Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sorry, I should have taken the time to complete my sentence.

I meant to say "most of the fit role models in the world fall within that weight interval". I yet have to run into a MTB reviews website where the testers are ordinary overweight people.
fair enough, and that's what i'm getting at. there's a larger portion of the riding population (especially here in fatass america) that's well above those weights. and that puts more stress on bikes / components.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
We should start a review site, Jon. You can test the flatlander XC bikes and I test the e-bikes

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Dunno if anyone here is watching or keeping track of PinkBike's Budget vs Baller series, but they've got out of their way to make the Budget stuff noticeably worse than the Baller options.

I guess the series sponsors wouldn't be too stoked if the Budget bike didn't lose considerable time on the Baller-upgraded model.
I think this series is mainly entertainment and not so much about providing useful information. Unfortunately, it seems this is becoming the norm for Pinkbike.

Like it has been mentionned earlier, the Min-Maxing articles on NSMB are brilliant and much more useful. As a matter of fact, I find that pretty much all the articles by Andrew Major are great.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the vast majority of bike testers are not very big folks? the few times i've clicked on reviewer profiles they seem to be in the 160-170lbs range.
I work at a rental shop. That's the average weight of a MTBer. People outside that range are almost always women, children, or fat (not many fat people rent bikes in a 10,000ft valley where all rides start by climbing). Sure there's a couple tall guys but like 9 out of 10 bikes we set up are between 160-175lbs.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
isn’t 160-170lbs the norm when one is fit?
I'm an unfit, 6ft tall fleshbag, and I weight 187lbs, so I estimate your numbers are about right.

On a related note, I can understand how the USians might feel not represented at all by the average tester in the majority of the MTB sites. When I went to NYC I felt like a midget. Most of the people there was either as tall as me, or taller.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
I work at a rental shop. That's the average weight of a MTBer. People outside that range are almost always women, children, or fat (not many fat people rent bikes in a 10,000ft valley where all rides start by climbing). Sure there's a couple tall guys but like 9 out of 10 bikes we set up are between 160-175lbs.
I'M BIG BONED

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
This is surprising to me. I'm 6'2" and a shade under 200. Not fat. I know quite a few people built about the same but most do not MTB.

I would not have thought myself so aberant but helpful to know when considering the target audience for most products. Also explains why I had to give away the awesome Hand Up pants I bought because they fit like yoga pants...sigh.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
What wrong with that? Besides the fact that they're lighter than what rockshox designs around so they should always complain that their forks are super harsh compared to the other brands. If anything they need to include lighter riders, as someone who's between a medium and a small who's at the middle upper end of weight for someone who should be riding a small but is at the bottom of all the suspension charts. I'm 155 lbs and at 5'6" that's still slightly over weight. Which means anyone riding a small really should be between 120 and 165. So your average adult rider between 5'4" and 6'2" should be between 120 and 205 pounds.

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I know that Levy rides his bike every single day.

Since PB is obviously going after the wealthy newb segment of the MTB populace, it could be a smart idea to have a reviewer who is overweight and only rides their bike 4-5 times a month, mostly for the USA audience.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
see, that's the thing, even when i was super fit (back when i swam competitively, i was always at or above what was considered the "normal" weight for my height.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Y'all (apart from @SkaredShtles unless his cheese eating has greatly enhanced his svelte frame and I know @Bikael Molton isn't either) are clearly big boned.

I'd need to put on 25lb's to be Murican sized :D

edit: Levy must be pretty damn fit because I think he was doing constant 300W hill repeats for one of the efficiency test bike review segments.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I know that Levy rides his bike every single day.

