Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
snowshoe's still $300 (i don't think that's up but if so maybe $50 max). problem is, as fun as it is, it's "local" to almost no one. but if you plan to go more than two trips it's prolly worth it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I always wanted to get a Bromont and MSA trip in when I lived in the NE. Alas, never happened.

I was only looking earlier to see if Winter Park has listed their summer pass prices yet, nope. I still harbor a small hope that MTB Parks Pass will do something to refund with all the money they pocketed from people who didn't take 2020 passes...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The gondola at MSA should be in operation next summer, you should come over. If you recall, we met on the (shitty) climb to the Panorama Express in 2020 and only realized who we were on the :monkey: a few days later. :)
Ah yes, definitely need to go back to MSA. We went again last fall, but just after they stopped operating the gondola.

Would definitely be nice not having to worry about that climb. :D

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I think the prices are probably going up for all bike parks this year, again.

I bought my pass for SDM today. 285$, compared to 189$ in 2020. They also announced a 25% eBike tax and people are loosing their shit. The trails there are absolutely amazing (world class, really), so I'm not complaining.
I bought my season's pass there a few times a few years ago, but the prices are getting ridiculous. No lifts obviously, government-funded trail building and maintenance on private properties that aren't even theirs for the most part (the area across the street). I used to build trails for a living and I know how it works in the province and at their trail centre since I've built there too. The trails are awesome, but it's sooo crowded nowadays with so many bro dudes waiting at the top giving you the once over without saying hi that I won't even go anymore.

I bought a fatbike day-pass yesterday (20$) and half the trails (the best ones!) weren't even open, probably because they didn't feel like driving the snowmobile for an hour or two. Rant over. Fuck them.

Last edited:

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
Whistler's bike park pass is now only about $150 cheaper (2021 $855) than winter pass (Epic ~$1000cdn)...I haven't had a bike park pass in years.
damn. i spent quite a few years with a wbp pass, banging off laps every weekend, but the motivation to buck up for even a day pass these days is waning. inevitably the crowds contribute to an overall underwhelming experience. paying a premium to stand in half hour lines sucks. rather drive out to sun peaks.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Are you familiar with supply and demand? Apply that concept to the number of people who want to mountainlike and the the employees required to run such an operation.
So kinda like when they need to install and operate a new lift to deal with the increased number of riders?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So kinda like when they need to install and operate a new lift to deal with the increased number of riders?

Price of items is rarely based on cost.

If you were selling your house today would you accept an offer based on what it cost you or based on what you could get for it?

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I bought my season's pass there a few times a few years ago, but the prices are getting ridiculous. No lifts obviously, government-funded trail building and maintenance on private properties that aren't even theirs for the most part (the area across the street). I used to build trails for a living and I know how it works in the province and at their trail centre since I've built there too. The trails are awesome, but it's sooo crowded nowadays with so many bro dudes waiting at the top giving you the once over without saying hi that I won't even go anymore.

I bought a fatbike day-pass yesterday (20$) and half the trails (the best ones!) weren't even open, probably because they didn't feel like driving the snowmobile for an hour or two. Rant over. Fuck them.
Yeah, I've been riding for a long time and it's a bit crazy how much more expensive it has become. I can't say I am surprised though. With the rapidly increasing popularity of the sport, it was kind of expected.

That being said, I just accept it and pay the new price without being mad. They put a lot of work for building new trails and maintaining them. Paying higher prices sucks, but if the trails are nice, that's all that matter. I just buy my passes at SDM, E47 and MSA-DH...and I don't even care whether I get my money worth from all passes or not. I just ride wherever I feel like riding on any given days and that's the end of it. :)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yeah, I've been riding for a long time and it's a bit crazy how much more expensive it has become. I can't say I am surprised though. With the rapidly increasing popularity of the sport, it was kind of expected.

That being said, I just accept it and pay the new price without being mad. They put a lot of work for building new trails and maintaining them. Paying higher prices sucks, but if the trails are nice, that's all that matter. I just buy my passes at SDM, E47 and MSA-DH...and I don't even care whether I get my money worth from all passes or not. I just ride wherever I feel like riding on any given days and that's the end of it. :)
Prices aside, yall are lucky with the amount and quality of the trails over there in Quebec.

I'm not envious at all! :busted: :busted:

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
@FlipSide I wish I could buy a few different trail centre passes and experience things the way you do, but I can't afford it and I'm stuck to just riding the same place over and over all summer long if I buy a pass somewhere. At least there are a few local spots that are free, but those get old pretty quick when that's all what's left to ride and you were used to ride the cool trails. They could do a provincial pass to regroup a few centres, but I'm not seeing that happen anytime soon.

I just had a kid and in a few years, will I still be able to afford to ride trails with him around here, or will day passes be as expensive as snowboarding (even if there are no lifts)? Will there still be any free trails at all ? I've stopped snowboarding and dh riding because those were getting too expensive for what I could afford, but if (when) it happens with trail riding I'll be seriously pissed.

I acknowledge that the trails are awesome in the province and I'm not complaining on the quality at all, but still, paying 1000$ to get 3 trail centre season passes without lift access is something I have trouble getting my head around. I happily pay for day passes if I am on vacation somewhere, but since my regular rides are 2-3 hours max, it's not worth paying 25$ each time and sometimes have to drive 2+ hours.

Oh well, I guess I was spoiled riding many seasons in BC and Yukon for free everywhere (You guys have it easy, enjoy it while you can!). I still bought the local association or club membership (20-60$) every summer, which I thought was very fair.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
It's only to make sure that the rest of the world knows that we canucks are also doing our part to generate wrong things in the industry™

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
@FlipSide I wish I could buy a few different trail centre passes and experience things the way you do, but I can't afford it and I'm stuck to just riding the same place over and over all summer long if I buy a pass somewhere. At least there are a few local spots that are free, but those get old pretty quick when that's all what's left to ride and you were used to ride the cool trails. They could do a provincial pass to regroup a few centres, but I'm not seeing that happen anytime soon.

I just had a kid and in a few years, will I still be able to afford to ride trails with him around here, or will day passes be as expensive as snowboarding (even if there are no lifts)? Will there still be any free trails at all ? I've stopped snowboarding and dh riding because those were getting too expensive for what I could afford, but if (when) it happens with trail riding I'll be seriously pissed.

I acknowledge that the trails are awesome in the province and I'm not complaining on the quality at all, but still, paying 1000$ to get 3 trail centre season passes without lift access is something I have trouble getting my head around. I happily pay for day passes if I am on vacation somewhere, but since my regular rides are 2-3 hours max, it's not worth paying 25$ each time and sometimes have to drive 2+ hours.

Oh well, I guess I was spoiled riding many seasons in BC and Yukon for free everywhere (You guys have it easy, enjoy it while you can!). I still bought the local association or club membership (20-60$) every summer, which I thought was very fair.
I understand completely and be sure I have not been able to afford >1000$ worth of passes my entire life. I am very lucky to be able to afford that now. It still hurts my wallet significantly, but mtb is pretty high on my priority list, so I make it work.

For years, we've been told that the more people in mtb, the better. Things will get more affordable, they said. They were lying.

On the other hand, many of us thought instead that the golf-ization of mountain biking was probably not a good thing for all aspects; I think we were right. I was particularly worried about trails becoming easier everywhere and about trail access prices. There was clearly a very dark (but somewhat brief) period when flow trails took over and Karens were complaining a lot about the few rocks remaining in the trails, but this is a thing of the past and there is no shortage of challenging trails in the region now. I prefer having great trails with expensive access than shit trails that are cheaper to ride.

Congrats on the kid! Family mtb rides are a lot of fun.