Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Why not get the one up strap and just strap it onto your bike? I'm definitely going to strap my wife's toolkit to the rocker link on hey tallboy. and I'm thinking about doing the same on my trail pistol, but that's got the dedicated to kit area and I really want to carry a pump and plug it.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
There are quite a couple of folks that 3D print frame holders for their favorite tools. Not an option?

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
people having fun doesn't seem to be what's wrong with the industry. When 3 different standards of freeride e-bike specific steering wheels with integrated gyros hit the market...that's what's wrong with the industry

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
people having fun doesn't seem to be what's wrong with the industry. When 3 different standards of freeride e-bike specific steering wheels with integrated gyros hit the market...that's what's wrong with the industry
There's such a thing as 'too much fun'. I get the whole 'standards' and 'lizard kings' but honestly - what's the fucking point of taking a steering wheel off of an automobile and, putting it on a racebike?

Unless this is the beginnings - which I highly doubt - of there being a 'Formula' to Mountain Bike racing having one set of Tires, firm Suspension Parameters etc. be condensed and assigned to Team engineers as opposed to watching Frankenstein bust out of the Starting Hut time and again, this EXACTLY what is 'Wrong with the Industry'.

Apologies for having been a bike rider prior to teh interwebz sustaining life.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Because it's there.
Anyone have this rider's contact information? Jesus Christ - I have to book a date at one or more resorts this year, set up concessions, attract sponsors and maybe have a parade through town just because this has happened.
Can you imagine the revenue and attendance? Dozens and dozens of riders on Bicycles with Steering Wheels on them, crowds cheering, maybe a B52 Stealth Bomber flyover.

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Re Tools:

For quick/normal rides, I have this on my bike. If not, I just carry the multitool in my pocket. It's that light and small.

For bigger rides, I carry this with me. I found the water bottle mount is not that great and will try to vibrate free while chipping away at your fancy carbon frame. Nowadays, I put it in my SWAT vest or backpack. Basically a pump plus tools all in the pump. Easy peazy!

If I'm carrying the backpack, then I have this too, just in case.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I have the cheaper One-Up head tube tool and 2 carriers so that I can swap it between my fully and hardtail.
Both bikes have Lezyne pump attached to bottle cage and small seat/bar bags with tube, plugs, and boot.

For epics where I have a fanny pack or backpack, I carry miscellaneous other gear like zip ties, presta inner valves, chain links, etc.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Got to watch out with the frame fit on the zcage though. The tool kit interferes with the shock on some bikes, like the tallboy and probably any Santa Cruz lower link vpp bikes.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
There's such a thing as 'too much fun'. I get the whole 'standards' and 'lizard kings' but honestly - what's the fucking point of taking a steering wheel off of an automobile and, putting it on a racebike?

Unless this is the beginnings - which I highly doubt - of there being a 'Formula' to Mountain Bike racing having one set of Tires, firm Suspension Parameters etc. be condensed and assigned to Team engineers as opposed to watching Frankenstein bust out of the Starting Hut time and again, this EXACTLY what is 'Wrong with the Industry'.

Apologies for having been a bike rider prior to teh interwebz sustaining life.
if your argument is that someone is having too much fun on their bike I really do think you may be the problem.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
if your argument is that someone is having too much fun on their bike I really do think you may be the problem.
Not an argument - stating a fucking fact. That is utter stupidity.

'Fun' apparently is now performing stunts on a bike that'd entertain a pre-schooler - is this your argument? Seems to steadily ramp up at a factor of 2 as a theme in Mountain Bike as 'problems w/ the industry' ramp up at a factor of 3.

God forbid the Bicycle gets ridden for what it is.

...is that your argument? Not enough steering wheels on Bicycles?? Oh I get it, there's apparently a bar-spinner air somewhere in the video. Well smack my Ass and call me Judy.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I am guessing someone was just doing something stupid to make a youtube video to get hits and you helped them get some more. Didn't watch because I don't want similar videos popping up on my video suggestions.

Not an argument - stating a fucking fact. That is utter stupidity.

'Fun' apparently is now performing stunts on a bike that'd entertain a pre-schooler - is this your argument? Seems to steadily ramp up at a factor of 2 as a theme in Mountain Bike as 'problems w/ the industry' ramp up at a factor of 3.

God forbid the Bicycle gets ridden for what it is.

...is that your argument? Not enough steering wheels on Bicycles?? Oh I get it, there's apparently a bar-spinner air somewhere in the video. Well smack my Ass and call me Judy.
OK, Judy!

