Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, but I highly doubt your snow season is similar to coastal South New England.
My point is a light half inch dusting on cold ground is pretty rad to ride on any bike. But you get more than, like inches, and it's just a cluster-F trying to ride a skinny bike as you zig zag all over the place trying to go in in a general direction that matches the trail. In more than a few situations...you *can*...but you aren't riding like in the summer. In those situations, a fat bike rides a hell of a lot more like summer conditions.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
It is incredibly fun.
Can you or @Gary explain to me why Emtb is more fun in Snow? I like eMTB's as a concept so this doesn't come from a position of hate but I assumed all where an EMTB makes sense is the extra assistance for more rounds on non lift assisted runs.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Can you or @Gary explain to me why Emtb is more fun in Snow? I like eMTB's as a concept so this doesn't come from a position of hate but I assumed all where an EMTB makes sense is the extra assistance for more rounds on non lift assisted runs.
Riding in soft snow can be incredibly tiring when not packed down well. I assume the motor takes care of that part so the combo of low traction and high power can deliver the funzies.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Wot he said :imstupid::imstupid:
Boosting through hub deep powder fairly effortlessly on flatter/undulating trails. Actually being able to climb at a decent speed without puking... Then descending on a super stable bike with power when you get bogged down in snow if you need it.
I also ride to work off road in snow/ice when my car is snowed in then cruise past queues of Jerry's in unsuitable (for the weather) cars once I reach the city.

I even reckon Fatbike would be fun if they had motors.
Ridden tons of Fatbike BTW. In snow, sand, mud and normal trails.. I just don't rate them as fun.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Boosting through hub deep powder fairly effortlessly on flatter/undulating trails. Actually being able to climb at a decent speed without puking... Then descending on a super stable bike with power when you get bogged down in snow if you need it.
I also ride to work off road in snow/ice when my car is snowed in then cruise past queues of Jerry's in unsuitable (for the weather) cars once I reach the city.

Ridden tons of Fatbike BTW. In snow, sand, mud and normal trails.. I just don't rate them as fun.
Aaah I thought I was missing something. For that sure. Also in agreement about e-fatbike. Would be fun

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo

Well shit guys. Now you make me want to ride trails on the eeb in the snow. But skiing. It's a little tricky here in the freedom kingdom for ebikes. But I know of a spot....Hmmm...I'll post pics if/when I do.........Ski spots getting early snow and opening early so no promises....I'll keep you posted

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There are some people that use assist bikes in the snow here.

They hook up a few dogs on harnesses.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
That must be 20 years old now, I wonder how badly he's regretting some of his earlier decisions in life...

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Douche bags on e-bikes. That's what's wrong.

They know they're going to be faster on climbs yet don't bother giving you a good headstart. Next thing you know, all you hear is the spaceship sound of their e-engine. You can just feel them pushing to get past you. You pull off the to side, wrecking your momentum, and they say "thanks, two more behind me". Then sure enough, another two old guys on their e-bikes roll past you.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

They know they're going to be faster on climbs yet don't bother giving you a good headstart. Next thing you know, all you hear is the spaceship sound of their e-engine. You can just feel them pushing to get past you. You pull off the to side, wrecking your momentum, and they say "thanks, two more behind me". Then sure enough, another two old guys on their e-bikes roll past you.
spoiler alert: it's usually younger guys :disgust1:

Set ebikes on fire.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK

You also know they're quicker. So basically YOU get to chose when, if and how they are allowed to pass you so as not to ruin your "momentum"

Eebs have the power to boost past on rougher lower grip terrain off the main line. So let them do that. If they don't have the skill, speed or timing then simply ask them to wait until there's room for you to yeild to them without you losing any momentum .
Hard to believe anyone here would need this pointing out.

Last edited:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I usually do my very best to let the eBikers pass me as cleanly as possible on the uphill, cause I expect the same from them on the downhill 2 minutes later! :)

Bonus points when I'm on the hardtail.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Or the guy on the DH flow trail with the dog that can't keep up that is way behind the rider and now you can't go fast either.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I usually do my very best to let the eBikers pass me as cleanly as possible on the uphill, cause I expect the same from them on the downhill 2 minutes later! :)
If only it was that well reciprocated. Passing on descents is always so awkward because you're usually passing someone who is super out of their comfort zone. I'm always impressed by how seamlessly the pros can sneak past other riders on their helmet cams. I'm always super wary doing it.

Or the guy on the DH flow trail with the dog that can't keep up that is way behind the rider and now you can't go fast either.
I love dogs but fuck I wish the trail dog thing would stop.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have a friend that has a backpack for their cat. They ride with it.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Eebs have the power to boost past on rougher lower grip terrain off the main line. So let them do that. If they don't have the skill, speed or timing then simply ask them to wait until there's room for you to yeild to them without you losing any momentum .
Hard to believe anyone here would need this pointing out.
I’m guessing your trails aren’t as fragile. Full disclosure: I picked up a Rocky Powerplay, that I have yet to ride. But doing what you suggest here is AWFUL for our trails, and our relationship with the Forest Service. We DON’T WANT our trails any wider just because some shitbags have the capability to make them so. Keep single track single! Stay on the goddamn trail!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I’m guessing your trails aren’t as fragile. Full disclosure: I picked up a Rocky Powerplay, that I have yet to ride. But doing what you suggest here is AWFUL for our trails, and our relationship with the Forest Service. We DON’T WANT our trails any wider just because some shitbags have the capability to make them so. Keep single track single! Stay on the goddamn trail!
And yet...
pinocchio.gif
Not so fragile for YOU to pull off the side of, wait for Ebikes to pass and then set off again scrabbling for traction?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
And yet... View attachment 184757Not so fragile for YOU to pull off the side of, wait for Ebikes to pass and then set off again scrabbling for traction?
There's a difference between riding off the trail and leaning to the side and grabbing a tree while someone goes around.

Trail widening is a serious problem around Toronto and no one should be encouraged to participate in any of it.