Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
When did Maxxis change the Exo+ from 120tpi with silkshield to 60tpi with a heavier exo layer? I guess I'm just a little slow, but I do not remember this. I have an original Exo+ and I liked it better than the same thing in Exo when doing a back to back. Thought it had a better feel. I need new shoes for the trailbike and I looked and both Assegai and Dissector are both showing as 60tpi. The only 120 is DD.
Has anything actually changed? If you go look at all of their SKUs it doesn't look like 120tpi EXO+ was ever really a thing.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Has anything actually changed? If you go look at all of their SKUs it doesn't look like 120tpi EXO+ was ever really a thing.
Not too sure what to say other than a running production change with updated web and no media notification?

Exo+ was originally marketed as 120tpi with silkshield

for example - from Vital

EXO+ Tire Features
  • Silk Shield
  • 120 TPI
  • 3C Maxx Terra triple compound
  • Designed for aggressive trail, e-MTB, and enduro riding
  • Currently available on Minion DHF, Minion DHRII, Assegai and Rekon varieties
EXO+ Versus EXO
  • 27% increase in puncture protection under tread
  • 51% increase in sidewall durability
  • 28% increase in pinch flat resistance
  • Approximately 80 grams heavier per tire, depending on tire size
  • Small additional cost (~$2 to $5 USD), depending on model

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Not too sure what to say other than a running production change with updated web and no media notification?

Exo+ was originally marketed as 120tpi with silkshield

for example - from Vital
You're right, just went and looked in my tire stash. That said...does this mean I can sell my 120TPI EXO+ tires for $200 each? :D

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
You're right, just went and looked in my tire stash. That said...does this mean I can sell my 120TPI EXO+ tires for $200 each? :D

That is what I want 29 Assegai 120tpi Exo+ MaxxGrip.
You wouldn't happen to have a 120tpi Exo+ MaxxTerra Dissector as well would you? :D

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Is that EXO+ or DD?

I haven't tried EXO+ on the Enduro bike. I had too many flats trying EXO and now run just DD (120tpi) or SuperGravity

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Is that EXO+ or DD?

I haven't tried EXO+ on the Enduro bike. I had too many flats trying EXO and now run just DD (120tpi) or SuperGravity
Both of those tires I posted are EXO+. I find them to be fine for the trail bike on rides that aren't rocky. As soon as it gets chunky though the DDs come out.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I went in four different bike shops today, I don't think I'd been in once since 2019.

Apparently buying a bike is unobtainium until 2023 for what I was after.

Anyone would think there was a pandemic induced supply chain issue or something.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I went in four different bike shops today, I don't think I'd been in once since 2019.

Anyone would think there was a pandemic induced supply chain issue or something.
this is why i'm looking at larger wheels and a reach adjust headset for my obsolete dh bike

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA

I ordered a bike in mid December and it's supposed to arrive in early April. Fingers crossed that holds. I was limited to basically one model, build kit, and color because every other option I was interested in wasn't going to be available until the end of 2022.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
7% claimed reduction in punctures?

I'd have thought 50PSI would decrease the odds of punctures MOAR than that TBH

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
When did Maxxis change the Exo+ from 120tpi with silkshield to 60tpi with a heavier exo layer? I guess I'm just a little slow, but I do not remember this. I have an original Exo+ and I liked it better than the same thing in Exo when doing a back to back. Thought it had a better feel. I need new shoes for the trailbike and I looked and both Assegai and Dissector are both showing as 60tpi. The only 120 is DD.

Old
View attachment 171185

New
View attachment 171186
turns out i've got both examples in the tire pile. the butyl insert adds quite a bit of support to the bead/sidewall area. the old version is pretty flimsy in comparison. haven't ridden the new tire yet, but seems like a positive change.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
turns out i've got both examples in the tire pile. the butyl insert adds quite a bit of support to the bead/sidewall area. the old version is pretty flimsy in comparison. haven't ridden the new tire yet, but seems like a positive change.
Very nice!
How does the area under the tread compare?

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
The Martin Whiteley article is still behind a paywall for me...

What is Beta MTB? Some sort of another Pinkbike under the Outside umbrella?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Beta is Outside's MTB print mag, with many employees formerly from Bike.

And Beta has been paywalled since launch.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, the problem here is actually the writer in the auto industry. This pile of drivel is an insult to anyone who can either read, or ride a bike. Gag-worthy.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
So, the problem here is actually the writer in the auto industry. This pile of drivel is an insult to anyone who can either read, or ride a bike. Gag-worthy.

I like the title of this article better, but generally, that site is dumb?

So, why bother?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
This is probably in here 98 times already, so I'm going for 99, but 35mm bars.

They all feel like scaffolding poles.

Haven't ridden one yet that I didn't dislike. The expense of needing to swap stem and bars on a new bike back to 31.8mm is annoying.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
This is probably in here 98 times already, so I'm going for 99, but 35mm bars.

They all feel like scaffolding poles.

Haven't ridden one yet that I didn't dislike. The expense of needing to swap stem and bars on a new bike back to 31.8mm is annoying.
There are like 2 good ones, and they're good because they don't feel like 35mm bars.

Some smart guy said stuff about this recently.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'm venting a little but what the hell happened to the prices? This week I've seen at least quite a few companies hike their prices by 700-800 Euro on their lower end bikes. I know the supply chain is screwed but did we really reach the point where an entry level bike is 4k+ ? Crusty old dudes like me can afford it but what if you're a kid? It's not like entry level jobs pay 2x as much as 10years ago. Can't imagine starting in this sport right now.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'm venting a little but what the hell happened to the prices? This week I've seen at least quite a few companies hike their prices by 700-800 Euro on their lower end bikes. I know the supply chain is screwed but did we really reach the point where an entry level bike is 4k+ ? Crusty old dudes like me can afford it but what if you're a kid? It's not like entry level jobs pay 2x as much as 10years ago. Can't imagine starting in this sport right now.
If you're a kid, you must have a well to do and/or resourceful parent. Or just ride a bmx.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If you're a kid, you must have a well to do and/or resourceful parent. Or just ride a bmx.
If you're a kid in places like Poland you already needed that. Now? Damn. Soon this sport will become like Polo or some other shit and only kids named Grayson will be allowed to participate.