Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Sounds like your trails are really crowded. Damn, that would make me not want to ride. I have only seen 1 other eeb where I live. Granted it's only allowed in one zone, a State Park. Or moto legal trails. I always yield when I'm on the eeb. Up, down, whatever. If I catch up to peeps, I just stop for some water and let them keep going. I really never catch up to people on the downs. I'm pretty sure I'm slower on the downs on the eeb than on regular. They're just that heavy and I'm just so weak! :)

Trail dogs! FFS! Where I live they are supposed to be on a leash at all times. But people still think it's ok to let off leash. I mean, there are rattlesnakes out here. Not to mention out of control wanna be pro DH'ers. And plenty of blind curves. Not sure which is worse.

Have you ever hit a dog? I have. It'll throw you right out the front door. There is no time to react. One was my own dog where he decided to cut the course. My private land. He was austrailian, not french (HA). Then in Pemberton a local brought his lab. Great dog, but not if he stops in the middle of an elevated log feature right in front of you.

I love dogs, but dogs and bikes just don't mix. It can actually be pretty dangerous.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
On the trails where ebikes are legal, you are lucky to really see anyone at all after the first mile. (Maybe a few more on weekends). This is one reason why the trails are still skinny. Let’s keep it that way.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
this is why I went back to riding so much DH this year. yet I still saw people on ebikes at the bike park. at least they stay on the flow trails.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
this is why I went back to riding so much DH this year. yet I still saw people on ebikes at the bike park. at least they stay on the flow trails.
I mean if that's their only bike no issue with it. I have some mates that live in the mountains and they are far away from parks but sometimes go riding with friends to a park. The choice is

a) Not ride your bike
b) rent
c) Ride the e-bike in park

Sure it looks dumb but when did we all get so judgy?

Though I do get the problem with ebikers described above

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sounds like your trails are really crowded. Damn, that would make me not want to ride. I have only seen 1 other eeb where I live. Granted it's only allowed in one zone, a State Park. Or moto legal trails. I always yield when I'm on the eeb. Up, down, whatever. If I catch up to peeps, I just stop for some water and let them keep going. I really never catch up to people on the downs. I'm pretty sure I'm slower on the downs on the eeb than on regular. They're just that heavy and I'm just so weak! :)

Trail dogs! FFS! Where I live they are supposed to be on a leash at all times. But people still think it's ok to let off leash. I mean, there are rattlesnakes out here. Not to mention out of control wanna be pro DH'ers. And plenty of blind curves. Not sure which is worse.

Have you ever hit a dog? I have. It'll throw you right out the front door. There is no time to react. One was my own dog where he decided to cut the course. My private land. He was austrailian, not french (HA). Then in Pemberton a local brought his lab. Great dog, but not if he stops in the middle of an elevated log feature right in front of you.

I love dogs, but dogs and bikes just don't mix. It can actually be pretty dangerous.
Something that seems to be really popular around here is losing your trail dog in the mountains. Would guess only about half of them get found.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Something that seems to be really popular around here is losing your trail dog in the mountains. Would guess only about half of them get found.
This sounds like a premise for a sci-fi film where traildogs form a secret civilization to come back to take revenge on the masters that left them. Have a freak mechanical? It's the lost traildogs doing. Kind of like why milk gets sour because forrest elves pee in it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This sounds like a premise for a sci-fi film where traildogs form a secret civilization to come back to take revenge on the masters that left them. Have a freak mechanical? It's the lost traildogs doing. Kind of like why milk gets sour because forrest elves pee in it.
I'd watch it

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I mean if that's their only bike no issue with it. I have some mates that live in the mountains and they are far away from parks but sometimes go riding with friends to a park. The choice is

a) Not ride your bike
b) rent
c) Ride the e-bike in park

Sure it looks dumb but when did we all get so judgy?

Though I do get the problem with ebikers described above
not judging, just an observation

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
You also know they're quicker. So basically YOU get to chose when, if and how they are allowed to pass you so as not to ruin your "momentum"

Eebs have the power to boost past on rougher lower grip terrain off the main line. So let them do that. If they don't have the skill, speed or timing then simply ask them to wait until there's room for you to yeild to them without you losing any momentum .
Hard to believe anyone here would need this pointing out.
I'm not saying everyone on ebikes are complete douches, just the ones that have no trail etiquette.

