Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
I laugh when I do something stupid.

otherwise I'm silent so I can hear my super clicky hub fighting with my suspension.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I do this

I'm sorry

but it's never for innernet likes, it's more just a release because it's either that or I pee myself from excitement like a dog

probably
Maybe it has been a thing for a while and I just never noticed or cared, but my first conscious exposure to it was after making the mistake of watching a Jeff Kendal-Weed video. For the three minutes I was able to stomach it he probably said it ten times and I have found it irritating ever sense.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I mean….. norm are norms! Just get on with it and tell me the fucking rules.

I can’t take anymore of this!

edit: I think nobody that’s ever been to Eurobike actually wants to be part of the industry or expects a lot of cool stuff from it…. Certainly not anybody posting on a DH/FR forum.

@kidwoo I think I’ll wear the cut one today
image.jpg

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
goddammit next thing i know you people are going to be telling me how awful i am for refusing to wear goggles with my full face. what a joey!!!
Shit! I didn’t even think about that. I might have to wear the full face today if only to pair it with some blades.

I like to look like a joey. Balances out my dentist bike!

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
I mean….. norm are norms! Just get on with it and tell me the fucking rules.

I can’t take anymore of this!

edit: I think nobody that’s ever been to Eurobike actually wants to be part of the industry or expects a lot of cool stuff from it…. Certainly not anybody posting on a DH/FR forum.

@kidwoo I think I’ll wear the cut one today
View attachment 166842

ey, back in the day a lot of bongshed action went down outside the halls. not all things were bad there

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
So stoked that people hate on STOKE

HA!

I actually used that term at work last week:

"Shauna, my VP, was stoked on the app we are creating." Followed by "Hmmm...she's on the east coast, doubt she would say stoked. But those of us on this side of the mississippi know what that means."

:D

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
So stoked that people hate on STOKE

HA!

I actually used that term at work last week:

"Shauna, my VP, was stoked on the app we are creating." Followed by "Hmmm...she's on the east coast, doubt she would say stoked. But those of us on this side of the mississippi know what that means."

:D
clearly she'd say it was "wicked good"

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I watched it too. On one hand he presents some valid points but on the other hand it gets quite personal against AB, he didn't even mention how the shifting was...
Nevermind, I am not in the market for this type of product

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I watched it too. On one hand he presents some valid points but on the other hand it gets quite personal against AB, he didn't even mention how the shifting was...
Nevermind, I am not in the market for this type of product
AB went off the hooks after the first video. I watched that one too, it was his usual thing. I think AB is full of shite, he called them on it, they went off the rails, threatened to sue, got video taken down, etc., he has dug much further now...they are still full of absolute crap.

This is why roadie shit gets to cult-levels we can only dream of in mtb. The claims are totally BS and should never get to the level the companies take them to. It should just be "here are some nice anodized parts to make you feel happier", not "this chainring makes you up to 12% faster". If the % gains they are claiming were true, people would be winning races MINTUES ahead of competitors, which is absolutely unheard of in top-tier racing. It'd be like showing up on a 26" 1.8" 73HTA bike for a DH race. Remember, the dealer cost was around 200-something Euros on that OSDP, so the company is setting that 700 price. AB is at the pinnacle of ridiculous claims that are just not founded in the real world and they are finally being called out for it.

carbon-polymer mono-plate construction
Polymers are based on carbon...so yeah, plastic. Just trying to make it sound "carbon fibery".

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I am with you @slimshady :cheers:

Sometimes I feel sad when I see how much cycling is more about the equipment than about the ride. I must admit that I have a tendency to easily fall in that rabbit hole and I am trying to redirect my focus and interest more on the riding experience. I kind of promise myself that I will not buy another bike once I get this gravel bike I ordered a few months ago... just a last fix, you know, then I quit. For good! :pleasantry:

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I'm really glad that generally I'm past the point of giving AF about the latest and greatest tech and just get stuff that works really well for long periods of time with low amounts of faff.

The industry as a whole is pretty annoying as fuck, but I still love riding my bike and being in the forest with my friends, and really that's the part that matters the most.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
This is why roadie shit gets to cult-levels we can only dream of in mtb. The claims are totally BS and should never get to the level the companies take them to.
You do remember the introdcution of 29" and 27.5" wheels, don't you?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This is what I see when I read it:

The only marklar proven marklar marklars on the marklar. Our marklars led by the Marklar of Marklar, Marklar show on the below marklar significant marklars when using marklar marklar marklars compared to marklar. Up to 9% increase of marklar effectiveness, up to 7% less marklar consumption, up to 15% less marklar (marklar) and up to 10% marklar rate decrease when using marklar marklars versus marklar. What does that marklar? In short, it marklars that you will marklar less marklar at the same marklar output using marklar marklars so you can markar for longer and/or faster. Our marklar show that the higher you marklar the more marklar you have to put in, therefore it's important to maximize marklar and marklar and you can improve both by using marklar marklars. Watch the marklar.

1635882606677.png

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You do remember the introdcution of 29" and 27.5" wheels, don't you?
Yeah, I never read those claims, but I know some douchebaggery went on with Giant and a few others putting out some real false info.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yeah, I never read those claims, but I know some douchebaggery went on with Giant and a few others putting out some real false info.
Those tests some magazines conducted were funny too. In one of those, 29" wheels clearly won based on time, but if you normalized by average power the results were not statistically significant. For some reason the test riders put more power down with larger wheels. I am suspecting they tried to hit their normal cadence in the same gear on all bikes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Those tests some magazines conducted were funny too. In one of those, 29" wheels clearly won based on time, but if you normalized by average power the results were not statistically significant.
interesting. i've never seen race results reported by whether or not the riders had statistically significantly different times.

For some reason the test riders put more power down with larger wheels. I am suspecting they tried to hit their normal cadence in the same gear on all bikes.
or maybe the test methodology sucked.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
How are we feeling about "jank"?

I find all of the stoke/schralp talk pretty hard to take but every activity has associated jargon. Just seems to be the way it is.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
As a native Californian, I think it's rad that the rest of you are saying "stoked" now.

Jank seems to me like an OK term for messy, blown-out, techy trails. We used to say "janky" not "jank" though, and it would be sort of a synonym for "clapped-out".

As a native Californian, I think it's rad that the rest of you are saying "stoked" now.

Jank seems to me like an OK term for messy, blown-out, techy trails. We used to say "janky" not "jank" though, and it would be sort of a synonym for "clapped-out".

Janky first emerged in black slang in the 1990s, featured in rap songs as early as Ice Cube’s 1993 “Really Doe”: “Hard to swallow, janky as Rollo/Count to ten, and don’t try to follow.” Rollo may be a reference to Rollo Lawson, a recurring character on the 1970s sitcom Sanford and Son, who had a seedy reputation on the show. The Roots and Coolio also prominently featured janky in lyrics in 1993–94. It is unclear where the term originates, but hip-hop and black culture more generally helped popularize the term among various young people, and into the mainstream lexicon, in the 2000s.

The comedy film Janky Promoters was released in 2009, followed by the highest spike in Google searches for janky. In the movie, rappers Ice Cube and Mike Epps play two incompetent music promoters trying to find a way to pay for the artist Young Jeezy to headline their concert. Janky in the title refers not only to the inferior quality of the accommodations the promoters are able to provide their headliner (i.e., a rented van instead of a limousine) but also to their bumbling personalities and unprofessional management.