Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Yeah, came here to post this. WTF???? :rant:
They have a cool team with Gracey and Blenki getting them exposure. Maybe they know that UCI/Disco will fuck this up and pulled the plug?
If you read/believe some of the comments, it certainly sounds like this may be the situation for many of the small to medium sized companies (i.e. they're in the back of the Asian production queue and the economic forecast for the next couple years is looking pretty grim). 2023 could be a really weird and shitty year for bike companies and WC racing.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I wonder what's going on with all the companies that reported record breaking revenues, this and that, couldn't keep up and turned around and said they are going to invest in scaling up production.

Will be a lot of wasted cash if everything tumbles down after. Assuming they actually worked towards ramping up and not staying staying put and raking in the cash.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I wonder what's going on with all the companies that reported record breaking revenues, this and that, couldn't keep up and turned around and said they are going to invest in scaling up production.

Will be a lot of wasted cash if everything tumbles down after. Assuming they actually worked towards ramping up and not staying staying put and raking in the cash.
Not if you invested it in ebikes...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
99% of this thread is people complaining about new stuff that wasn't intended for them in the first place.
Yup.

Re: the Float X2, there have been multiple generations of that shock. The pressure limit changed with the design iterations.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
For Fox, if Factory vs Performance Elite are the same, minus the bling, why are less sizes offered in latter version?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yup.

Re: the Float X2, there have been multiple generations of that shock. The pressure limit changed with the design iterations.
Float X2s need to come with their own postage box for warranty returns. Everybody I know with one is on multiple warranty rebuilds now.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
@HAB

Wow! It's like they created a new shock! Fucking amazing!!! Why not rename it! Un-fucking-believable!!!

They can call it the X2.1 like Rockshit does with dampers!

Or the Fox Super Deluxe Race Performance Ultimate X2! Totally awesome!

Or how about the X3 since it holds 300psi! Un-fucking-real!
#Revolutionary

Last edited:

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Aaron Gwin is pretty up in arms about this PayPal TOS controversy, which seems to.be blowing up (only?) on the right-wing internet today.

Coincidental, I'm sure, but his favorite talking head, Ben Shapiro, moved to Tennessee not long before Gwin did.

More of a "What's wrong with America" than a "what's wrong with the industry" thread. I was enjoying those breakdowns if his old runs, too.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Aaron Gwin is pretty up in arms about this PayPal TOS controversy, which seems to.be blowing up (only?) on the right-wing internet today.

Coincidental, I'm sure, but his favorite talking head, Ben Shapiro, moved to Tennessee not long before Gwin did.

More of a "What's wrong with America" than a "what's wrong with the industry" thread. I was enjoying those breakdowns if his old runs, too.
Link?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

Care to elaborate a bit more for those of us not so familiar with American politics?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Just checked the controversial Paypal TOS, fucking bullshit indeed. Luckily they reverted the change, if I understand the news correctly.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Morally dubious followers of a ficticous BOOK? Organised religion is corrupt AF.

Happy Monday morning mother fuckers.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Nothing to do with politics, a private company reserving the right to "fine" you thousands of dollars if you do something that the private company doesn't like.
Thank you for the details! And sorry for the bad choice of words. I wrote "politics" actually because I was just about to enter my son's basketball game, so I was in a hurry, but I understood it was about PayPal.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Nothing to do with politics, a private company reserving the right to "fine" you thousands of dollars if you do something that the private company doesn't like.
We opened this door when everybody was fine with them denying payments for goods they do not like, e.g. guns (side note: I have to be really careful when buying Intense frames, their bike names trigger the algorithms).
Same for the social media providers: when they censor stuff we think they should, we also give them the power to censor everything. The public was OK when they became more than just the providers of a platform but a mediator of societal interactions.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo

Yeah, I didn't hear anything about it but the wife did. She promptly closed her PP account. And it apparently was quite difficult to do. She doesn't use it very often. I'd say once a year? I'm the family accountant so I see these transactions, so I know. Yet they said because you have "recurring payments" set up, you just can't close the account. Which doesn't make sense as any account linked to her PP account was not "recurring". IDK the whole thing stinks. Glad they reversed it.

Conspiracy theory? Another act to monitor people's spending and ability to track it. But the weird thing is [the theory goes] it was based on if someone didn't agree with what you may have posted somewhere that was "misinformation". They could take $2500 (I think that was the amount) out of your account. Which is like, who gets to say what's "misinformation"? Again, the whole thing stinks. I'm posting this here. Think someone should be able to charge me money for that? No effing way.

I still have my PP account. To be honest, I use it mostly to pay buddies back for bike vacation getaways. Like Bob paid for the accommodations, Jim paid for one of the dinners, gas, etc. I pay them back via PP and all was good. Maybe not anymore? There are plenty of alternatives.

Have you seen their stock price since then? It took a huge nose dive right after that. Like who would actually do that? What school of business did you go to? PP pretty much just committed suicide. Idiots. Just doesn't make sense.

