Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Internal brake line routing, and the requirement to disassemble/reassemble/bleed brakes due to same, is what is wrong with the industry.
But "clean lines bro"

Scott's new bike look sweet, but I'm like ugh...a 5 min job looks like a 2 hour job now.

Trust me. It's 1000 times worse on an ebike. Not that anyone cares. AXS helps. But cost/money.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Internal brake line routing, and the requirement to disassemble/reassemble/bleed brakes due to same, is what is wrong with the industry.
Just need bigger holes we can fit the whole caliper through. Maybe Scott can help.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Internal brake lines can suck.

Even more so are the companies that are doing the stem/headset cable and brake routing. Fuck right off with that shit or at the VERY LEAST still provide normal cable routing options.

No one on the planet wants to bleed a brake or redo derailleur cabling if you want to swap a stem or change a headset bearing.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It's not really an "Industry" problem, but the problem with ear buds on trails is that the wearer can't hear what's going on around them. (It's not the noise they make.)

It's always fun to pass people who can't hear when you politely ask multiple times to pass, who then get upset when you startle them. Happens all the time. Usually I just tap my ear and keep going.

I get that people specifically like to "tune out" but that sucks for everyone else around. Certainly a bigger issue in crowded areas with tighter trails.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
the problem with ear buds on trails is that the wearer can't hear what's going on around them.
Go back to the previous page and read the posts from @SylentK and me explaining how we both manage to listen to music and remain aware of our surrounding noise while wearing wireless earbuds.
earbuds with an ambient sound feature are another option.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Go back to the previous page and read the posts from @SylentK and me explaining how we both manage to listen to music and remain aware of our surrounding noise while wearing wireless earbuds.
We can read. The two of you separated by 4600 miles aren't the problem. Its the other 4000 ear bud dorks between yall that are. :busted:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
These days I see tons more clueless (probably new?) riders in our busy/popular riding areas wearing full face helmets that limit their peripheral vision AND hearing.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
As for the sound of nature. I already live out in the country on a farm surrounded by woodland and fields so probably don't really have the sort of noise you need to get away from.
Same for me. Old farm house, only fields and woodlands around me, hardly any noise unless it is harvest season. Even on boring rides I do not listen to music, just not my thing I guess.
I have no problem when folks ride with music unless they are zoned out and are not aware of their surroundings.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah, we can read. I've heard similar arguments from some of the people who didn't hear me coming despite my asking nicely to pass multiple times, and who then got mad that I "snuck up" on them.

But we all know your trail etiquette is untouchable, so don't take it personally. It obviously doesn't apply to you. :rolleyes:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Which leads nicely to the question of.
How many of you trail ragers lose your shit if you find yourself trying to pass a deaf rider?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
No one here has ever mentioned raging out on the trail, unless its to perhaps some rage against the machine.

A deaf person will be obvious and I'm sure they're much more in tune with their surroundings than most others.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The guitar wanking riff in Thunderstruck really isn't all that far off the sound of bagpipes anyway.

AC/DC fans make me laugh

Everyone knows they just ripped off "The Krankies" with their... erm... *image* too

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Everybody rips off the Scots!!
:panic:

I am very lucky that my Scottish neighbor is a nice guy, and he doesn't judge my music preferences either. Must be one in a million.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Internal brake lines can suck.

Even more so are the companies that are doing the stem/headset cable and brake routing. Fuck right off with that shit or at the VERY LEAST still provide normal cable routing options.

No one on the planet wants to bleed a brake or redo derailleur cabling if you want to swap a stem or change a headset bearing.
One thing that doesn't suck is Bird Bike allows you to chose internal/external routing on their bikes. Their solution is neat and others should use it.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
These days I see tons more clueless (probably new?) riders in our busy/popular riding areas wearing full face helmets that limit their peripheral vision AND hearing.
What kind of a FF helmet you are wearing where you can't hear a guy riding behind you? Not a dig. I'm seriously asking as my hearing is rather bad and I still hear people.

Is this what's at your local trails?
1668472765500.png

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
What kind of a FF helmet you are wearing where you can't hear a guy riding behind you?
I don't like helmets at all so rarely pay much attention to what actual brand or model helmet anyone wears. Nevermind folk riding UPHILL in a full face. but the lack of awareness from some folk wearing them has definitely become a way more common occurence than meeting anyone with earbuds in.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The guitar wanking riff in Thunderstruck really isn't all that far off the sound of bagpipes anyway.

AC/DC fans make me laugh

Everyone knows they just ripped off "The Krankies" with their... erm... *image* too

Now you need to tell everyone that those two were married :p