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
pilgrim is just good dumb fun. that he outrides most people on the jankiest of contraptions earns my respect.

that said, the off center steering wheel mounting offends my neurotic sensibilities

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Customer service.

I know-Rona...

But when you call and talk to someone and they tell you it will ship "next week" and you wait 2 weeks and it doesn't come.

You call up and they say there was an error when they ran your card. So you give them a different one and they say that they'll run it when they get back to the office after the holiday.

You watch your account, but nothings charged to it.

You call them back and just get excuse after excuse.

-We're waiting for them to get back from the "xxxx"

-They came in, but it was shipped to a different customer who was on the list after you by mistake.

-I thought you wanted it with a "****", not the "++++". We'll have to wait another week or two. But I promise, it will be soon.

-It's going to ship tomorrow or the next day.

Just STOP. Tell me what the real issue is. Months of bullshit isn't going to make me happy.

The truth will get you a lot more respect than making up excuses every time someone calls you.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Customer service.

I know-Rona...

But when you call and talk to someone and they tell you it will ship "next week" and you wait 2 weeks and it doesn't come.

You call up and they say there was an error when they ran your card. So you give them a different one and they say that they'll run it when they get back to the office after the holiday.

-They came in, but it was shipped to a different customer who was on the list after you by mistake.

-I thought you wanted it with a "****", not the "++++". We'll have to wait another week or two. But I promise, it will be soon.

Just STOP. Tell me what the real issue is. Months of bullshit isn't going to make me happy.

The truth will get you a lot more respect than making up excuses every time someone calls you.
Damn I got that bullshit on a professionally built engine from Cali back in like probably 2012. Supposed to be a 12 week lead time, every few weeks it would be done in 2 weeks. 9 months after I paid my engine showed up held to a partially broken pallet with 1 harbor freight ratchet strap and some shrink wrap.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Damn I got that bullshit on a professionally built engine from Cali back in like probably 2012. Supposed to be a 12 week lead time, every few weeks it would be done in 2 weeks. 9 months after I paid my engine showed up held to a partially broken pallet with 1 harbor freight ratchet strap and some shrink wrap.
I wanted to ask if it's Hennessey, but that's Texas...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Customer service.

I know-Rona...

I wonder what they did with your credit card info, if they didn't enter it right away.....

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Dunno if anyone here is watching or keeping track of PinkBike's Budget vs Baller series, but they've got out of their way to make the Budget stuff noticeably worse than the Baller options.

I guess the series sponsors wouldn't be too stoked if the Budget bike didn't lose considerable time on the Baller-upgraded model.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Customer service.

I know-Rona...

So this is not Avalanche?

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Dunno if anyone here is watching or keeping track of PinkBike's Budget vs Baller series, but they've got out of their way to make the Budget stuff noticeably worse than the Baller options.

I guess the series sponsors wouldn't be too stoked if the Budget bike didn't lose considerable time on the Baller-upgraded model.
This serie is a total nonsense! The baller bike got GX gears... how where they thinking?

I am done with pinkbike! What a bunch of amateurs!

GX gears on a baller bike, can you imagine? Is pinkbike oriented towards economically challenged people?
This has to stop!
Now!

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009

they could’ve done so much with the budget build, how to refurbish a fork, how to rebuild your brakes, which low tier group set pieces are a good place to save cash etc...instead it’s “let’s put this shitty catalogue part on your bike and make it worse than it was”

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

Lizards would not be too happy if people would realize that the best upgrade you can make to improve your times is the person riding the bike.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Good to know these toolset options are not that great, before I decide what route to take this summer. Happy with my rusty old folding set, but no slick option to get it onto the bike. I almost went with a One Up pump and toolkit but I am cheap. I have a pump and tool set and One Up’s complete kit is pricey.
Have you seen the Ninja? The normal cage was completely useless on a hardtail but I'm thinking I might give the side exit one a go now since the All In seems to also go All Out at times. I had whatever Scott's home brand is too, but because Scott bikes don't use 5mm(I think) Inhex screws the tool doesn't have a 5mm key, so it was useless.

1642582938294.png

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
they could’ve done so much with the budget build, how to refurbish a fork, how to rebuild your brakes, which low tier group set pieces are a good place to save cash etc...instead it’s “let’s put this shitty catalogue part on your bike and make it worse than it was”
The min/maxing series on NSMB is a lot better in that respect. It delves into the question of when makes sense to start with a lower spec bike and upgrade components as they wear/break, and when you start polishing a turd.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the vast majority of bike testers are not very big folks? the few times i've clicked on reviewer profiles they seem to be in the 160-170lbs range.