Oh and to make this relevant....did you see Remi Mettalier's vid w/ Nate Hills (follow cam friday guy) out in Bartlett's Wash, Moab. Pretty fun to see him pucker up on things where Nate is like, it's ok man, you can do your giant gaps and drops, but I can get inches away from dying off a cliff. That's what I'm good at. Awesome. :)

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
If you read/believe some of the comments, it certainly sounds like this may be the situation for many of the small to medium sized companies (i.e. they're in the back of the Asian production queue and the economic forecast for the next couple years is looking pretty grim). 2023 could be a really weird and shitty year for bike companies and WC racing.
At the shop today the talk was that things are about to get bad for at least some bikes companies. Demand has fallen compared to the last two years.
MSRPs on complete bikes have gotten ridiculous for mediocre spec and we expect that to further dampen new bike buying. People just don't see an argument to spend $8k for a bike that may have better geo than their current ride but weighs more and the spec is lower.
We're getting the impression that frames are piling up in warehouses but they still have trouble getting bikes shipped because of random parts shortages (chains, suspension, derailleurs).

It didn't surprise me at all to hear that a company like Norco is in a tight enough spot that they had to slash their marketing budget (that's what a race team is).

A woman from Sram called and asked to talk to someone at our shop who uses their B2B site and does our ordering. That's mostly me but I didn't want to talk so I passed the phone to the shop owner. Hearing one side of the conversation was hilarious. I could tell she asked if we were using the site a lot. He said, "We would if you had parts to sell." She probably said something about having plenty in stock. He said, "How about 12spd chains?" (Obviously not available until July '23) He followed it up with, "We'll take two dozen Reverbs, no, just kidding." For a moment she must have thought she'd hit the jackpot.

P. S. How are the major parts distributors (QBP) not throwing a fit about the current distribution situation? Somehow they can't get parts to sell but stuff is making it from the factories onto the internet. Some shady dealings must be happening in Asia. Is it straight up theft from the back door of the factory? Is the buyer for Trek using their clout to get a large shipment of chains, supposedly for complete bikes, but selling half of them through Amazon and ebay? I'd be curious how it's working. You can't get a chain through normal channels for 9 months but there's plenty on the internet shipping straight from Asia.

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
I would like to know how many DH bikes are sold in a year.
This is one of my peeves this summer. Whenever I go to bike parks I'm almost the only one on a DH bike. The current obsession is how little travel you can have on a bike that can handle DH and park riding. Of course these bikes don't weigh any less than mine, have more mechanical issues, and make riding harder for their owners. I don't get the aversion everyone suddenly has for 200mm of travel. On the one hand DH dead. No one is buying DH bikes. On the other, DH riding is thriving. I see plenty of people at the bike parks.
A sure sign that I'm getting old is the world doesn't make sense anymore.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Float X2s need to come with their own postage box for warranty returns. Everybody I know with one is on multiple warranty rebuilds now.
That's what I've been hearing but it all seems to happen on my days off (I have a lot of those). My boss says X2s are made to last a couple weeks but somehow I haven't actually experienced this.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Demand is a funny thing. I remember when covid first hit, lockdowns hit, people were told to not go to work, not to mix in crowds, go to indoor places, etc.

Mountain biking went bat-shit crazy. Every store sold out of every kind of bike. The floors were swept clean. Every trail system was crowded as F and even though there were no tourists, every person that usually does other stuff was out. Production shortages didn't set in until later. When factories were shut down, parts went unproduced and many bikes were stuck (and still are) on a few integral parts...but not in the earlier days.

Thing is, that wild rush of people that don't normally do outside stuff or ride bikes would never be sustained. Was great while it lasted, but that kind of demand doesn't sustain. Now I go into the shops and it's the opposite. They are all stocked up with all kinds of bikes and they aren't moving like before.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This is one of my peeves this summer. Whenever I go to bike parks I'm almost the only one on a DH bike. The current obsession is how little travel you can have on a bike that can handle DH and park riding. Of course these bikes don't weigh any less than mine, have more mechanical issues, and make riding harder for their owners. I don't get the aversion everyone suddenly has for 200mm of travel. On the one hand DH dead. No one is buying DH bikes. On the other, DH riding is thriving. I see plenty of people at the bike parks.
A sure sign that I'm getting old is the world doesn't make sense anymore.
My buddy that ran into me at the park when I was taking a trail junction...because he couldn't stop on his e-bro trail bike or whatever.

RUN WHAT YOU BRUNG! There was the guy on mtbr boasting about riding his Epic at the park.

I mean fuck, I'll just hit you with a baseball bat a few times at the bottom and only charge you $20.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I do get into the predicament though when traveling on whether to ride my enduro bike or rent. Riding my enduro bike when it's got coil on both ends and I've put at least DD casing tires...or riding rental bike with insurance...except, the rental bike may be impossible to tune for my weight, with the wrong size springs and ill-working suspension and brakes. So that can definitely turn the tide in the favor of running my own rig...but I'm going to weigh it pretty heavily for a vacation, I want to enjoy the runs and not fight them while riding something ill-equipped for the mountain. But I sure as hell ain't going to ride a park on a trail bike and all things being equal I'd rather have the DH rig...just their use is not frequently enough to make sense for most riders...most riders that prefer downs to ups even.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I don't get the aversion everyone suddenly has for 200mm of travel..
I'd wager if you gave those people a DH bike they'd use it. I know I would. I'd say they're just running what they've got, and they've probably got what works for 90% of the riding they do, not the 10% you're seeing.