Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I just bought my wife a pair of Ride Concepts because they're the only ones who make a flat shoe with BOA and she hates tying laces. After 2 rides she loves them, thinks they stick better than post adidas free riders and she can get them much tighter to her feet with BOA than laces.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
interesting...i've had no problems with rubber on my impacts post-adidas, just durability, which seems better now. and lol. i think in general i put my impacts on, double knot the laces once, and just pull them on and off for the rest of their lifes...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I just bought my wife a pair of Ride Concepts because they're the only ones who make a flat shoe with BOA and she hates tying laces. After 2 rides she loves them, thinks they stick better than post adidas free riders and she can get them much tighter to her feet with BOA than laces.
i *almost* bought a pair of RC spds for dh this year. overall how's the quality, fit, etc?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Unlimted budget? Okay call the guys at MMR and tell them you want the 1500HP 5.0 pump gas Coyote. Full tube frame, and a SADEV 6 SPD Sequential. Probably gonna need AWD and I would suggest BIG ASS brakes like 8 piston Brembos.
I think that might be overkill for scooting around Lahaina. Probably won't run off the solar panels on my roof either.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
i *almost* bought a pair of RC spds for dh this year. overall how's the quality, fit, etc?
Like you would expect from a $170 sneaker. Not a thread out of place, complete glue coverage/adhesion in the glued joints. Stiffer sole than freeriders.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Crankworx pump track challenge.

They've changed it to a straight "track" with 4 racers at a time.

So it's a rubbish bmx track with no corners.

Edit: turned it off pretty quickly

Last edited:

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
On special-Ed's website I see this and think I'm on Racefaces website.

Didn't Special-Ed send lawyers after "Café Roubaix" for trademark something-or-other? Funny how that works. Huh?

Screenshot_20220818-154844_Chrome.jpg

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
Bonus feature, they shifted like shit!
fore sure. expensive, worked worse than a basic shimano mech, but was pretty? that era seemed to prioritize style over substance. so much shiny anodized cnc hardware that didn't work and/or readily broke. not to mention fashion driven stupidity like 20" flat bars on 150mm flat stems. with norba standard 71* head angles.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
This has probably been touched on before, but the sponsored content/industry reviews seems particularly blurred these days, making it pretty hard to sift through and even figure out what the right product to buy is. Looking at getting a longer travel fork for my enduro bike and debating between something like a Zeb/38 and a lowered boxxer/40. Keep landing on reviews like this:

"This fork will literally suck your dick"

That's neat and all, but I'm trying to compare it to this other fork you also said would "literally suck your dick" so it doesn't help me all that much.

And on that topic, the reviews of the 38/Zeb all seem to blow. They've both been out for long enough that there should be a fairly solid long term review on them comparing them in apples to apples comparisons to the comparable forks, but instead we get shit like

"The new zeb weighs 1.5 lbs more than a lyrik, has an additional 20-30mm of travel, and is actually a lot more similar to a DH fork than a lyrik! So we're going to compare it to a lyrik and tell you how much better it is for long travel applications and not mention DH forks or comparing it to a DH fork again even though functionally, a 180mm zeb and a 180mm Boxxer would be the most apples to apples comparison."

And since pinkbike blazed the trail with running on conflicts of interest between reviewing things and taking money from the manufacturers of the products they're reviewing, reviews have gotten even shittier.

For once I want to see a review say something like "This fork performed fantastically. It was smooth, behaved predictably in all manner of conditions, provided fantastic midstroke support while also never feeling overly harsh, and also cooked us breakfast after sucking out dick. But, it needed 3 teardowns and the crown started creaking after 8 months, so for this reason, we don't recommend it. In fact, we think the mfg needs to go back to drawing board and start over."

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I've had/still have all of those and don't exactly sugarcoat things. What would you like to know?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I've had/still have all of those and don't exactly sugarcoat things. What would you like to know?
I want something to put on the front end of my 160mm travel Enduro bike. I'll be running it with 180mm of travel. I'm okay with the geo changes that will come with it.

Things I like: durability and longevity. Smoothness, and reducing feedback in my hands. I want moderate progression.

I weigh 175, and stiffness is not a significant concern. I'm not riding fast enough to feel a difference in steering between a 40 and a boxxer anymore, and I pretty much don't give a shit about it.

