Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Let's flip that around a second.
When you are perfectly within the law to to ride your bicycle on a road. Why shouldn't you?
Dude. YOU are part of the problem here.
I agree with Gary. Often it can be a good thing to stay on the road although there is a bike path. Main reasons are that the traffic on the bike path is running fairly slow, so that if you are riding fast (as you should on a road bike) you endanger other users. Other than that, it has been shown that seperated bike paths reduce awareness of drivers, causing accidents in intersections where they forget to yield.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Do you guys have multi combination trucks where you live? They don't have to hit you to fuck you up. And its hardly their fault either really.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Do you guys have multi combination trucks where you live? They don't have to hit you to fuck you up. And its hardly their fault either really.
I was riding somewhere that I probably shouldn't have been(but it's my right!) and those fuckers whizzing past a 90km/h when you have headphones in is pretty exciting. You get pushed out, then gets sucked in so you counter then you go out a bit when they get past.
Fuck doing it on a lightweight roadie with a retarded headangle, that would be death. Then again, a 760mm bar is probably more of a liability than a 90deg HA.

I agree with Gary. Often it can be a good thing to stay on the road although there is a bike path. Main reasons are that the traffic on the bike path is running fairly slow, so that if you are riding fast (as you should on a road bike) you endanger other users. Other than that, it has been shown that seperated bike paths reduce awareness of drivers, causing accidents in intersections where they forget to yield.
And up here bike paths are also filled with walkers and skateboarders and every fucking idiot on them is wearing buds and texting. I'll take the pavement.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Let's flip that around a second.
When you are perfectly within the law to to ride your bicycle on a road. Why shouldn't you?
Dude. YOU are part of the problem here.
one of the big problems here in the US is that even if cyclists are following the law, they are treated as inferior and second class. there's a bit of a saying here in the US, if you wanna get away with murder, hit a cyclist with your car. police by and large don't care if a cyclists get hit by a car, even if it was clearly the motorist at fault. there's also a high degree of animosity towards cyclists from motorists.

should also point out - the top 3 selling vehicles in the US are full size pickup trucks. and 5 of the remaining vehicles in the top 10 selling vehicles are SUVs.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
As a mountain biker, you're simply not conditioned to being bent over ready to take the seat up your {insert body part here}. Give it time, you'll come around.

Core body strength is not correlated to what bike you ride. If your bikes are fitted to you well and match your fitness then no issues should arise. And by matching your fitness I mean having e.g. a shorter stem, higher rise bar, etc. on there in the winter.
gah! I'm already sore from just one look at her neck!

^^^ Exactly. I stopped arguing with my roadie colleagues at work. They just don't get it.

I keep telling them that I greatly prefer collecting (relatively minor) injuries while I'm in command on my mountain bike. Ending up with my brain splattered on the road after getting hit by a Karen texting or fixing her hair while driving sounds like a shit way to end my life. Redneck assholes throwing empty cans/bottles and cigarette butts at me while I ride my bike are also situations I like not happening to me.
this was my position too. but my argument was rendered invalid when I broke my back downhilling at MSA.

I briefly thought gravel riding could be a good compromise. There's tons of gravel roads around here, and hell, 80% of the legal "mountain bike" trails here would be gravel-bike friendly. But I'd be really worried about yahoos driving like idiots on the gravel roads, drifting inside corners. I know it's not particularly prevalent. Some of my buddies tell me it's not an issue, you can usually hear the cars coming on the gravel roads, but still... It only takes one...

I'm saying from MY actual experience.
are you though? two posts up:
You actually do.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
one of the big problems here in the US is that even if cyclists are following the law, they are treated as inferior and second class. there's a bit of a saying here in the US, if you wanna get away with murder, hit a cyclist with your car. police by and large don't care if a cyclists get hit by a car, even if it was clearly the motorist at fault. there's also a high degree of animosity towards cyclists from motorists.

should also point out - the top 3 selling vehicles in the US are full size pickup trucks. and 5 of the remaining vehicles in the top 10 selling vehicles are SUVs.
Yeah. It's exactly the same in the UK.
Doesn't make right to side with those fuckwits though. Does it?

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana

I “gasp” probably ride more road than mtb. The Midwest is a good place to die if you ride road. My gravel bike has been the best thing ever. We have more gravel roads than paved and I can ride 40-50 miles and have 0 encounters with a car/bro dozer.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
What?

Seems you didn't understand at least one of those replies. Probably both.
then perhaps you should try and be more clear when you write?! :D

I don't know, what I understood from that exchange is that you're telling JM your experience in Spain is applicable to his experience in Alaska. But I'm not convinced that's true, that your experience is more relevant to JMs situation than his own experience.

I understand your point about "owning the road". Where I am, it's called the "vehicular cyclist" approach. But in my opinion, and to a certain extent in my experience, there's limits to this theoretical approach. I like to think of myself as pragmatic: I'll cycle on the road because it gets me where I want to go, the cycle paths and shared paths don't always do that. But I've been hit on two separate occasions by vehicles that simply didn't see me. I've also been assaulted on two other occasions by rednecks in pick-up trucks that didn't think I belong on the road (those were sincerely held beliefs too, from what I gather, coming from a place of total ignorance). Not that I'm an angel on the road and a perfect law abiding cyclist, but all those situations happened when I was JRA, doing nothing illegal or improper.

I now dress like a fucking clown so cars see me (neon helmets with reflective stickers, bright orange jackets/vests/t-shirts, neon gloves, blinking arm bands, and reflective belts). Maybe it's because I tend to ride in heavily urban environments and there's just too many distractions for drivers, but I'm still going to keep my interactions with those 4 tonnes of metal to an absolute minimum.

