Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Turn the bars 90 degrees. If the bars don't turn past the top tube, then your bike does it.

On my 2020 Enduro with a 20mm rise bar and a couple spacers under the stem, there's a good inch or so of overlap if the levers were to clear as well. Pretty dumb.
There is always a tradeoff. A lower top tube would require more weight and material for the same strength and stiffness and water bottle space.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Exacerbated by the super slack HA though I would think.
64ish. Although I have a hard time believing a couple degrees difference over a foot of radius from the steerer would be making enough difference with the amount of overlap there is. I think it's just oversight.

~5 degrees difference would make up ~1 inch of overlap at 12" from center. About where the levers are.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
If you've got 6 bikes there within arms reach, curious what the longest and shortest headtubes are. It's 120mm on this bike, and the top tube forming is pretty much flush with it.

With aluminum frames, this wasn't as much of a consideration since there had to be room on the headtube for welds, so the miter would intersect lower.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If you've got 6 bikes there within arms reach, curious what the longest and shortest headtubes are. It's 120mm on this bike, and the top tube forming is pretty much flush with it.

With aluminum frames, this wasn't as much of a consideration since there had to be room on the headtube for welds, so the miter would intersect lower.
100 to 145 mm.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
4 (the carbon ones) are flush. The metal ones aren't. Spacers vary from 10 to 25 mm and 12 to 27 mm rise bars.
Well this isn't out of family then. I think 15mm of spacers and 20mm rise bars. Just a Specialized thing then. That doesn't make it suck any less though.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
12" is quite aways off from a correct bar height at a given reach for someone 6'+.
Perhaps my sarcasm was a little subtle, but the fact that you didn't recognize 12" as sarcasm kind of proves my point.

Can you help me understand the real-world problems you experience with a head tube you think is too short. What's the issue using more spacers or a bar and/or stem with more rise? Your steerer needs to be long enough regardless, and you'll have less issues with controls hitting the top tube, better standover clearance, etc.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Perhaps my sarcasm was a little subtle, but the fact that you didn't recognize 12" as sarcasm kind of proves my point.

Can you help me understand the real-world problems you experience with a head tube you think is too short. What's the issue using more spacers or a bar and/or stem with more rise? Your steerer needs to be long enough regardless, and you'll have less issues with controls hitting the top tube, better standover clearance, etc.
As Westy said, the length of the headtube and the height at which the top tube joins with it is one of the boundary conditions for torsional stiffness in the front triangle. You'd want it as tall as possible for that case, but there are packaging considerations to be made as well (standover ergos, clearance for controls, clearance for water bottles, etc).

The real issue is that a long steerer tube and short headtube looks goofy as fuck. Depending on the kind of spacer, you may have issues with the headset loosening more over time with a polarized setup like that.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
As Westy said, the length of the headtube and the height at which the top tube joins with it is one of the boundary conditions for torsional stiffness in the front triangle. You'd want it as tall as possible for that case, but there are packaging considerations to be made as well (standover ergos, clearance for controls, clearance for water bottles, etc).

The real issue is that a long steerer tube and short headtube looks goofy as fuck. Depending on the kind of spacer, you may have issues with the headset loosening more over time with a polarized setup like that.

Speaking of goofy, from a aesthetic standpoint I am glad these days are behind us. I'd rather have my bars hit the top tube than have to look at all the swoopy toobz bullshit

1635460224466.png

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Flex is going to be an issue for bigger, more aggressive people no matter what, particularly on aluminum bikes. It's always a challenge to accommodate outliers in size and riding style, and I'm not sure 10mm taller will make such a big improvement in frame stiffness that it justifies alienating the number of riders who don't want a head tube that tall. And as for fine-tuning fit, I personally would rather fine tune with spacers than buy a whole new bar, but ok.

I spent years riding larges and could only get comfortable on XL's once headtubes got a little shorter. (I'm 6'1", around 195 lbs., with ape arms. Ironically, I'm now back to looking at larges since bikes have gotten so long.)

Just sayin', count me as one of the increasing number of folks who prefer to choose a bike size for reasons other than head tube length.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Speaking of goofy, from a aesthetic standpoint I am glad these days are behind us. I'd rather have my bars hit the top tube than have to look at all the swoopy toobz bullshit

View attachment 166727
Aesthetically, kill it with fire.

Balance of structure and clearance/packaging, does the job.

Manufacturing - nightmare (probably).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Too many spacers will cause the HS to loosen

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
regarding this flexing steerer tube issue and if you can't or don't wanna go the dual crown way, an Intend Stiffmaster upper cup seems to be a neat solution
I have one.
Not because I thought my setup was flexy but because I thought it was an interesting idea and I wanted to know if the difference would be noticeable.

The only time I notice(d) it was standing up cranking at max power, in that situation it does feel stiffer the rest of the time no difference.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I have one.
Not because I thought my setup was flexy but because I thought it was an interesting idea and I wanted to know if the difference would be noticeable.

The only time I notice(d) it was standing up cranking at max power, in that situation it does feel stiffer the rest of the time no difference.
Weird. The StiffMaster that I have seems to work WAY differently...

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
regarding this flexing steerer tube issue and if you can't or don't wanna go the dual crown way, an Intend Stiffmaster upper cup seems to be a neat solution
Orrrrr you know...dual crowns.

I was always aware that there was stem/steerer flex on my bike when I had the single crown and that was the reason I went dual crown. One thing I wasn't as acutely aware of however was the big increase in lateral stiffness to be gained. I suppose it makes sense, but it was very noticeable on a race track I've ridden many times that has some very tricky fall line sections with some awkward turns through them. After experiencing the before and after I feel the lateral stiffness gain is a bigger benefit than the stem/steerer gains.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
In motorcycle racing the frame/fork stiffness grail was chased until they figured out that some degree of flex helped handling and traction. This paraphrasing Kevin Cameron.
That’s in part because the travel of the regular suspension is 45 degrees off from the plane of the ground.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
In motorcycle racing the frame/fork stiffness grail was chased until they figured out that some degree of flex helped handling and traction. This paraphrasing Kevin Cameron.
When FS bikes have the lateral stiffness of a hardtail, call me back.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
You know what's wrong with The Industry???

The word "STOKED"

In every bike review video, or go-pro video, you hear it:

"We're stoked to try this..."
"We're so stoked to get this..."
"I'm stoked!"

...you get the idea.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
You know what's wrong with The Industry???

The word "STOKED"

In every bike review video, or go-pro video, you hear it:

"We're stoked to try this..."
"We're so stoked to get this..."
"I'm stoked!"

...you get the idea.
Subscribing your point entirely. On the bright side, we got rid of "shred" "schralp" and "gnar" almost entirely. Give it some more time and it'll fade away in favor of some other lingo bingo contraption.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Subscribing your point entirely. On the bright side, we got rid of "shred" "schralp" and "gnar" almost entirely. Give it some more time and it'll fade away in favor of some other lingo bingo contraption.
rid egg never got the memo.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Next you will start a petition that everyone now rides in silence and the only acceptable support from a race crowd is now a polite golf clap....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Next you will start a petition that everyone now rides in silence and the only acceptable support from a race crowd is now a polite golf clap....
I believe the while yeeew thing was started by shitty mtb vloggers trying to artificially express stoke for likes.