Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Just waiting for the onboard cameras, a la MotoGP...
Bigger road races often have cameras pointing from behind the saddle on some riders.

The safety argument from the UCI on the drone ban is slightly weak given how many road races have issues with the camera motorbikes and cars occasionally taking out a rider or two.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Bigger road races often have cameras pointing from behind the saddle on some riders.

The safety argument from the UCI on the drone ban is slightly weak given how many road races have issues with the camera motorbikes and cars occasionally taking out a rider or two.

I think Redbull was taking drone video during practice at one of the world cup races last year and riders were complaining about it a lot. I can see getting used to all kinds of crowd noise but having something noisy following you could fuck with your sense of speed.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think Redbull was taking drone video during practice at one of the world cup races last year and riders were complaining about it a lot. I can see getting used to all kinds of crowd noise but having something noisy following you could fuck with your sense of speed.
RB uses drones for Natural Selection. but the terrain on that comp is much more open

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Not disagreeing, a drone buzzing alongside me while breathing out my eyeballs would make it on to the kill list very quickly.

But safety is a weak argument for banning them.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Not disagreeing, a drone buzzing alongside me while breathing out my eyeballs would make it on to the kill list very quickly.

But safety is a weak argument for banning them.
Typical drone-use regulations and policy has centered on safety of non-participants. Safety of participants hasn't been a real big deal, yet. Like, is it right for a race waiver to sign away all of your safety rights in that a drone may run into your wheel or something? What precautions are being taken, how is the race being set up to protect the participants, in addition to the non-participants? Questions that need to be answered other than just free-for-all drones everywhere.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
The better writers are behind that wall. For free, you get press releases and polls about "How tight do you close your presta valve caps?"

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Kyle Warner riding and producing content again is great news.

Kyle Warner continuing to insist he's not pushing an agenda and that his story hasn't been co-opted by nutjobs doesn't pass the straight face test any longer.

He's been hanging out with a logic-free cadre of public health and social policy misfits for a year now. He knows what he's doing, whether or not he'll admit that.

Now he's claiming an experimental treatment is bringing him back to life. It's like watching a loved one with cancer go to a faith healer.

"hot take", I know.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Kyle Warner riding and producing content again is great news.

Kyle Warner continuing to insist he's not pushing an agenda and that his story hasn't been co-opted by nutjobs doesn't pass the straight face test any longer.

He's been hanging out with a logic-free cadre of public health and social policy misfits for a year now. He knows what he's doing, whether or not he'll admit that.

Now he's claiming an experimental treatment is bringing him back to life. It's like watching a loved one with cancer go to a faith healer.

"hot take", I know.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Onterrible.... @mykel

Our local and only lift accessed DH hill just released this years season pass prices; $349 for the early bird price.

In 2020 the early bird price was $140.

BALLS

The price hike is in absolutely no coincidence that last year, the bigger lift accessed hill decided that bikes are no longer allowed on the lift and their DH trails are more suitable for family hikers.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Onterrible.... @mykel

Our local and only lift accessed DH hill just released this years season pass prices; $349 for the early bird price.

In 2020 the early bird price was $140.

BALLS

The price hike is in absolutely no coincidence that last year, the bigger lift accessed hill decided that bikes are no longer allowed on the lift and their DH trails are more suitable for family hikers.
Yup, just saw that.
Figured they would be about 199 and I would grab one as I'm usually there enough to justify, but at 349? Ya, No, would rather put that toward Bromont.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yup, just saw that.
Figured they would be about 199 and I would grab one as I'm usually there enough to justify, but at 349? Ya, No, would rather put that toward Bromont.
Yeah Bromont is the best alternative, especially at those costs.

Though Bromont has gone up too, their passes are $500 for the year now. :(

Remember when Bromont was around $220 or something and you could pay an extra few dollars to also use the water park? Then again, if you go on the weekend they have 5 chair lifts running now...

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Yup, just saw that.
I think the prices are probably going up for all bike parks this year, again.

I bought my pass for SDM today. 285$, compared to 189$ in 2020. They also announced a 25% eBike tax and people are loosing their shit. The trails there are absolutely amazing (world class, really), so I'm not complaining.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Yeah Bromont is the best alternative, especially at those costs.

Though Bromont has gone up too, their passes are $500 for the year now. :(

Remember when Bromont was around $220 or something and you could pay an extra few dollars to also use the water park? Then again, if you go on the weekend they have 5 chair lifts running now...
The gondola at MSA should be in operation next summer, you should come over. If you recall, we met on the (shitty) climb to the Panorama Express in 2020 and only realized who we were on the :monkey: a few days later. :)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think the prices are probably going up for all bike parks this year, again.

I bought my pass for SDM today. 285$, compared to 189$ in 2020. They also announced a 25% eBike tax and people are loosing their shit. The trails there are absolutely amazing (world class, really), so I'm not complaining.
yea, my local park is up this year. i bitched about it previously.