Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I can see a reason for these tires in beefier casings though, for big fatty fats that are riding in really rocky areas or a DH rental fleet. They'd be limited by more than just the tire size IMO as far as speed, but it might be a good idea to prevent excessive punctures and wearing. Basically giving them more surface area to deal with, rather than a lot of weight on a small contact patch. Personally I got over the 2.7-2.8 craze back in the early DH days, but again, for a resort rental bike it would have made a lot more sense to get 2.7/2.5 rather than some of the skinnier stuff I got that blew out real easy with moderate use.
Ah, but the joke is that they don't come in beefy casings. Nothing above EXO in Maxxis-land, and EXO + roxx + me == cut tread and casings.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ah, but the joke is that they don't come in beefy casings. Nothing above EXO in Maxxis-land, and EXO + roxx + me == cut tread and casings.
Oh I know, that was why I was making the point. Also, I wonder how many people have ridden anything resembling a 2.7 in a DH casing on a 29er. IME, even a 2.5 DH casing was well past the reasonable limit of gyroscopic stability and resistance to turning. Not so much of a deal on a 27.5, but you put it on a 29er and it's a new ballgame IME.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Wider. Like a genuine 2.5" when mounted on a 30mm rim. The Assegai 2.5 is barely wide enough, another 1/10th would be nice. The DHR is only available in 2.4 and is much too narrow. There should be 2.6" or 2.7" options too. I bet a lot of people would like that. Hard compounds for durability when not racing.
that's about my only gripe about the michelin dh34. it's only available in 2.4, and it's a narrow 2.4

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Bikes on roads are boring af snooze fest.

I find the same thing on motorcycles, if my local canyon is closed I get bored of wheeling my sm around and failing to find any cool jumps in about 5 mins and then remember that riding on dirt is more fun even just an 80 or 100 in my back yard....

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
If that's the case. You're just not riding them fast enough.
Or like in my above example.... If an 80hp race prepped supermoto twin that can drift under power isn't any more fun on the road TO ME than 10hp let alone 50 on dirt then I'm sure that Lance Armstrong levels of power still wouldn't do much for me on a road bike.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Here’s my road bike. It’s great for hill climb training rides and has everything I need, jackets, dry gloves, food, bear spray for if the cars get froggy. Great for riding downhill without giving a flying f*ck about the road surface, cracks, bumps, etc. Can even cut inside turns on the gravel "berm" ditch thing. Looks similar to my fat bike, but it's not fat.
ECC2F163-5930-4CA0-ACDA-E2C592F70A47.jpeg

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Or like in my above example.... If an 80hp race prepped supermoto twin that can drift under power isn't any more fun on the road TO ME than 10hp let alone 50 on dirt then I'm sure that Lance Armstrong levels of power still wouldn't do much for me on a road bike.
Try "drifting" 23mm tyres at 50mph on an 18lb bicycle then Billy Big bollocks.

You shouldn't actually need PWR at all to have fun on two wheels. Nevermind have to brag about values.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Random complaint here: Companies are continuing to charge a lot of money for shit but offer less than they used to.

I just picked up a TLD D3 on sale (really good price actually and last one in stock) to replace my old 'Finish Line' D3 that got stolen. When I opened the TLD box, the helmet was in a cloth bag and that's it. It's the type of cloth bag you bring with you on weekend trip to pack your dirty ginch in. You used to get a nice helmet bag with handles and an extra visor.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Try "drifting" 23mm tyres at 50mph on an 18lb bicycle then Billy Big bollocks.

You shouldn't actually need PWR at all to have fun on two wheels. Nevermind have to brag about values.
Completely missing the point.
Yeah I'm so toguh that I PREFER 10 HP on dirt..... over any amount on the street and to go a step further I prefer pedal power on dirt to any amount of power on the street

Let me flip it.
If your having as much fun on the road as you have on dirt, you must be doing dirt wrong. Perhaps try riding over some rocks, boulders, logs and jumps, and ride a variety of banked, flat, and off camber corners and various soil types. If none of these increase your riding pleasure, then I think road biking may be a great fit for you.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Fork service kits which don't have the o-rings separated and labeled (I know newer full service kits I had for Pike forks had this). So you have 6 o-rings of all pretty much the same size and you have to try and work out which one you need holding it against an old one.

