Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I think it's pretty hard to compare forks due to overly-wide manufacturing tolerances unless you ride multiple samples of each fork. I had 3 of the 2019-2021 gen Lyriks. Two felt good - no significant binding. One had tight bushings and slight mis-alignment of the dropouts where screwing the axle in would introduce some binding. I've also had multiple of the current gen 36s with varying amounts of bushing tightness. Basically fork manufacturers either suck at QC or have tolerance standards that are too loose.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Honestly they probably have the tightest tolerances you can mass manufacture at the price point. You'd think boutique forks like dvo, manitou, and ohlins would be able to burnish the bushings at assembly to fit, but I had to send my sapphire back for that. Granted they did fix it under warranty.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Honestly they probably have the tightest tolerances you can mass manufacture at the price point. You'd think boutique forks like dvo, manitou, and ohlins would be able to burnish the bushings at assembly to fit, but I had to send my sapphire back for that. Granted they did fix it under warranty.
I am guessing thinwall magnesium castings aren't aren't the most dimensionally stable things in the world.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
why does this have a suspension component on the front?

I started watching the crankworks slopestlye last night and made it about 5 minutes when I saw they were putting emoji faces on the riders when showing riding clips. Switched to the dh and they show boxxer settings of the rider in the gate. Two years off and its only gotten worse. Also noticed rampage wont be shown in the country that hosts it. Im done. Fuck this industry.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
why does this have a suspension component on the front?

I started watching the crankworks slopestlye last night and made it about 5 minutes when I saw they were putting emoji faces on the riders when showing riding clips. Switched to the dh and they show boxxer settings of the rider in the gate. Two years off and its only gotten worse. Also noticed rampage wont be shown in the country that hosts it. Im done. Fuck this industry.
You're just saying that because the mtb media industry is absolute garbage that actively makes the world a worse place to live in though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Considering how poorly the industry is doing I am just surprised that none of the masterminds here haven't started their own companies and dominating the industry. Should be like beating up a 7 year old.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Considering how poorly the industry is doing I am just surprised that none of the masterminds here haven't started their own companies and dominating the industry. Should be like beating up a 7 year old.
Haha. Too easy.

French DH celebration was fun. I got thrown off the stage by the very friendly French police. The 2 handed push with the billy club was pretty gentle. Fuckin A man! DH is a great thing!

02B91EB1-F5CD-40A8-B6E6-98658D23C0FE.jpeg

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

Be better off taking over the Cartels Blow import business into the USA. Make real money, avoid all taxation and provide those up-and-coming Hollywood stars with the fuel to film those shady mattress scenes in Van Nuys cause they realized there are 2500 other girls better looking trying out for that same role and rent is due......

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Haha. Too easy.

French DH celebration was fun. I got thrown off the stage by the very friendly French police. The 2 handed push with the billy club was pretty gentle. Fuckin A man! DH is a great thing!

View attachment 181194

That makes Snowshoe look like a church camp!
The clip of Amaury and Loic getting away on top of the police car was classic.

And with PFP taking both gold medals for the women, surprised they didn't burn the place down.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
They're French, at most they would've got stuffed with cheese and wine.
I don't think you want to see French people go crazy. When the students protested in the 60s De Gualle considered running from the country... Also didn't the French protesters destroy 60% of speed cameras in the country? If protesting was an Olympic sport The French would domiate it more than they dominate downhill

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I don't think you want to see French people go crazy. When the students protested in the 60s De Gualle considered running from the country... Also didn't the French protesters destroy 60% of speed cameras in the country? If protesting was an Olympic sport The French would domiate it more than they dominate downhill
Not an apples to apples situation here. I respect the gillettes jaunes movement, but we're talking about throwing wild parties here, not opposing a raise in taxes. Take a look at any French punk concert video for a closer reference to what I'm likening the Les Gets' "mob" to.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Not an apples to apples situation here. I respect the gillettes jaunes movement, but we're talking about throwing wild parties here, not opposing a raise in taxes. Take a look at any French punk concert video for a closer reference to what I'm likening the Les Gets' "mob" to.
True. I was just pointing out the fact the French can get rowdy if they want to. I've been to maybe 1 or 2 rowdy french parties (weirdly for work) so they do happen but you are correct most of France isn't a fetish rave in Berlin

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
....most of France isn't a fetish rave in Berlin
Now wait a second here! Did you see "Clubbed to Death"? I know, fiction, but the club scenes in the suburbs describe the reality pretty realistic from what I was told.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I personally cant wait to beg for start up dollars from some silicon valley douche, just to come up with something that pit viper fannypack bros dont understand but I have to beg for their attention anyway. If only I could get a product review from their kitted out sprinter van hyping my shit, we could have a real future for my new THICC fork line.

I mean, my god, it's like my personal dream come true.

Much like sram all standards have gone out the window.

Someone here recently made a good point about how buying your way out of problems through consumerism doesnt fix the problems created by consumerism. Cant remember who...

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
When a rider geta fined, where does that money go?

If it was for a beer fund or some riders association or union, that'd be cool.

Like when the NHL fines a player, doesn't that money go into the NHLPA, which directly benefits the players?