Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
As a native Californian, I think it's rad that the rest of you are saying "stoked" now.

Jank seems to me like an OK term for messy, blown-out, techy trails. We used to say "janky" not "jank" though, and it would be sort of a synonym for "clapped-out".
this. my favorite kind of trail. also referred to as blown out. frequently occurring on fall or ridge line tralls.

what about CHUNDER?

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Janky, to me, was always slower, hard, and mostly awkward technical riding that was mostly a factor of riding on hiking trails that were never really purpose built, let alone purpose built for mountain biking. Seems these days most newer riders call anything remotely technical "jank".

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Yes, my friends and I were listening to NWA, etc since it came out. And us skaters always spoke street slang at that time, as the skating was in the cities and streets.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Janky, to me, was always slower, hard, and mostly awkward technical riding that was mostly a factor of riding on hiking trails that were never really purpose built, let alone purpose built for mountain biking. Seems these days most newer riders call anything remotely technical "jank".
When I designate a trail as janky, it's because I have been convinced that whoever built it was high on crack.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Wish they weren't so expensive, but these are genuinely awesome.

Weren't we just talking about this? How we have to maintain our presta valves for tubeless applications. It's almost like someone was listening :D

Still, tho, how is that popet valve going to NOT get clogged as it is facing the sealeant like all the time?

With current presta valves, the thing that gets clogged is at the top, furthest away from the sealant. Not taking a bath with it. Perhaps I'm missing something?

Pinkforks: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/reserves-fillmore-valve-aims-to-make-tubeless-easier.html

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Still, tho, how is that popet valve going to NOT get clogged as it is facing the sealeant like all the time?
The opening is *way* bigger than in a normal presta valve, and the stem physically pushes the top part open with quite a bit of movement, so even if some sealant builds up around it the seal should get broken when you open the valve.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
When my Presta valves get clogged, it's usually first the bottom of the valve core getting buildup on it, followed by the lower part of the stem getting clogged. I've got a couple pairs of fancy high end valves (Peaty's, Industry Nine). They resist clogging better than cheap ones, but it still happens eventually if you change tires and are adding fresh sealant frequently.

This design looks like it'd work well, but they look like they'd make doing Cushcore even more of a pain in the ass. Plus, most importantly, they only come in black. I think I'll stick with my Peaty's.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Wish they weren't so expensive, but these are genuinely awesome.

thanks for the explanation on the design & how it works. i saw another "review" that did not.

do these work with tire inserts? or are there plans for a version that is compatible?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I appreciate the gesture, especially in a sea filled of dip-shit aluminum valves with tiny little cores that you can't set tires through, but jesus, schrader standard already exists. Just freaking use it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I appreciate the gesture, especially in a sea filled of dip-shit aluminum valves with tiny little cores that you can't set tires through, but jesus, schrader standard already exists. Just freaking use it.
show us some modern rims that are drilled for schrader.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Weren't we just talking about this? How we have to maintain our presta valves for tubeless applications. It's almost like someone was listening :D

With current presta valves, the thing that gets clogged is at the top, furthest away from the sealant. Not taking a bath with it. Perhaps I'm missing something?

Pinkforks: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/reserves-fillmore-valve-aims-to-make-tubeless-easier.html
Seems like a sound product and if it works, it works.

Obviously not for me, as I've not had a problem with valves getting clogged.

Being picky about the design, does the air pressure in the tire hold the valve shut? We all know what happens when you drop the valve cap on the ground in a forest. That thing is gone son.

And if you're a hamfist who bends the tip of the nut thing, I can also see these things being a bad idea.

Is there any possibility that the caps will get stuck to the rod and not be able to spin off?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
You guys have trouble seating tire beads these days? Is that an inserts thing?

I run Maxxis, sometimes Spec / Michelin / Schwalbe, and they all seat onto DT and Stans rims with my $20 nashbar floor pump and no sealant. Maxxis is the best in that regard.

Also, Orange Seal brand valves are bad.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Seems like a sound product and if it works, it works.

Obviously not for me, as I've not had a problem with valves getting clogged.

Being picky about the design, does the air pressure in the tire hold the valve shut? We all know what happens when you drop the valve cap on the ground in a forest. That thing is gone son.

And if you're a hamfist who bends the tip of the nut thing, I can also see these things being a bad idea.

Is there any possibility that the caps will get stuck to the rod and not be able to spin off?
Internal air pressure does hold it shut, but you can bump the tip and let some out, just like a regular presta valve with the nut loose.

And no, the internal valve piece can't spin inside the stem so there's no way for the cap to get stuck.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You guys have trouble seating tire beads these days? Is that an inserts thing?

I run Maxxis, sometimes Spec / Michelin / Schwalbe, and they all seat onto DT and Stans rims with my $20 nashbar floor pump and no sealant. Maxxis is the best in that regard.

Also, Orange Seal brand valves are bad.
Yeah, in case you haven't noticed, there's an incredible amount of variability in tires and rims. Some combos mount ride up, some leak through the flexible bead, some are just loose before they lock into place. Just way too much variability.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I use Janky to mean something awkward or hard to flow and weirdly out of sync with the pace of the trail. You know - janky shit.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
My personal definition would be wonky is sort of weird, not necessarily wrong, but definitely someone's unique take on something. Often an acquired taste.

Janky to me is more improvised and slapdash. Redneck - the more pallets and old tires the better. Put together with whatever was available, aesthetics or quality be damned.