Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
EB gets it for being sponsored by Porsche, milking the Canadian Sports Commission for $ so she and her husband can live in California to "train", and basically just being a pretty face with no real results these days.

Draft Kings seems to fit right in.

View attachment 177008
Honestly, who gives a f*ck? Pinkbike commenters it seems. EB live your life. It has no bearing on mine or my tastes in the least.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Taxpayers should give a fuck. But, she seems nice.
That's what was a little off putting to read two years ago, to me at least. That money could or should go to a Canadian athlete that actually needs it.

I could not care any less about what car or weird money grab she or anyone is currently hocking. Unless its beer of course.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Clothes

"DH" shorts have become dress shorts with no purpose and cost $100 without a single function. I bought some Dakine shorts last year and decided to use them for golf instead. They have belt loops and 2 hand pockets that are literally useless for riding.

There's no zippers or magnets on the pockets and not even deep enough for your hands. No vents. No back pockets. Nothing other than a pair of shorts that cost $100. I sent the other pair back.

Flylow now has riding clothes that's pretty much the same thing, but $50 more.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
For trail riding I've been using Troy Lee Skyline's for years, but the velcro waste adjusters are garbage and I've had enough. Their sizing is also weird, I'm definitely a 34" waste, but need to fully cinch in the velcro to keep them up...

Got some PI Summit Shell shorts on the way that have a little buckle doohicky to take up the slack. Hopefully more effective than velcro.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Individual sponsor based sports are as much about individual branding and exposure than they are about results. Pro DH and freeride riders popularity is probably based more on video cuts than it is actual competition.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
I wonder what the hourly rate is on the people that made these! There is a fair amount of sewing involved, for $28!
Counterpoint: This is probably what a pair of shorts should cost in 2022.

The labels have us all by the beans thinking shorts should be $150 and a pair of socks $35.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
For trail riding I've been using Troy Lee Skyline's for years, but the velcro waste adjusters are garbage and I've had enough. Their sizing is also weird, I'm definitely a 34" waste, but need to fully cinch in the velcro to keep them up...

Got some PI Summit Shell shorts on the way that have a little buckle doohicky to take up the slack. Hopefully more effective than velcro.
Out: waist adjusters

In: belt loops

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Clothes

"DH" shorts have become dress shorts with no purpose and cost $100 without a single function. I bought some Dakine shorts last year and decided to use them for golf instead. They have belt loops and 2 hand pockets that are literally useless for riding.

There's no zippers or magnets on the pockets and not even deep enough for your hands. No vents. No back pockets. Nothing other than a pair of shorts that cost $100. I sent the other pair back.

Flylow now has riding clothes that's pretty much the same thing, but $50 more.
I will say this, I needed new dh pants and shorts for the first time in a bit over 10 years. I had to size up because everything is sized and cut like skinny jeans. This is downhill, not an emo concert.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I wonder what the hourly rate is on the people that made these! There is a fair amount of sewing involved, for $28!
I'm guessing you aren't using Nike, Adidas or any other big branded shoes or sports equipment. For instance, most of the soccer gloves and balls are made in Pakistan, by underaged workers who make less than 3 bucks a day. It might not be your average Chinese enslaver to blame, but most of the sports industry is overpriced garbage.

I will say this, I needed new dh pants and shorts for the first time in a bit over 10 years. I had to size up because everything is sized and cut like skinny jeans. This is downhill, not an emo concert.
Eh? How comes you made it this far without pulling out your skinsuit meme? :D

On serious note, it's been the same down here for over ten years. For instance, my son is not even too tall for a 9 years old kid, and he's on size 14-16 shirts and trousers.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Counterpoint: This is probably what a pair of shorts should cost in 2022.

The labels have us all by the beans thinking shorts should be $150 and a pair of socks $35.
Maybe, I just don’t know. If you did a breakdown of materials and labor. Factor in shipping from asia and profit from the manufacturer and the retailer. $28? I honestly don’t understand those economics. This isn’t some basic short either.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'm guessing you aren't using Nike, Adidas or any other big branded shoes or sports equipment. For instance, most of the soccer gloves and balls are made in Pakistan, by underaged workers who make less than 3 bucks a day. It might not be your average Chinese enslaver to blame, but most of the sports industry is overpriced garbage.

Eh? How comes you made it this far without pulling out your skinsuit meme? :D

On serious note, it's been the same down here for over ten years. For instance, my son is not even too tall for a 9 years old kid, and he's on size 14-16 shirts and trousers.
Hardly any of the big names. I do have some adidas stuff for football. But is that what we are talking about here? Labor cost that is basically $0?

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Hardly any of the big names. I do have some adidas stuff for football. But is that what we are talking about here? Labor cost that is basically $0?
It's actually better than that - the employees pay the companies to do the work because they love and envy America so much.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It looks like some of the colors do come with a liner/pad set. Or, a mangina if you wear them as shown.
Same no-liner just-shorts at the shops and stores was looking like 70 bucks for crappy stuff and up in price from there to insane over 100. I love all the pockets on these and put things like my car-key in there and zip it up, so it stays on my body.

Also got these, same thing, solid, pockets, etc: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08XJY11Y6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1