Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Also the no bell thing shits me to no end - what point is a friggen bell when every jogger and scooter fiend has a set of bloody headphones blaring?
I commuted for years in NYC traffic. Gave up on bells and had an airhorn. That worked against cars and peds.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Turbocharging shortens the wang

It is known

one big downside to stick shifts these days is incompatibility with autobrake systems
whew, glad imma naturally aspirated. :banana:

Why? I have not followed it, so don't really have a clue.
I assume they also use heavy engine braking to assist, so dropping gears on a fully manual box would be an issue, but you could still do a clutch cut and a throttle cut to allow the car to keep running so you don't loose power steering / brakes etc... On an electronic manual, ie fancy paddle shifts etc, why could you not have a software routine take over to automatically drop through the gears as you hammer the brakes?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If it’s a flappy paddle box and has an automatic clutch it’s not a manual. (Ok, maybe a sequential dogbox on a rally car works for this definition. But not on the street.)

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Dat double donut right grip situation tho
Yeah…… I thought I was going to build her up and do some laps. The reach was so short and the bb so high that I think I won’t go any farther on the build. So no issues on the double doughnut setup….

The Zerode i have is also very short. I think I might have to attempt a steel front triangle.
Like the original Zerode DH proto.
DB6101BB-448D-4EA3-850D-DAB07675126A.jpeg

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Yeah…… I thought I was going to build her up and do some laps. The reach was so short and the bb so high that I think I won’t go any farther on the build. So no
Couldn't you get some help from the carbon engineers you have around you to move the headtube in an appropriate position? I have seen similar things done on other bikes

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Yeah…… I thought I was going to build her up and do some laps. The reach was so short and the bb so high that I think I won’t go any farther on the build. So no issues on the double doughnut setup….

The Zerode i have is also very short. I think I might have to attempt a steel front triangle.
Like the original Zerode DH proto.
View attachment 174910

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
There aren't enough width and compound options for DH casings. I partly blame this on inserts. They've kept a lot of people buying enduro and trail casing tires who should be convincing The Industry there's a large enough DH casing market to offer options.

Those people are wrong, by the way. A DH casing works better than a same weight trail casing & insert combo. Does an enduro casing & insert work better than a DH casing? Maybe, but it's heavier, and would work even better if you replace the enduro casing with DH at the cost of only 100g or so.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I'm going to pedant on you here:
DHR 27.5 EXO+ plus TuboLight HD insert = 940g + 70g = 1,010g
DHR 27.5 DH = 1,250g
delta: 240g

Assegai 29 EXO+ plus TuboLight HD insert = 1150g + 70g = 1,220g
Assegai 29 DH = 1,388g
delta: 168g

(I'm using the listed weights of the inserts I'm running - forgot to weigh them before I put them on. I know that the 29 & 27.5 probably have different weights. They are crazy light for inserts, much lighter than CushCore, and don't provide as much rim protection but add a lot of sidewall support.)

Nearly a pound of rotational weight is a big difference. And with trail casings plus inserts, I can run stupid low pressures without getting tire squirm or hearing scary sounds when I hit a buried root. I don't have sharp rocks where I ride, so I don't need a tough 2x60 casing. When I do make a trip to some place like that, I'll admit it probably makes more sense to run a DH Assegai vs. a DD Assegai + insert up front, given how heavy the Assegai is to begin with. Rear I think it'd be a tossup to run DH vs. DD+insert (puncture vs. rim protection).

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
Yeah…… I thought I was going to build her up and do some laps. The reach was so short and the bb so high that I think I won’t go any farther on the build.
kinda where i'm at. i short shocked the thing years ago so BB isn't bad (and HA is modern), but the FC is so tight (compared to my modern trail bike) that my enthusiasm to dump any $$ into it to get it rolling properly has waned. of course, i shralped happily on the thing for a bunch of years, but short FC bikes just feel so janky now.

makes for great wall art, tho

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Couldn't you get some help from the carbon engineers you have around you to move the headtube in an appropriate position? I have seen similar things done on other bikes
I could do that myself with the vacuum bag setup I have for snowboard building. I have repaired a bunch of carbon bikes that are holding up fine. I am dangerously confident, Haha.

It would be easier than making a new front triangle. I would make an extension insert or something inside to give it some mechanical structure and then put 2x the layers that engineer buddy recommends to be safe. Then what? I will probably get bored quick and move on to something else because it has a 390mm bb height on a 222mm i2i shock. I would probably try and stuff a 225x75 in there. I think it is a fond memory at best and I should hang her up like @manhattanprjkt83 would do. Or make a front triangle.

@vivisectxi I think you are right. It is going back on the wall.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
What are you after that isn't available?
Wider. Like a genuine 2.5" when mounted on a 30mm rim. The Assegai 2.5 is barely wide enough, another 1/10th would be nice. The DHR is only available in 2.4 and is much too narrow. There should be 2.6" or 2.7" options too. I bet a lot of people would like that. Hard compounds for durability when not racing.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I had a bike with plus sized tires (2.8") a few years ago. I never liked it. I never found a usable range of pressure, even just changing by a tenth of a psi. It was either bouncy or too soft and offering no support, sometimes both. The other thing I didn't like was the self stirring effect: as soon as you lean the bike on one side you would feel the handlebar pushing as the wheel wanted to turn toward the same side as you leaned.
2.6 or 2.7 is dangerously close to plus size tires...

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
I had a bike with plus sized tires (2.8") a few years ago. I never liked it. I never found a usable range of pressure, even just changing by a tenth of a psi. It was either bouncy or too soft and offering no support, sometimes both. The other thing I didn't like was the self stirring effect: as soon as you lean the bike on one side you would feel the handlebar pushing as the wheel wanted to turn toward the same side as you leaned.
2.6 or 2.7 is dangerously close to plus size tires...
I've disliked the 2.8s I've tried. I've liked the 2.6s. The 2.5s and 2.4s available with DH casings are all under 2.4" actual width.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've disliked the 2.8s I've tried. I've liked the 2.6s. The 2.5s and 2.4s available with DH casings are all under 2.4" actual width.
I can see a reason for these tires in beefier casings though, for big fatty fats that are riding in really rocky areas or a DH rental fleet. They'd be limited by more than just the tire size IMO as far as speed, but it might be a good idea to prevent excessive punctures and wearing. Basically giving them more surface area to deal with, rather than a lot of weight on a small contact patch. Personally I got over the 2.7-2.8 craze back in the early DH days, but again, for a resort rental bike it would have made a lot more sense to get 2.7/2.5 rather than some of the skinnier stuff I got that blew out real easy with moderate use.