Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

IIRC, she brained herself pretty hard in qualis and raced anyway (got 2nd). At the time there were some commentators that said she probably shouldn't have been racing after writing off a helmet, but the team docs ok'ed her and away she went. Now here we are.

Given Thibault's remarkable Les Gets win last season, a week after a horrible smash that knocked him out and made him bite his tongue in half, Team Concussion Commencal might wanna check their doctor's concussion testing protocol isn't just asking if they feel like they can do a race run.
I was just listening to the Downtime Podcast this morning, and Chris Kilmurray was saying that concussions tend to get better in the first 24 hours, and then worsen in the 72 hours afterwards... or something to that effect. He suggested that may be why she was okayed to race, but in hindsight, maybe wasn't the best decision... It seemed he didn't want to say it flat out, but it was heavily implied. I hope those kids are mortgaging their future for a shot at ephemeral glory...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I was just listening to the Downtime Podcast this morning, and Chris Kilmurray was saying that concussions tend to get better in the first 24 hours, and then worsen in the 72 hours afterwards... or something to that effect. He suggested that may be why she was okayed to race, but in hindsight, maybe wasn't the best decision... It seemed he didn't want to say it flat out, but it was heavily implied. I hope those kids are mortgaging their future for a shot at ephemeral glory...
They definitely can, there are several documented cases of this and it was part of my first responder class. Unfortunately, I'm not sure they've come up with good screening/prediction for this either, as far as some way to tell based on symptoms.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
can confirm. my wife got a major major concussion in a car accident, it took a couple of days to realize she had one.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
so you're against road trips or people flying around the world for bike trips too? only allowed to ride from home? Me driving almost anywhere in the sea to sky corridor to ride for a day is more emissions than what this heli bump would be, let alone anywhere further afield.
whistler logic:

lord of the squirrels with an ebike, BAD
building a trail just for heli trips, GOOD

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
it’s completely unnecessary, why not build backcountry trails with some uphill trails so they can be experienced with ebikes? or shuttle the people with electric vehicles. like they do now in aosta valley. stuff like this can be experienced in a way more sustainable way, no need for such leisure activities in 2022.
and no, im not against such trips, but at least everyone should reduce such trips to a few in their life time imho. and live the rest of the time as sustainable as possible.

i never owned a car. i reduced my co2 consumption as low as i personally can control it. i only use hydro/solar power. my heating is electric. my mobility is by train, bus or bike. you need to schedule your life around some limitations but if you want it you make it work. you could already drive around the sea to sky corridor with an electric vehicle, but you choose not to. your choice, that’s ok. but i can judge ppl from my position too. because i chose otherwise.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
and to add to my criticism, the whole sea to sky corridor is fucked up. starts in vancouver with city in a huge ass area with mostly single dwelling housing that needs more and more real estate to grow. soso public transport with weak planning so most are still using their oversized trucks. then the highway to whistler. next to a fucking train line. not being used for public transport. srsly. WTF is wrong with you people over there??? move your tourists with a train ffs. it’s 2022. stop living like americans…

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
other backcountry trails and this (commercial) trail are not mutually exclusive. This is a purpose built trail approved for this commercial activity by the province to replace the historic use of two other trails that they closed to heli-biking, and was chosen in an area that does not have the same concerns. The creation of this trail has not precluded other trail development by clubs in the region, let alone the unauthorized building that has even happened in the local area, which is not without it's own environmental impacts and is pretty exclusively the domain of truck shuttling. So you can still go fill your boots and ebike and eshuttle to your hearts content on many other trails.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
and to add to my criticism, the whole sea to sky corridor is fucked up. starts in vancouver with city in a huge ass area with mostly single dwelling housing that needs more and more real estate to grow. soso public transport with weak planning so most are still using their oversized trucks. then the highway to whistler. next to a fucking train line. not being used for public transport. srsly. WTF is wrong with you people over there??? move your tourists with a train ffs. it’s 2022. stop living like americans…
commercial rail lines are private property, even in Canada. people have had guns pulled on them by RR security for trespassing.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
have i talked about those different train stations in vancouver yet? the ones that are not connected with each other and are owned by different companys?

meanwhile, they are working here on an integrated tact plan for the swiss railwork network, so every town is connected every half an hour till 2035…

but yeah, really unsolvable problems, let’s just use cars for all eternity and take a heli shuttle to ride down a mountain… :banghead:

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
wrong, or right, depending on your perspective...word is Outside has shitcanned Beta/Peloton already. didn't personally care for beta, but watching PB staff talk themselves into thinking a big corp wouldn't be a big corp a few months ago was pretty amusing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
wrong, or right, depending on your perspective...word is Outside has shitcanned Beta/Peloton already. didn't personally care for beta, but watching PB staff talk themselves into thinking a big corp wouldn't be a big corp a few months ago was pretty amusing.
say what you will about xc & fantasy league nonsense, but the fact that they just axed it, and after weeks of comments on xco articles about it, one mod finally just casually dropped that they weren't doing it. just another sign of things changing.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I beat my meat over well designed American made stuff but to me they look like a shit design.
I know plastic slides on rocks and deflects a bit but a nice lead in taper on the outer edge is something I look for, that's why I hated my Burgtecs so much.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yeah they looks decent, but way overkill on the price when there are other great options. And those other options have pins that you can replace with hardware found at home depot.

And if you tweak both sides of one of those pins, good luck getting it out.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Oops, I didn't see that the traction pins were made by Hitachi, they must vibrate to help with circulation.
Worth $200 for sure.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
As if they’re charging a premium to remove the ability to adjust the height of your pins as well.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Emily Batty repping DraftKings. She gets too much criticism, but with a move like this maybe it's warranted.