Things I absolutely hate: Creaking crowns. I want my bikes to be quiet, not sound like a gunshot is going off every time the front wheel hits a rock a year after I buy the fork. Reliability - I don't mind servicing my fork at recommended intervals, and I don't mind replacing the consumable parts in them like seals, but having a fork randomly start spewing oil and fuck up a ride drives me nuts. I also hate having to buy a whole new damper because the old one went bad, and want to be able to fix it rather than replace it.

Far as I can tell the 38 is a creakfest, the zeb is a roll of the dice but maybe, and the boxxer or 40 seems promising but would require a new wheel for me too, so pretty significant price increase. Are people blowing up zebs?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I want something to put on the front end of my 160mm travel Enduro bike. I'll be running it with 180mm of travel. I'm okay with the geo changes that will come with it.

Things I like: durability and longevity. Smoothness, and reducing feedback in my hands. I want moderate progression.

I weigh 175, and stiffness is not a significant concern. I'm not riding fast enough to feel a difference in steering between a 40 and a boxxer anymore, and I pretty much don't give a shit about it.

Things I absolutely hate: Creaking crowns. I want my bikes to be quiet, not sound like a gunshot is going off every time the front wheel hits a rock a year after I buy the fork. Reliability - I don't mind servicing my fork at recommended intervals, and I don't mind replacing the consumable parts in them like seals, but having a fork randomly start spewing oil and fuck up a ride drives me nuts. I also hate having to buy a whole new damper because the old one went bad, and want to be able to fix it rather than replace it.

Far as I can tell the 38 is a creakfest, the zeb is a roll of the dice but maybe, and the boxxer or 40 seems promising but would require a new wheel for me too, so pretty significant price increase. Are people blowing up zebs?
paging @HAB to the mezzer phone

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006

Got 2 38's, a 23 Zeb, a Mezzer, and have owned another 21 or 22 Zeb in the last year.

The Mezzer had the crown shit out on me the fastest. In like a month. Still out for warranty. It's got some redeeming features but it's not a fork I'm going to continue with once it's back. The bushings on it were crazy tight (had to burnish them and holy hell there was a lot of sweat while doing that), and the dust wipers still get more friction than I'd like. The air spring is smooth with a modified seal but it's lacking the top-out/initial travel smoothness that Fox/RS have figured out, unless you do the negative travel trick with the air spring at fill-up. The damper does work well though, but it's got other issues that overshadow it. I thought the air spring was a bit lacking and I could overwhelm it with really hard riding even with some outlandish stiff settings.

The 38 chassis and air spring and serviceability are all pretty awesome. No creaks on the 2 I have. One with significantly more time/harder use on it than the other. Both needed the bushings burnished badly. Fit was terrible stock. The major downfall of that fork is the compression damper that does just about nothing. It's fully serviceable and all parts are available if you wanted to do a really thorough rebuild on it. If you don't have a dyno and a machine shop, you're probably not going to be able to modify the damper enough for heavy duty park use if you like firmer settings. If you're using it on local trails, it's fine. The LSR/HSR works as it should. The air spring works nicely with appropriate ramp-up available. No funny behavior off the top that needs correction (tried this with a Luftkappe).

The new Zeb has some stiction issues (I haven't even had mine apart yet because it's pretty new) which might just be from everything being dry. Does not seem to have bushing fitment issues, but haven't verified. Have their special sauce fluid on order. Gobs of compression damping, and rebound damping. This fork can be ridden quite hard, and SHOULD be ridden quite hard to feel correct. The buttercups are no gimmick. My only wish for this fork is to have the same floating axle that Fox has. More negative volume in the air spring than before, and it's quite progressive. Even the 0 token setting ramps up adequately for some harder riding. Running 1 token (stock) and a couple psi higher than recommended with near middle comp settings, I was able to push the front end VERY hard at some messy resort trails.

Older Zeb. Pretty flat air spring and minimal compression damping force. Great for eating up ground-level chatter though. For flatter trails where some dive/settle is preferred, does well. Tried some aftermarket damper/spring modifications and really should have just left the damn thing stock. Eventually sold it, but it had no durability issues along the way. Expect to overwhelm it with park riding or run it stiffer and deal with those effects.

