Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Couldn't really decide if this should be in this thread, or the what's right with the industry one:

On one hand, it comes from pro riders actually looking for ways to improve their experience.

On the other one, they're grip shifts...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with people experimenting with parts and setups.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I thought the diy grip shift brake solution was pretty slick. Mainly as a hack that worked out. Seems like it doesn’t play with giros?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Couldn't really decide if this should be in this thread, or the what's right with the industry one:

On one hand, it comes from pro riders actually looking for ways to improve their experience.

On the other one, they're grip shifts...
That's awesome, just need to do a rebrand and sell it to hipsters on fixies, maybe call it the quick wristy or something catchy.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
These didn't take off it seems, on spesh for $38AU, hahaha!
1640827952108.png

I'd hope is was better made than Controltech bar I had.

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
New rule: Uphill riders yield to the downhill riders.

Fuck you, you fucking fucks who go UP the best downhill trails and then complain the downhill rider didn't yield. There. I said it. I feel better now. :)

was?

Monkey
Mar 9, 2010
Dresden, Germany
Had a head on collision with team spandex on a local trail this way. His brake lever smashed my left digit finger joint at the middle phalanx in two parts, could've been way worse though. The japanese knotweed was pretty tall, we didn't see each other until we were two meters apart.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Give it 20 years and they will ride 64° HA, 78° SA, 160 mm travel FS bikes with riser bars. :D
They'll be the only ones without electric motors and we'll make fun of the fitness freaks who spend all day pedaling on dirt roads when they could be shralping flow/jump trails on 30lb e-bikes that set the correct speed for jumps and use a gyro to straighten out before landing.
Udi will still be crawling down vertical muddy roots while searching for the perfect brake system.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
one shouldn’t be able to ride up the “best“ downhill trails
Not even a snide or sarcastic reply from you? I agree!

But yeah I think the yielding rule should vary depending on the trail. Around here there aren't really many one direction trails, so you'll have dimwits trying to go up trails that are generally known as "downhill". It can be pretty darn hard to slow down and stop on our sandy loose fast trails.

Luckily, as long as we aren't riding in Toronto, everyone seems to yield no matter one, which leads to a friendly awkward standoff.

And when I'm hiking or going up, I pretty much always go to the side. Way easier to stop for a moment as a hiker and I don't want to ruin someone's fun going down. :)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
They'll be the only ones without electric motors and we'll make fun of the fitness freaks who spend all day pedaling on dirt roads when they could be shralping flow/jump trails on 30lb e-bikes that set the correct speed for jumps and use a gyro to straighten out before landing.
Udi will still be crawling down vertical muddy roots while searching for the perfect brake system.
You forgot that the ebike riders will just be watching the live stream of their bike riding itself through a vr headset

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
@Udi actually claims he's already found it and we are all delusional fools thinking we could use some other brand/model.

He also needs a 2022-updated Iron Horse Sunday in his life, so go figure...

Anyway, happy new year old crusty Monkey fellows! May the upcoming Armageddon find you ripping some awesome laps on your favorite trails!!!

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
People are always way too concerned that they need to ride a trail at max-speed as if it's the last time in their life they will ever get to ride it. Like what if around the next corner is an old lady and man (not all nimbly-bimbly) out for a stroll? Gunna make them jump off the trail or just hit them? Yeah, directional trails, no question, but damn near every non-directional trail is multi-use, there are some exceptions, but those tend to be just that, exceptions. F-the riders that can't freaking stop and yield for other traffic on the trail. If you are having a problem with this, the solution is go ride somewhere less popular.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I know this is some sort of computer voodoo but it is going to be for sale soon as a cheap E-Bike.
I really hope it comes out radially spoked.

1641033723223.png

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I was assuming the battery was in the seat tube and they tried to put some lipstick on the pig.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Why do I have to take apart my seatpost down to it's basic parts just to get new grease in there? Why the F doesn't it have grease-ports?