Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
One vote for Shimano for changing the size of their BB shells, and one for me for forgetting and buying the same BB for a second time-
Shitmano.jpg

I'll just donate them to a LBS and buy one from a decent brand.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
All it takes is 1 ebiker to buzz a Karen and all the nimbys will band together and ban all bikes since they can't figure out how to tell the difference. That's how they'll enforce the new ebike rule, people will break it, Karen will complain, they'll realize the can't enforce it without banning all bikes and ban all bikes as a result.
A notorious world class rider from Sedona that has been banned multiple times decided to police the trails for dogs off leash. When my buddy reminded him that e bikes were off limits in Sedona he decided to slowly relocate himself.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
so is something actually wrong with it? or do you just not like that they changed it?
Well for one, you need a new tool and not all of them come with a new tool.

Another is they changed the size of the bearings, so probably no more easily sourceable quality bearings...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
A notorious world class rider from Sedona that has been banned multiple times decided to police the trails for dogs off leash. When my buddy reminded him that e bikes were off limits in Sedona he decided to slowly relocate himself.
This world class rider wouldn't have been making some world-class trail "improvements" would he?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Another is they changed the size of the bearings, so probably no more easily sourceable quality bearings...
both of mine did, and i've since acquired a BB socket for it. so if anybody needs one hit me up.

were the bearings in the large diameter ones replaceable? i don't recall ever needing to do it, especially when replacements are so inexpensive.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Being new to eBiking, but not new to Breck. How do they anticipate enforcing any eBike rules? I've never, never, seen any kind of "trail" law enforcement official anywhere in Breck. Have you? I'm actually serious and curious.

Police, yes, but trail USFS? No. It's almost like Moab and that poor girl on the news. I was like, "they have police in Moab?". Never seen one. But could have used one when a gazzilion side by sides where wrecking havoc at 2am by my campsite. :D

So let me ask you this, do you think I'd get in trouble for using my eBike doing the Peaks to Peaks trail? For example?
Enforcement would be by forest rangers or sheriff's deputies. I've certainly seen rangers in the woods around Breck, but mostly in the Tiger Road area because that's where all the side-by-sides and dirtbikes are so they're checking registrations. I have not seen any officials specifically enforcing ebike bans and I have heard of people seeing ebikes on trails they shouldn't be on. If you rode Peaks Trail I think there's a 50/50 chance of someone bitching at you but that's it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
both of mine did, and i've since acquired a BB socket for it. so if anybody needs one hit me up.

were the bearings in the large diameter ones replaceable? i don't recall ever needing to do it, especially when replacements are so inexpensive.
Shimano ran a bearing with a sleeve, I'm not sure if it was 6806, but if not, it was probably pretty damn close and then you could buy the enduro bearings aftermarket with no sleeve, but this new size is smaller outer diameter, not just inner (doesn't use a sleeve anymore). The old style ones were at least replaceable with a few options, are the new ones?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Enforcement would be by forest rangers or sheriff's deputies. I've certainly seen rangers in the woods around Breck, but mostly in the Tiger Road area because that's where all the side-by-sides and dirtbikes are so they're checking registrations. I have not seen any officials specifically enforcing ebike bans and I have heard of people seeing ebikes on trails they shouldn't be on. If you rode Peaks Trail I think there's a 50/50 chance of someone bitching at you but that's it.
OK. Thanks for that! Not that I'm looking to ride the eeb on Peaks, just curious. Believe it or not, I'm quite anal on what legal trails I ride the eeb. Especially if I'm visiting resort towns like Breck. Cuz I don't want to be the nimby that got it all ruined!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Shimano ran a bearing with a sleeve, I'm not sure if it was 6806, but if not, it was probably pretty damn close and then you could buy the enduro bearings aftermarket with no sleeve, but this new size is smaller outer diameter, not just inner (doesn't use a sleeve anymore). The old style ones were at least replaceable with a few options, are the new ones?
still has the inner sleeve.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'll just donate them to a LBS and buy one from a decent brand.
A decent brand? lolwut?

Yeah I hate the combination of inexpensive and bloody durable that Shimano has come out with. You should definitely donate those to me and run a much more expensive option that offers nothing more except working with the tool you have already.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
This world class rider wouldn't have been making some world-class trail "improvements" would he?
Hmm, maybe I have said too much? Yea, pretty sure u know whom i am speaking of. Hard to be self-righteous when u are illegally poaching on an ebike

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
A decent brand? lolwut?