I used to own a road bike, as we have pretty decent roads and routes here for it. But I find it boring as fuck, unless you go full alpha with it (racing and Strava and all that shit), and I'm not really that into the "pain" side of cycling... I like riding my bike through the woods much more!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
then perhaps you should try and be more clear when you write?! :D
Pot. Kettle n that, aye?

Neither reply was to you. but seeing as you asked so nicely I'll explain.

No. My reply to JM_ wasn't suggesting my experience in Spain is similar to Alaska in any way. (or the UK for that matter) More explaining that the road laws "could be" With properly laid down legislation, Law enforcement, Committed Educational policies and Understanding. And was simply using Spain's model as my example. I'd be surprised if you or JM_ even bothered to look at how the Spanish changed their laws with regards vehicles passing cyclists. but happy to be proven wrong.
And Yes. The other point I made was that just because you happen to be on a bicycle does not mean you forgo all control over other road users actions. Call it what you will. I'd simply call it not being passive.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Passing a law and having it automatically result in a safer situation reeks of correlation=causation. As you just pointed out in that paragraph, there are more facets than just having a law and more to laws than just the actual law about distance, such as licensing requirements, testing requirements, vehicle requirements, and so on. I'm not a fan of making complex situations seem simple-there's likely a multitude of reasons why it's safer to cycle on the road in Spain, not just because there's a safe-space law. If one wants to put their life on the line here and show their "single critical mass", rightly asserting their freedom to operate on the roads, that's fine, but being dead and right doesn't count for much after the fact. That's what we have here. Heck, at the last big race, we had to cross the "haul road" (to the oil fields) to get to the trailhead, just like crossing any single-lane highway, except due to liability and the race insurance, they wouldn't let us do it other than as a big single group, because "those truckers don't slow down for anything". And that's just crossing the damn road, not even riding it. The reality is in this country, any yahoo can get a license, the license has minimal testing requirements, hell in AZ they give you a 20-year license with any current valid license, its how they attract the old people, which gives them a "lifetime license" effectively, minimal vehicle safety requirements, and so on. If someone feels it's worth risking, well that's a decision they have to make on their own, but I like to control my risk and exposure to what I feel is reasonable. In a lot of these places, it's not reasonable to operate a bicycle on the road in my opinion and experience (close calls and getting hit).

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
That Law you've not actually bothered to look into is a MASSIVE reason why cycling there is NOW a lot safer.

But if you really must keep your head in the sand please just STFU

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That Law you've not actually bothered to look into is a MASSIVE reason why cycling there is NOW a lot safer.

But if you really must keep your head in the sand please just STFU
I'm unfamiliar with Spanish statutory/federal/regulatory code. Perhaps you can post it and translate?

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
I have a few local road DH KOM’s (now trophies) on Teton Pass/Old Pass Road, I never even thought about installing a dropper…(maybe because it is a D-post, it never crossed my mind as a possibility)
a paris - nice stage was won on a dropper recently. because uci

next up, aero droppers. next best legal thing to the super tuck

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
^^Not sure about a Paris-Nice stage but that happened at Milan-San Remo, one of the biggest 1-day races of the year. And the dude who did it is the same guy who created the (now banned) super tuck.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Whats wrong with the industry: arguing about road biking in the DH forum.
Ahhhh....good times!

Just waiting until the snow melts so I can ride DH....

....But still need to get my fat ass in shape so I can ride all day and drink all night.

That being said, anyone subscribing to any work out programs, apps? Seems to be a lot choose from these days.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
But the current car options suck.

Only "big" car you can buy at a price "many" can afford is a Charger.

Which is sadly on my short list of next cars.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
But the current car options suck.

Only "big" car you can buy at a price "many" can afford is a Charger.

Which is sadly on my short list of next cars.
i like my accord hybrid a lot. $26.5k out the door last winter for an ex.

@slimshady manual options are few and far between here and are most often either on the very base level trims or high $ sports models

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Does a 4 cylinder, 6 speed RiceRocket qualify for the xlg penis offer?
Turbocharging shortens the wang

It is known

one big downside to stick shifts these days is incompatibility with autobrake systems

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
And up here bike paths are also filled with walkers and skateboarders and every fucking idiot on them is wearing buds and texting. I'll take the pavement.
And now with the 11-15 year old kids riding 28mph ebikes on the bike paths to and from school, it’s mayhem on the bike paths. They don’t know how to ride, and haven’t been taught. There is a push now for ‘fast and slow’ separated pathways.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Don't even get me started on ebikes on sidewalks.
We've got those electric scooter things taking over here. Annoying but hey - whatever gets people out of cars.

this was my position too. but my argument was rendered invalid when I broke my back downhilling at MSA.
At least if you die on a MTB the odds are it was your fault, not some other clown drinking driving or something

there's a bit of a saying here in the US, if you wanna get away with murder, hit a cyclist with your car. police by and large don't care if a cyclists get hit by a car, even if it was clearly the motorist at fault. there's also a high degree of animosity towards cyclists from motorists
Over here the bottom feeding media outlets run a hate-mongering expose on cyclists flaunting the rules anytime they're short on other misinformation to feed the population. Doesn't help the animosity issue and makes light of the fact that cyclists are fairly regularly killed.

I've seen more police crackdowns on cyclists (no bell etc) than on motorists failing to maintain a safe distance from cyclists.

Also the no bell thing shits me to no end - what point is a friggen bell when every jogger and scooter fiend has a set of bloody headphones blaring?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Over here the bottom feeding media outlets run a hate-mongering expose on cyclists flaunting the rules anytime they're short on other misinformation to feed the population. Doesn't help the animosity issue and makes light of the fact that cyclists are fairly regularly killed.
yea, it happens here too.