably not a good idea to add it - nope he said approve it or whatever. So I did and guess what, literally the next day the town came in and plowed down the work he did.
This process of “adding trails” is incredibly misguided.

And there aren’t “some” organizations patrolling trailforks. Every single organization out there that cares about trails, trailbuilding, rogue trailbuilding, etc. is watching it and other apps like hawks waiting for someone to slip up. Might as well just knock the door of city hall with a printed map to your new trail.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Oh yeah, got the pulse on the happenings in Sault Ste Marie? Tell me about what’s going on in Wawa…
Is that an actual question or ??. The Sault is growing their trail network and has a nice DH spot, which I've spoken to the builders about..

This process of “adding trails” is incredibly misguided.

And there aren’t “some” organizations patrolling trailforks. Every single organization out there that cares about trails, trailbuilding, rogue trailbuilding, etc. is watching it and other apps like hawks waiting for someone to slip up. Might as well just knock the door of city hall with a printed map to your new trail.
The process, or the people doing it, might be misguided. Thats what there needs to be a competent filter in place - not everything gets approved.

Not all organizations are actually patrolling trailforks or other apps. Some are still running blind and stuck in the 80's with their hand drawn paper maps - its shocking, actually.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
we've done that locally as well.

i do enjoy trailforks when i am travelling to new locations / trails and don't know my way around.
Yep, likewise. I loaded up rideplans on my phone when we did some new rides in Downieville. But I think a for-profit app definitely shouldn't include illegal/unsanctioned/gray area trails.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yep, likewise. I loaded up rideplans on my phone when we did some new rides in Downieville. But I think a for-profit app definitely shouldn't include illegal/unsanctioned/gray area trails.
agreed. our local spot has some unsanctioned stuff on it, we keep it off trailforks. we've been trying to get connected with the park ranger (state park, so run by the DCNR) to try and get a legitimate setup going (worth noting 2 of the trails ARE sanctioned and on the state park map). randomly one of our guys bumped into a new ranger that had been transferred from another state park which has a popular and legit trail network, and he indicated the management at our local park has been looking for "us". aka builders that want to work with the park on an on-going basis for trail maintenance, etc.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Is that an actual question or ??. The Sault is growing their trail network and has a nice DH spot, which I've spoken to the builders about..
No, that's not a question. It's snark at the suggestion that you're on top of what's happening across the entire province.

The process, or the people doing it, might be misguided. Thats what there needs to be a competent filter in place - not everything gets approved.
I think that's for you folks to figure out. Might want to get on that. If some builder or rider alerted the world the the existence of a zone the locals knew to be quiet about, and that led to it being removed, that would not be good. A lot of the biking around here exists in a grey zone. Nobody is fully happy about it, but we get on with it and it's been like this for a long time.

Not all organizations are actually patrolling trailforks or other apps. Some are still running blind and stuck in the 80's with their hand drawn paper maps - its shocking, actually.
Yeah. Some are still selling maps, etc. I like a good map, and I appreciate a hand drawn map. Funny when folks are sitting at trail intersections staring at their phones, then start scrolling instagram or whatever.