Since PB is obviously going after the wealthy newb segment of the MTB populace, it could be a smart idea to have a reviewer who is overweight and only rides their bike 4-5 times a month, mostly for the USA audience.
this is from 2018, but based on this data (from PB) slightly more than 50% of their responses indicate they ride an average of 8 times or less per month (the 81-100 range is where the median lies, based on where the halfway point = of the 12514 total responses lies, so taking the top end of that range - 100 days - divided by 12 months / year gives 8.333 days per year. this also assumes 1 day = 1 ride). 8 days a month is roughly twice a week (or less).

using the same logic, 75% of riders ride 12.5 days per month or less. this works out to roughly 3 days a week (or less). [edit: this would be the 126-150 range]

for the 4-5 times a month you mentioned (or less), that's about 27.7% of the riders. (the 50 days per year works out to an avg of 4.17 days / month, adding the prior groups gives 3462 riders out of a total of 12514 responses).

1642619948893.png

Last edited:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Like it has been mentionned earlier, the Min-Maxing articles on NSMB are brilliant and much more useful. As a matter of fact, I find that pretty much all the articles by Andrew Major are great.
Most of them are pretty good. Some are just stupid though, trying to go against the grain for the sake of it. Like advocating using HG cassettes, for some convoluted reason. HG was and is an awful standard. I do not miss having to hammer cassettes off the freewheel because the splines deformed under load. HG+/MS is not much better.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Most of them are pretty good. Some are just stupid though, trying to go against the grain for the sake of it. Like advocating using HG cassettes, for some convoluted reason. HG was and is an awful standard. I do not miss having to hammer cassettes off the freewheel because the splines deformed under load. HG+/MS is not much better.
To be fair, the cause of that is soft freehub bodies and cassettes that separate into single rings. It doesn't really happen to one piece or pinned cassettes or steel freehub bodies.

XD cassettes are easy and simple to install and remove, but god damn they are expensive. I'd go back to HG if it wasn't slowly falling out of favour. I don't care about having a 10 or 9 tooth gear.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
To be fair, the cause of that is soft freehub bodies and cassettes that separate into single rings. It doesn't really happen to one piece or pinned cassettes or steel freehub bodies.

XD cassettes are easy and simple to install and remove, but god damn they are expensive. I'd go back to HG if it wasn't slowly falling out of favour. I don't care about having a 10 or 9 tooth gear.
Yeah, but from what I remember, part of his whole rationale for using HG was that you COULD use cassettes made of individual rings (so they could be replaced). And if the whole thing is about min/maxing, I'm guessing the freehub wouldn't be a fancy steel one. My experience with HG was on lower end hubs (low end DT, Stan's, Novatec), and the stupid freehubs wore out faster than the cheap cassettes.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
this is from 2018, but based on this data (from PB) slightly more than 50% of their responses indicate they ride an average of 8 times or less per month (the 81-100 range is where the median lies, based on where the halfway point = of the 12514 total responses lies, so taking the top end of that range - 100 days - divided by 12 months / year gives 8.333 days per year. this also assumes 1 day = 1 ride). 8 days a month is roughly twice a week (or less).

using the same logic, 75% of riders ride 12.5 days per month or less. this works out to roughly 3 days a week (or less). [edit: this would be the 126-150 range]

for the 4-5 times a month you mentioned (or less), that's about 27.7% of the riders. (the 50 days per year works out to an avg of 4.17 days / month, adding the prior groups gives 3462 riders out of a total of 12514 responses).

View attachment 170593

You forgot that some ride more in the summer and less in the winter. So some might max out on the possible ride days when the conditions allow and engage in other activities when no riding is possible because of the weather. That not necessarily means they are not training or not fit.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You forgot that some ride more in the summer and less in the winter. So some might max out on the possible ride days when the conditions allow and engage in other activities when no riding is possible because of the weather. That not necessarily means they are not training or not fit.
wasn't trying to correlate it to fitness, weather, etc. just some data regarding # of days riding in a year, as it was seemingly implied that riding "only" 4-5 times per month was below average.

edit - should also mention, that data doesn't break down type of riding - commuting, mtb (regardless of discipline), road, etc - or account for those those that ride more than once per day, so there's only so much that can be extrapolated.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
fair enough, and that's what i'm getting at. there's a larger portion of the riding population (especially here in fatass america) that's well above those weights. and that puts more stress on bikes / components.
To be fair, I imagine if you had a full time job riding bikes and then writing about them it might be difficult to remain "big-boned"