None of these really "blow up" anymore. Anything with a spring-backed IFP is already going to be more reliable, and to the bike industry's credit, air springs are pretty reliable these days too. The structure (crowns and bushings) seem to be the things that crap out. None of them have enough oil in the lowers to "spew" if you tear a dust wiper, except the Mezzer, which uses something like 40cc of motor oil in each leg and has a significant pneumatic effect, where the others do not.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Zeb air spring is pretty whack OEM, you need the Secus IMO. Damping under the revised air spring then becomes better...but mid valve spring is too stiff. Pretty solid though, haven't blown up.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Zeb air spring is pretty whack OEM, you need the Secus IMO. Damping under the revised air spring then becomes better...but mid valve spring is too stiff. Pretty solid though, haven't blown up.
'22 or '23?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Softer MV spring in that fork didn't do much of anything.

No fork "needs" a giant testicle hanging off the bottom of it. Some pneumatic preload on the system can be a good thing. This obsession with trying to get the volumes set so the fork sags under its own weight has lots of unintended consequences and is great for riders on flat ground who sit down all the time.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Softer MV spring in that fork didn't do much of anything.

No fork "needs" a giant testicle hanging off the bottom of it. Some pneumatic preload on the system can be a good thing. This obsession with trying to get the volumes set so the fork sags under its own weight has lots of unintended consequences and is great for riders on flat ground who sit down all the time.
I can absolutely feel the difference with the softer mid-valve spring. To be specific, it's not the valving over the mid-valve, it's the floating valve spring.

The 22 spring was impossible to dial in well on it's own. The Secus makes it a little softer off the top, but manage mid-stroke much better without having to run crazy low pressure to get compliance.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
did the new CSU on the Zeb solve the creaking issues of the first version? the CSU was redesigned from what I understand

A big guy reported getting his Zeb warrantied 3 times within half a year in 2021 for creaking issues... he is over 100kg (200lbs-ish maybe?), run 170mm of travel and has 223mm rotors. He got back to a Lyrik and has been happy ever since

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
This has probably been touched on before, but the sponsored content/industry reviews seems particularly blurred these days, making it pretty hard to sift through and even figure out what the right product to buy is. Looking at getting a longer travel fork for my enduro bike and debating between something like a Zeb/38 and a lowered boxxer/40. Keep landing on reviews like this:

"This fork will literally suck your dick"

That's neat and all, but I'm trying to compare it to this other fork you also said would "literally suck your dick" so it doesn't help me all that much.

And on that topic, the reviews of the 38/Zeb all seem to blow. They've both been out for long enough that there should be a fairly solid long term review on them comparing them in apples to apples comparisons to the comparable forks, but instead we get shit like

"The new zeb weighs 1.5 lbs more than a lyrik, has an additional 20-30mm of travel, and is actually a lot more similar to a DH fork than a lyrik! So we're going to compare it to a lyrik and tell you how much better it is for long travel applications and not mention DH forks or comparing it to a DH fork again even though functionally, a 180mm zeb and a 180mm Boxxer would be the most apples to apples comparison."

And since pinkbike blazed the trail with running on conflicts of interest between reviewing things and taking money from the manufacturers of the products they're reviewing, reviews have gotten even shittier.

For once I want to see a review say something like "This fork performed fantastically. It was smooth, behaved predictably in all manner of conditions, provided fantastic midstroke support while also never feeling overly harsh, and also cooked us breakfast after sucking out dick. But, it needed 3 teardowns and the crown started creaking after 8 months, so for this reason, we don't recommend it. In fact, we think the mfg needs to go back to drawing board and start over."
I think Vital or someone had some enduro racer compare different gear on their Youtube and those comps were pretty good and informative. Look those up as I remember seeing forks there too but generally yeah I agree. It's copy paste the same about every part or a bike that's amazing in 2021 is no longer amazing in 2022 despite nothing changing.

Also how is Ohlins availability where you live? Many rich kids sell theirs beause they don't pass parking lot tests so they can be bought cheap here.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I haven't creaked the Zeb yet, but the Lyrik usually took at least a season for me before it did and I'm not going to get the hours on the bike this season as in seasons past. The ability to hold a line with the Zeb is noticeably better, trying to balance out the air spring and damping so it's not significantly worse than the Avy Lyrik is where I'm at. I'd love to be able to put the Avy damper in the Zeb.