Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
That was sorta my point. These reviewers are paid to put in major miles.
Imagine showing up to a job interview as a cycling magazine reviewer being 100lbs overweight and trying to convince them you're not only an avid rider but experienced enough to pick up on subtle product differences.

At least the lizards could bribe you with donuts and beer to overlook glaring problems.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Most of them are pretty good. Some are just stupid though, trying to go against the grain for the sake of it. Like advocating using HG cassettes, for some convoluted reason. HG was and is an awful standard. I do not miss having to hammer cassettes off the freewheel because the splines deformed under load. HG+/MS is not much better.
I agree with you and I am not planning on going back to HG cassettes.

That being said, I do appreciate his effort to demonstrate how the HG driver flexibility can be helpful to fix your bike in the current situation of parts shortage, or to improve the chainline on your bike. Even though it is not necessarily for me, I much prefer such tinkering articles to the boring spec-sheet regurgitation often found in "Technical articles" on most mtb websites

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
“My saddle hurts, and I don’t know why”
Because - you bashed your L Knee into three stacked-levers on your handlebar? Sure, that'd be this marvelous setup going full-tilt-boogie 'in action' but what'd be the equal-but-opposite reaction?

Sore butt from craptacular ergonomics?
Sore wallet from being told outdated craptacular ergonomics updating to electronic blip-boxes being your only option to avoid raspberry on the kneecap??

UCI needs to reign in this outlaw and renegade approach to competitive cycling. XC Racers just can't have the option to have a suspension bike somehow revert back to a hardtail and expect to be taken seriously.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
To be fair, the cause of that is soft freehub bodies and cassettes that separate into single rings. It doesn't really happen to one piece or pinned cassettes or steel freehub bodies.

XD cassettes are easy and simple to install and remove, but god damn they are expensive. I'd go back to HG if it wasn't slowly falling out of favour. I don't care about having a 10 or 9 tooth gear.
I did some calcs and my X01 is still cheaper than an SLX, based on how long each lasts for me and cost/year.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Imagine showing up to a job interview as a cycling magazine reviewer being 100lbs overweight and trying to convince them you're not only an avid rider but experienced enough to pick up on subtle product differences.
counterpoint: anytime i read a review that says x component is plenty stiff or too stiff, and the review was done by a 160lb rider, i take it with a grain of salt. or maybe 50lbs worth of salt.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
counterpoint: anytime i read a review that says x component is plenty stiff or too stiff, and the review was done by a 160lb rider, i take it with a grain of salt. or maybe 50lbs worth of salt.

We need people to review bikes the way they are actually used. 200lb riders on under sprung long travel bikes ridden slowly on short 5 mile xc loops and flow trails.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The mtb-news.de webpage has at least two testers that are 185+ cm and 85+ kg (whatever this is in non SI units). They often actually write that their "regular" testers could not fault the stiffness of e.g. a fork, but their big boys did experience flex.
On the other hand, there is still the bias that most testers are above average riders. That just comes with the territory of riding that much I guess.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Same when I hear the 180 lb rider that's running the suspension full open that the ride is plush.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The mtb-news.de webpage has at least two testers that are 185+ cm and 85+ kg (whatever this is in non SI units). They often actually write that their "regular" testers could not fault the stiffness of e.g. a fork, but their big boys did experience flex.
On the other hand, there is still the bias that most testers are above average riders. That just comes with the territory of riding that much I guess.
good to know. can't say i've ever checked them out for their reviews, but i'm inclined to do so now.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
good to know. can't say i've ever checked them out for their reviews, but i'm inclined to do so now.
Johannes Herden is one of their big guys, can't remember the name of their second big guy.
Another tall rider, Jens Staudt, sadly left last year. He did an awesome series on trying to understand and communicate bike geometry. It culminated in prototype bikes he rode and tested his ideas with. He convinced Pivot to make them. Final article of the series is here: https://www.mtb-news.de/news/forschungsprojekt-mountainbike-geometrie-finale/ (you need to Google translate it, minus the interview with Chris Coccalis)

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Breckenridge is anti ebike. They're only allowed on dirtbike trails.
Being new to eBiking, but not new to Breck. How do they anticipate enforcing any eBike rules? I've never, never, seen any kind of "trail" law enforcement official anywhere in Breck. Have you? I'm actually serious and curious.

Police, yes, but trail USFS? No. It's almost like Moab and that poor girl on the news. I was like, "they have police in Moab?". Never seen one. But could have used one when a gazzilion side by sides where wrecking havoc at 2am by my campsite. :D

So let me ask you this, do you think I'd get in trouble for using my eBike doing the Peaks to Peaks trail? For example?

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Being new to eBiking, but not new to Breck. How do they anticipate enforcing any eBike rules? I've never, never, seen any kind of "trail" law enforcement official anywhere in Breck. Have you? I'm actually serious and curious.

Police, yes, but trail USFS? No. It's almost like Moab and that poor girl on the news. I was like, "they have police in Moab?". Never seen one. But could have used one when a gazzilion side by sides where wrecking havoc at 2am by my campsite. :D

So let me ask you this, do you think I'd get in trouble for using my eBike doing the Peaks to Peaks trail? For example?
All it takes is 1 ebiker to buzz a Karen and all the nimbys will band together and ban all bikes since they can't figure out how to tell the difference. That's how they'll enforce the new ebike rule, people will break it, Karen will complain, they'll realize the can't enforce it without banning all bikes and ban all bikes as a result.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Companies making winter riding shoes/boots that have massive built up heal treads and bullshit around the forefoot/toe area. And no option to put in toe spikes.

Yeah, it isn't their main market for sure. If I'm having to use foot power in the winter, it's pretty much always on the uphill, or on icy shit. Where I'm up on my toes/balls of feet. Yeah, I get they need to have room for the cleat interface, but even then there is room to beef up the treads up front.

Flats and big boots? FTS. Those sorts of shoes sufferr the same issue.

It's why I resort to this kind of shit.

IMG_0190.JPG

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I appreciate this viewpoint and share it in some ways, but that is definitely not how USFS makes rule changes.

All it takes is 1 ebiker to buzz a Karen and all the nimbys will band together and ban all bikes since they can't figure out how to tell the difference. That's how they'll enforce the new ebike rule, people will break it, Karen will complain, they'll realize the can't enforce it without banning all bikes and ban all bikes as a result.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
What makes me think it’s a joke is the ‘20kilo’ threshold. Imaging having 45 pounds on your head, let alone wiping out with that? Neck snap…
I already do not understand folks riding with a GoPro on their helmet.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Yeah, I can see that being the case at the local park system for sure!

Karen has to complain....