Yeah I hate the combination of inexpensive and bloody durable that Shimano has come out with. You should definitely donate those to me and run a much more expensive option that offers nothing more except working with the tool you have already.
Is there another fishing tackle/bike brand I should look at?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
For the price of about 10 of the XTR bottom brackets you can try the Cane Creek Hellbender. Or for merely 5 XT bottom brackets you can get the Hope ones.

For me, I've legit never had a Shimano Hollowtech BB die in a timeframe that made me feel like I got ripped off. They're like $45 and have lasted me ages.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
For the price of about 10 of the XTR bottom brackets you can try the Cane Creek Hellbender. Or for merely 5 XT bottom brackets you can get the Hope ones.

For me, I've legit never had a Shimano Hollowtech BB die in a timeframe that made me feel like I got ripped off. They're like $45 and have lasted me ages.
100% agree. plus here they're like $29. put them with xt cranks and fuhgeddaboutit.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
For all the complaining, yeah the shimano BBs are pretty dirt cheap and work pretty good. I'm pissed that the tool wasn't included, but I got it as a cheap BB to work with my 24mil metal RF cranks.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Is he an…older…gentleman, who also claims to have built a lot of UPS/LPS?
So his trailbuilding efforts WERE good and he did a lot of good. The thing is he would go out of his way to be an ass about everything, boasting and just egging people on. He would go to the real screwed up sections in Sedona where there was no way possible to do them and rehab them. The end result may have "seemed" a little sanitized for people watching at home, but you go ride the trail and you realize that the section was just way beyond hope. It's an on-going process where stuff erodes, becomes more techy, but eventually degrades to the point where it's just a trainwreck. He was fixing trainwreck spots, but he was boasting about how he was santizing it and dumbing it down and so on. He really wasn't, he was just trying to push people's buttons. Well, he pushed the Forest Service's button and they took him to court. I forget if he spent jail time, but he was banned from the forest for something like at least a year. He also did a lot of work making stuff that would later be incorporated into the official trail network. His beef was that the boyfriend of the regional ranger was also making "illegal" trails, and he didn't go to jail or get fined...but again, John was out there trying to push everyone's buttons and basically looking for a fight...which he eventually got.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
So his trailbuilding efforts WERE good and he did a lot of good. The thing is he would go out of his way to be an ass about everything, boasting and just egging people on. He would go to the real screwed up sections in Sedona where there was no way possible to do them and rehab them. The end result may have "seemed" a little sanitized for people watching at home, but you go ride the trail and you realize that the section was just way beyond hope. It's an on-going process where stuff erodes, becomes more techy, but eventually degrades to the point where it's just a trainwreck. He was fixing trainwreck spots, but he was boasting about how he was santizing it and dumbing it down and so on. He really wasn't, he was just trying to push people's buttons. Well, he pushed the Forest Service's button and they took him to court. I forget if he spent jail time, but he was banned from the forest for something like at least a year. He also did a lot of work making stuff that would later be incorporated into the official trail network. His beef was that the boyfriend of the regional ranger was also making "illegal" trails, and he didn't go to jail or get fined...but again, John was out there trying to push everyone's buttons and basically looking for a fight...which he eventually got.
Wasn't gonna out by name, however in later years esp during the previous govt shut down, he took it upon himself to service the local pit toilets. Truly world class.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'm pissed that the tool wasn't included
Personally I'm thankful if they've stopped including the adapter tool. By this point they probably figured most people have got them, I've been using the "smaller" Shimano BB's for several years. I've got about 5 adapters sitting in a drawer and don't need any more plastic waste.

I'd put this into the something right with the industry thread.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

When did this happen? I hadn't noticed anything of late... this goes back about 8 years. I appear to have the tool required for the various shimano bbs I have. Park bbt-9 The long silver wrench with the flower preload shape on the other side.

Unclear what the issue @HardtailHack is having.

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 9.59.36 AM.png

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Oh man, the toilet seats!

maybe this means hbcutthecoursein1990 will make a comeback too.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
LOL

“ RP Designs' first component, The Smart-Cockpit, is an integrated touch screen built into the handlebar — flat bar and drop bar designs — that features wireless Apple Carplay and Android Auto technology.”

Oh man, the toilet seats!