Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Patent legislation in the US is also little different to elsewhere.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think a patent granted in the US has any legal impact in other nations?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think a patent granted in the US has any legal impact in other nations?
correct. also, if a company in another country plans to distribute/sell their product in the US, they have to follow US IP law. like how anyone could sell a horst like bike in the EU, but you would have to license it from Specialized in the US (at least until the patent expired)

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
correct. also, if a company in another country plans to distribute/sell their product in the US, they have to follow US IP law. like how anyone could sell a horst like bike in the EU, but you would have to license it from Specialized in the US (at least until the patent expired)

That's why my next LLC will be based out of Antarctica

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Correct. US patents are only enforced by US courts.
You also have to have enough money to defend your patent. A single person having a patent hasn't got much chance financially backing their litigation against a big company. Plus you only need a handful of changes to get around a patent anyway.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You also have to have enough money to defend your patent. A single person having a patent hasn't got much chance financially backing their litigation against a big company. Plus you only need a handful of changes to get around a patent anyway.
this is America™, everything costs money.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I want to know why seemingly every tailgate pad has the straps feed from the outside of the tailgate inwards. I don't give a fuck if it looks cleaner like that - I want whoever designed that to try and feed the straps through on a full-size truck without smashing their fingers and the help of a second person.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
The tailgate pad carrying system barely works on modern trucks cuz the tailgate is 1ft thick and the top of it is so high sub-6fters can't reach over. I just used this setup on a friend's new Ram 3500 and it was laughable. The bikes rest on the middle of the downtube instead of up near the headtube the way things used to be and I was the only one in the group that could reach the straps that go around the downtubes. I would love to know how these ridiculously tall and thick truck beds make it through focus groups. Are the participants afraid to mention that they can't reach over the edge of the tailgate because they'd lose their man card?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The tailgate pad carrying system barely works on modern trucks cuz the tailgate is 1ft thick and the top of it is so high sub-6fters can't reach over. I just used this setup on a friend's new Ram 3500 and it was laughable. The bikes rest on the middle of the downtube instead of up near the headtube the way things used to be and I was the only one in the group that could reach the straps that go around the downtubes. I would love to know how these ridiculously tall and thick truck beds make it through focus groups. Are the participants afraid to mention that they can't reach over the edge of the tailgate because they'd lose their man card?
Even the Rivian tailgate is ridiculous. I don't know what all that volume is for.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Yeah my Race Face (same as Fox) T2 pad barely fits over my F-150's tailgate, which is also like 1' thick. On the F-150 I think the thickness is from the fold out step and the power open/shut. To load up multiple bikes, I don't even try and lift them over from the ground, I climb up top and have someone pass them up.

Magnets wouldn't work on F-150 because they switched to aluminum body a while back.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Yeah my Race Face (same as Fox) T2 pad barely fits over my F-150's tailgate, which is also like 1' thick. On the F-150 I think the thickness is from the fold out step and the power open/shut. To load up multiple bikes, I don't even try and lift them over from the ground, I climb up top and have someone pass them up.

Magnets wouldn't work on F-150 because they switched to aluminum body a while back.

5f5640c673f919a6cf2798074c49245d.jpg

Must be those sick rimzzzzzz....

Even my 14yo can lift his bike onto the gate of our F150 4x4....only issue I have is the big bulge in the middle, makes it less useful for sure.

Have you seen the new Fox split pad?
Why buy 1 when you can buy 2?

pad.jpg

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I hate new "trucks" moar everyday.

I could load my motorcycle without a ramp in my last truck,

But old age says I probably couldn't now.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I hate new "trucks" moar everyday.

I could load my motorcycle without a ramp in my last truck,

But old age says I probably couldn't now.
It's ridiculous and I blame it all on consumers asking for features that seem cool and macho but hurt usability. I have a near unlimited budget for a new truck but since no one makes anything I want I'll be dumping $25-30k into buying a 2010 Ranger and having it converted to electric. It'll haul anything I need, be easy to manuever and park, be easy to load, and use relatively little electricity and tire.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
where i live whenever i see someone with a tailgate pad i automatically assume they watch too many gmbn videos

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
where i live whenever i see someone with a tailgate pad i automatically assume they watch too many gmbn videos
Do you see people with trucks carry bikes any other way? People look at me likeI have 2 heads loading my in bed rack butI put both bike in and leave before before they manage to get 1 bike off their tailgate pad.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
It's ridiculous and I blame it all on consumers asking for features that seem cool and macho but hurt usability. I have a near unlimited budget for a new truck but since no one makes anything I want I'll be dumping $25-30k into buying a 2010 Ranger and having it converted to electric. It'll haul anything I need, be easy to manuever and park, be easy to load, and use relatively little electricity and tire.
Unlimted budget? Okay call the guys at MMR and tell them you want the 1500HP 5.0 pump gas Coyote. Full tube frame, and a SADEV 6 SPD Sequential. Probably gonna need AWD and I would suggest BIG ASS brakes like 8 piston Brembos.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Do you see people with trucks carry bikes any other way? People look at me likeI have 2 heads loading my in bed rack butI put both bike in and leave before before they manage to get 1 bike off their tailgate pad.
hitch racks, bed racks, abd occasionally just putting it in the bed.

should also note that theres only one trail network in my region that has unpaved road access. and even then it's less than half a mile, and I have no issues with it in my impreza.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
What do they have trouble with? Pick the bike up and drop it on the pad. Done and done. If I only have one bike, I throw it in the bed. More than one I’ll use a pad. I have a buddy who bitches at me for not using a moving blanket like he does. For $75 straight from Race Face, they were blowing them out for 50% off, I find it well worth it. Now if they’d just run the straps down instead of up…

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Converting a post-OBDII vehicle to electric is reputedly much more of a pain than a pre-1996 vehicle.

If you're doing a Ranger, you could always start with the OG Ranger EV and then update it with modern battery chemistry and controllers...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What do they have trouble with? Pick the bike up and drop it on the pad. Done and done. If I only have one bike, I throw it in the bed. More than one I’ll use a pad. I have a buddy who bitches at me for not using a moving blanket like he does. For $75 straight from Race Face, they were blowing them out for 50% off, I find it well worth it. Now if they’d just run the straps down instead of up…
"bro pads"

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
It takes them a while to lift the full bike above shoulder height and then they seem to struggle with the straps. I just flip the down step and walk in.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
If I ned to hang bikes off back of the 7.3 it gets a moving blanket and 1 tie down across the top of the frames. The 1 UP handles the 1 bike off hitch just fine.....

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Along the “this is what’s wrong with the industry” line. Tried my Prime Blue 5.10’s for 2 laps again at Thunder today. They still suck. Back to my old Freerider Pros.
That is really weird. After all the horror stories about Prime Blues I tried my pair that I had intended as a spare and it is the same grip level as the Freerider I am running right now. Maybe difference in production runs? Running changes?

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
That is really weird. After all the horror stories about Prime Blues I tried my pair that I had intended as a spare and it is the same grip level as the Freerider I am running right now. Maybe difference in production runs? Running changes?
It could be. I wanted to give them another shot before I toss them in the closet. It’s definitely not a soft rubber material. My feet were bouncing off the pedals. Brand new pedals with brand new pins. I’m going to try a pair of the Specialized 2FO’s. I should have stocked up on Freerider Pros before Adidas bought them out.