Forks which have a glide ring which the new one is so "open" they won't stay closed to fit back into the fork. Gave up and used the old one.

Also getting a knock from a fork I put back on my bike a couple of weeks ago but haven't ridden. Can't tell if it's worn bushings or if it's the wheel on the axle - old 20mm TA XC fork...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Completely missing the point.
Yeah I'm so toguh that I PREFER 10 HP on dirt..... over any amount on the street and to go a step further I prefer pedal power on dirt to any amount of power on the street

Let me flip it.
If your having as much fun on the road as you have on dirt, you must be doing dirt wrong. Perhaps try riding over some rocks, boulders, logs and jumps, and ride a variety of banked, flat, and off camber corners and various soil types. If none of these increase your riding pleasure, then I think road biking may be a great fit for you.
I didn't moan about riding pleasure at all.
You did.
A little too much TBH.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Random complaint here: Companies are continuing to charge a lot of money for shit but offer less than they used to.

I just picked up a TLD D3 on sale (really good price actually and last one in stock) to replace my old 'Finish Line' D3 that got stolen. When I opened the TLD box, the helmet was in a cloth bag and that's it. It's the type of cloth bag you bring with you on weekend trip to pack your dirty ginch in. You used to get a nice helmet bag with handles and an extra visor.
The composite never had this, only the carbon version.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Perhaps try riding over some rocks, boulders, logs and jumps, and ride a variety of banked, flat, and off camber corners and various soil types. If none of these increase your riding pleasure, then I think road biking may be a great fit for you.
Gary has been doing all that stuff since before you were born, he's like 400 years old.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Fork service kits which don't have the o-rings separated and labeled (I know newer full service kits I had for Pike forks had this). So you have 6 o-rings of all pretty much the same size and you have to try and work out which one you need holding it against an old one.

Forks which have a glide ring which the new one is so "open" they won't stay closed to fit back into the fork. Gave up and used the old one.

Also getting a knock from a fork I put back on my bike a couple of weeks ago but haven't ridden. Can't tell if it's worn bushings or if it's the wheel on the axle - old 20mm TA XC fork...
Think thats bad, I ordered a light-tune piston kit for my manitou mcleod, I just got around to working on it a few days ago. It comes with 1 piston and then about 20 shims in individually wrapped baggies. No instructions I can find anywhere on order and how to assemble. lol

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Think thats bad, I ordered a light-tune piston kit for my manitou mcleod, I just got around to working on it a few days ago. It comes with 1 piston and then about 20 shims in individually wrapped baggies. No instructions I can find anywhere on order and how to assemble. lol
Just use MOAR SHIMZ

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Nothing in the videos they publish? Otherwise, there is a long McLeod thread on EmpytBeer that might have info.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
My last D3 had the extra visor and helmet bag. I dunno... maybe the FinishLine version was a special model and included the extra stuff?? Either way, makes me shake my fist at the sky.
Maybe also different configurations in different markets? Or maybe some (online) stores source a special run w/o this to be able to offer better prices?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Second what irider said. Also, email Manitou. They've been responsive to me before. They even suggested I use lighter weight oil in my mattock for winter riding (like they use in the mastodon)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Second what irider said. Also, email Manitou. They've been responsive to me before. They even suggested I use lighter weight oil in my mattock for winter riding (like they use in the mastodon)
Yeah, but one of the issues in the thread vs. actual is you have to space out the IPA valve thing enough so it's effective, but your shim stack isn't loose and there isn't any info really given for this and even if they included a complimentary list of shim order, you sit there measuring out 20-something shims with your calipers (yes, I have some) to get the right size and thickness in the right order and there's still 2x more than you actually need. It's bizarre.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
$400 for a stem? Notice it is currently sold out.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
$400 for a stem? Notice it is currently sold out.

it is titanium. shits expensive.

neko is racing their cranks at the WC fwiw