If I had an ebike and I knew I was riding on trails where the majority of bikes were powered by humans, I'd have some self-awareness and not be a donkey. So maybe change my complaint from "douche bags on ebikes" to "douche bags with no trail etiquette and self awareness they should be banned from leaving their houses."

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm not saying everyone on ebikes are complete douches, just the ones that have no trail etiquette.

If I had an ebike and I knew I was riding on trails where the majority of bikes were powered by humans, I'd have some self-awareness and not be a donkey. So maybe change my complaint from "douche bags on ebikes" to "douche bags with no trail etiquette and self awareness they should be banned from leaving their houses."
/me is a good egg wrt trail etiquette on my e-bike

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I like riding my Ebike with music playing through my Bluetooth earbuds.
Any of you slow whiney old timers considering giving up mountain biking yet?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I like riding my Ebike with music playing through my Bluetooth earbuds.
Any of you slow whiney old timers considering giving up mountain biking yet?
For a bit, I admit. I let the music flow from my cell phone. You know, loaded playlist, good, motivating type stuff. At 6am who doesn't need that? Back then there really wasn't anyone else on the trail.

But now I use a head phone that goes thru "bone" tech(?) Check out Aftershokz. It doesn't sit in your ear, so you can hear ambient sound as well as your music, or phone call, whateves. It's really cool when you wear earplugs while mowing the lawn, but yet you can hear music like you weren't wearing ear plugs. Crazy.

I use these things while driving and listening to work meetings. Don't tell anyone. When I go off mute, they'll hear the noise. No hiding that.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I ride my bike to get away from all this noise, that also includes music. The sound of nature is enough for me.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Top tip: Simply avoid the sort of earbuds that have silicone "buds" which jam in your ears, don't use noise cancelling and set the volume of your music to the maximum level that you can still hear your tyres. (Road or off road) and you'll safely hear others.

As for the sound of nature. I already live out in the country on a farm surrounded by woodland and fields so probably don't really have the sort of noise you need to get away from. But commuting into the city does take up around 8 hours of my week and I'd probably go mental without tunes to enjoy while doing that.
Mtb is often a far MOAR social thing anyway . So obviously music isn't required then.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I ride my bike to get away from all this noise, that also includes music. The sound of nature is enough for me.
It depends on the trail. On techy or very fast trails you don't hear the nature anyway. On long mellow trails sure, no headphones but on boring uphils to trails you like? I'd rather be occupied by something that worry if I turned off the iron.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
"e-noise while riding " refers to buds/music, etc. And I'll add visible displays of speed distance, whatever...
How loud are those earbuds? My hearing is shit and unless you ride near me you don't hear what i'm listening too. As for people who ride with speakers we all know they are going to hell.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
y‘all wait till everyone has their AR goggles on while riding…
I love being crashed into when I'm on the side of the trail. Though this is nothing for mountain biking. This will be amazing for skiing. Distracted people losing control of their skis?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
*Inept snowboarders entered the chat*
Yeah both groups have their incompetent people but skis are less forgiving when it comes to someone doing something dumb and losing control.

Also I once got sent into a hospital becaue a girl tried to jam her ski up my butt, nearly hit my spine too. Can't raise your snowboard and it's not as pointy. It is not fun to realize all of your back is covered in blood because someone is into ski jousting.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Yeah both groups have their incompetent people but skis are less forgiving when it comes to someone doing something dumb and losing control.

Also I once got sent into a hospital becaue a girl tried to jam her ski up my butt, nearly hit my spine too. Can't raise your snowboard and it's not as pointy. It is not fun to realize all of your back is covered in blood because someone is into ski jousting.
Inept skiers at least see what's in front of them.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Inept skiers at least see what's in front of them.
Are you saying she aimed for my butt on purpose? I mean I know I'm popular with the girls but I didn't know I was making them this crazy. I thought I only have that effect on people here.

Last edited: