Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Like what if around the next corner is an old lady and man (not all nimbly-bimbly) out for a stroll? Gunna make them jump off the trail or just hit them?
Rookie, points multiplier only kicks in if you do both.

@Udi actually claims he's already found it and we are all delusional fools thinking we could use some other brand/model. He also needs a 2022-updated Iron Horse Sunday in his life, so go figure..
It's just funny to see people who don't / won't spend the money complaining about price / availability.
Loving all the Sunday reboots, I owned four at various times and still have a soft spot for em!

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
It's just funny to see people who don't / won't spend the money complaining about price / availability.
I'm not complaining at all. It was just a tongue in cheek comment to summon you here. Just with the classic RM snark sprinkled on top.

If anything, I trust your experience and recommendations about Trickstuff. I just can't afford to justify spending that kind if money for my riding level/ability/terrain/regularity.

Now, and as we have discussed before, if some of the big players could just take a page or two from Trickstuff's book, then maybe we could have mass produced brakes without a tendency to kill us without any previous notice, and with enough power to stop fast guys going at mach chicken (something I haven't experienced myself, noblesse oblige).

Let's wait and see if DT can make that happen.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Now, and as we have discussed before, if some of the big players could just take a page or two from Trickstuff's book, then maybe we could have mass produced brakes without a tendency to kill us without any previous notice, and with enough power to stop fast guys going at mach chicken (something I haven't experienced myself, noblesse oblige).

Let's wait and see if DT can make that happen.
Have you tried the Hayes Dominion A4?

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I've read good things about them from you and other members. Unfortunately, Hayes has zero presence here in Argentina, so even procuring something as simple as pads would be a hassle.
Ebay, brakes and pads. Just be careful cutting the hoses they're harder to come by right now. I had a customer cut the hose at the banjo to switch frames. Took forever to get a proper hose.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
On the Dominions - how much lever travel is there to full lock-up compared to other brakes? I like running my levers close to the bars.
The lever throw is a little on the longer side of average, but the lever geometry works well for running the bite point very close to the bar.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I've got short fingers, no issues. The lever pull requires less effort. So if trying to avoid arm pump they can be out a little more than most brakes.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Because there is so much IP in stuffing a mutitool into a steerer tube. ;)
Yeah but at least have a go at making it different or better.
1642242280908.png

I'm gonna get an All In Mk 3, they look pretty good, life's too short to get stuck with a shitty multi tool.
Mk3-
1642242451188.png

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yeah but at least have a go at making it different or better.
To make it clear, I am not condoning copying products. But I guess the company sent their blueprints to China for production, so not that hard to make the exact same thing.
Wasn't everybody here cool with buying fake TLD gloves not too long ago? Double standards much.... :disgust1:

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
The magnet isn't strong enough to keep it in the crank in chunk. I've had the original and a knock off both flew out.
I have the Giant version on my gravel/cross bike - no loose bits to lose and the magnet keeps it nicely in place - at least on that bike.

HeadMaster

Chimp
Feb 8, 2019
Ditto here, mine lasted 15 minutes, never to be seen again. Maybe for a road bike…
Yeah I had two, thought it was the most useful multi tool, when it was there. Used one and it fell out twice, had another rider find it the first time, second one I gave to buddy for Christmas. He’s not a charger tho and it’s still there.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The magnet isn't strong enough to keep it in the crank in chunk. I've had the original and a knock off both flew out.
Ditto here, mine lasted 15 minutes, never to be seen again. Maybe for a road bike…
Yeah I had two, thought it was the most useful multi tool, when it was there. Used one and it fell out twice, had another rider find it the first time, second one I gave to buddy for Christmas. He’s not a charger tho and it’s still there.
Okay, thanks gents, you've saved me some money.
So the original multi tool should be in this thread anyway.

"Are you sure it's safely locked inside the axle?

Of course, 7 high resistance neodymium magnets lock it into the axel... World class series tried and tested!"
Should have done some Monkey testing.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
I have a similar tool, minus a chain breaker that goes into the handlebar. It works really good for me. If you have aluminum bars, there should be no issues. If you have carbon, this may not be the best depending on the bar (how oval-shaped the inside is).

1-MT-DAULKIT-V1M_DualInsertKit-Medium_v1_R1_1800x1800.jpg

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I have the Wolftooth bar end tools. The wife has the Oneup in her stem. Even though these tools are compact and always on the bike I find them fiddly when actually using them. I'm the trail side mechanic in my group. (Every one I ride with is also a customer) I always go back to my Blackburn multi. It has real Allen wrenches that are removable. It's in my pack or a tool strap on the bike.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Not understanding how the bar end version has much of a market anymore, what with nearly every lock-on grip now only have an inner lock ring

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Not understanding how the bar end version has much of a market anymore, what with nearly every lock-on grip now only have an inner lock ring

:stupid:

Yup, every grip I have used or seen on buddies bikes in the last few years have all been inner lock ring with a covered end. Must be an awful lot of people still using Rogues and Ruffians et al.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
If you need more of those Rev grips they're $8 on aliexpress. Haha. You should buy them there, any company that charges a premium but offshores their manufacturing doesn't deserve the business.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
You just punch the end out with a mallet.
That said, I have the Wolftooth Bar end tools, with mixed results. I have knocked them out a few times clipping trees, and that is goddamn annoying. Completely lost one on one occasion. They also are finicky/slow to use. Enough of a pain that a few times I either asked someone else if they had a multi tool handy, or I even carry a 4mm in my pocket for the most common tightening needs.
Bottom line, great for emergency use or when alone, but I am going to try a one-up steerer do-hickey next for quick-draw access.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Okay, thanks gents, you've saved me some money.
So the original multi tool should be in this thread anyway.

"Are you sure it's safely locked inside the axle?

Of course, 7 high resistance neodymium magnets lock it into the axel... World class series tried and tested!"
Should have done some Monkey testing.
Into the aluminum axle?

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Good to know these toolset options are not that great, before I decide what route to take this summer. Happy with my rusty old folding set, but no slick option to get it onto the bike. I almost went with a One Up pump and toolkit but I am cheap. I have a pump and tool set and One Up’s complete kit is pricey.