Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What kind of riding do you do at 10F that needs a dropper? Aren't most places pretty covered in snow by that point? I kinda get bundling up on my road bike just to feel tires rolling when it's in the 30's, but past that it just seems like kind of a bummer. 10f sounds gnarly. Fatbiking?
i live in southeast PA. we rarely get snow anymore, when we do its either so little that a regular MTB is fine, or so much that not even a fat bike will work. we still get some pretty good cold snaps, just without the snow. i think the coldest i've ridden here is in the 0-5F range, before accounting for windchill. its honestly not bad, it really is just matter of proper layering and keeping skin covered once its that cold. bonus is that i rarely encounter anyone else out in those temps.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
What's that?

JK, I only do the slick honey under the collar when I feel like there's stiction.

That said, one thing that I noticed that makes me like the Brand-X more is that when I want it, it's there. Sometimes I'll go to lower the KS and even with my weight on it, it doesn't react immediately. It's like I need to get up and kinda force back on to it to initiate it. It's not frequent or bothersome really. But it is noticeable and a hindrance when it happens.
yeah mine was doing that, looked like flo33's after a year.
I think the caustic ass sweat pushes right past the weak wiper seal
its too bad they dont use a garter spring on the seal like a fox transfer and some others do, i think it would greatly extend the service interval

if you take it all the way apart and clean it out, it will run smooth as new for a while.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
What kind of riding do you do at 10F that needs a dropper? Aren't most places pretty covered in snow by that point? I kinda get bundling up on my road bike just to feel tires rolling when it's in the 30's, but past that it just seems like kind of a bummer. 10f sounds gnarly. Fatbiking?
If you have ever had to get back on your (fat) bike when the packed snow trail is only 10-15” wide, but the snow off to the sides is thigh deep, you would understand instantly.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
If you have ever had to get back on your (fat) bike when the packed snow trail is only 10-15” wide, but the snow off to the sides is thigh deep, you would understand instantly.
I have not - I have, in fact, never owned a fatbike.

I've also never lived somewhere that I couldn't ride year round. Except Texas. Fuck that place. Weather sucks year round, terrain is flat. PNW, California, and the Southeast have been good to me.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
10f is -12C... that's prime temps for outdoor winter fun... not too cold imo. gets much colder here!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
This.

You also learn pretty quickly to rest against trees rather than putting feet down, if the ground is questionable. I think we've all had that oops moment of standing over the top tube, only to have your feet sink down a foot into the snow. Nothing gets the blood flowing like slamming your family jewels full force into your bike.....and then having to find a way to get off and back on the bike.

Droppers make this much easier.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have not - I have, in fact, never owned a fatbike.

I've also never lived somewhere that I couldn't ride year round. Except Texas. Fuck that place. Weather sucks year round, terrain is flat. PNW, California, and the Southeast have been good to me.
only time i can't ride here is during the thaw, which this year was basically december through about now. it's honestly nice when it gets and stays cold so the trails freeze over.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Any riding with hills?
I don't have a dropper on my road bike. I guess I figured most off road riding that I'd want a dropper for would be snowed in when you're living somewhere it gets that cold. Today I learned

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I don't have a dropper on my road bike. I guess I figured most off road riding that I'd want a dropper for would be snowed in when you're living somewhere it gets that cold. Today I learned
We ride a lot of the same trails in the winter, trails with jumps, drops, elevation change, etc. We make other trails that don't exist in the summer, with jumps, drops, elevation change, etc. We build other super tight and twisty trails in low lying areas that have some fun tech stuff. A dropper is great for all of this stuff. I used it on the Iditarod for the primary reason of making it easier to get on and off the 65lb bike. You can't just lean the bike and hop your leg over, the bike slides out because it's too heavy for that, so you end up often having to "hop" on and off, which is murder on the body parts after a while, not to mention any time it's soft it makes it hugely easier to get back on. But despite that having a lot of flat over 320 miles, it had a lot of descending and tech stuff too. So nice to be able to slam the seat for stuff. There are a few winter endurance races where I'm sure I could get along without one just fine, but the Iditarod for the long-term toll it takes on body parts is not one of those and it's simply just as useful to me on a fat-bike as on a mountain bike.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
My road bike has a dropper and I bloody love it. I'm super new to drop bar bikes to be fair but just subtle changes in seat height to reduce fatigue is a amazing.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
The older (lazy) I get I use the dropper to get on the bike even in nice weather. Especially on a longer travel bike.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
My road bike has a dropper and I bloody love it. I'm super new to drop bar bikes to be fair but just subtle changes in seat height to reduce fatigue is a amazing.
How? If your saddle height is correct your legs should not fatigue.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Source? That configuration isn't listed on the fox website.
My bad - I misread something - thought we were talking about the old school Gravity Dropper.

IMO, if one wanted utmost reliability (at the loss of infinite adjustment and internal routing) that is the best option. Pair it with your remote of choice, as the stock unit sucks.

The spare post that lives in the back of the car bike box is a ten year old full up/1" drop/4" drop Gravity Dropper paired with an old KS remote. Not pretty, but reliable. Has been used twice now in a pinch to replace other busted droppers on riding trips, once for me, once for a buddy. Far, far nicer than being stuck using a regular post!

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
How? If your saddle height is correct your legs should not fatigue.
It's entirely possible I've got the bike set up wrong as I'm not super familiar with road bikes, but its more a case of me using the dropper just to change position occasionally to stop my back hurting and to just stretch a bit without getting off the bike.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
An actual road bike? Yeah. You're definitely doing it wrong if you need a dropper for comfort.
A well set up roadbike should be comfortable for hours on end. This obviously does also depend on what shape the rider is in though.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
As a mountain biker, you're simply not conditioned to being bent over ready to take the seat up your {insert body part here}. Give it time, you'll come around.

Core body strength is not correlated to what bike you ride. If your bikes are fitted to you well and match your fitness then no issues should arise. And by matching your fitness I mean having e.g. a shorter stem, higher rise bar, etc. on there in the winter.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Road bike culture seems fucked up - focused on Lance wannabes. I like fenders, disks, and flat bars.
My "road bike" is a belt drive, single speed, hydraulic disc braked bike. Tange Prestige. Full metal fenders over 47 mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus meats, Tubus rack out back.

It does have drop bars since I like to ride on the hoods.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Or move to a country/state where drivers are not assholes towards cyclists?
I live in the wealthy suburbs of boston. The drivers around me are generally fantastic and give plenty of space and pass carefully. It's only when I drift closer to the city (or other cities in the area) where the poors start to creep in and drive erratically. (heavy sarcasm implied)

but seriously, most drivers out here are great and I've had few issues riding carefully with proper lights and not acting like an asshole. It's almost always contractors that get too close or 45 year old soccer moms in beige buicks. This is all ~18 miles outside of the city.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I refuse to ride on the road unless there's a marked bike lane. And even then I'd much rather be on a fully sheltered separate multi-use path.

Thankfully my commute and errands let me be 90% on such paths and 10% in a bike lane. Ain't nobody got time to be hit by a car again.