Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If the motor is putting out most of the power you are assisting it, not the other way around. Maybe you're the one ebiker who pedals hard but everyone I've seen is just turning the throttle with their feet instead of their right hand.
But why do we care? As long as they don't cause trail damage or put pineapple on pizza why be mad at people for enjoying their riding differently?

Plus the real idea is still having a tool that allows you to ride MORE. So yes a bigger assist is better since you waste less energy going up and you get to do more runs. From my friends it's mostly people who have to drive to the mountains have non electric bikes but almost all people who actually live in the mountains have e-mtbs because this allows them to ride where they live and do a lot more riding.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
If the motor is putting out most of the power you are assisting it
Firstly. Class1 Emtb motors *average* 250w output and peak at around a maximum of 700w
Last time I checked my FTP was above 250w and my peak power far higher than 700w

Secondly. Who the fuck are you that your opinion on whether others might be outputing more or less power than their motor even matters?

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
This is my last e-mtb ride.
My max HR max on any proper mtb ride is ALWAYS achieved when descending.

My average HR commuting is generally around 10bpm higher on a normal bike than an Eeb. Basically if I use the Eeb it allows me to comfortably stay in zone 2 for the whole ride wheras on a normal bike I yoyo between Z2 & 3.
so basically if I use the Eeb I turn up at work way less sweaty. Which is nice.

But again. Who the fuck cares?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
If ebikers installed power measuring pedals I bet they'd be surpised at how little they're contributing.
All the more decent Ebike midmotors already have torque and cadence sensors (ie. power meter) as that data is used by the firmware to tell the motor to deliver power smoothly and appropriately to the drivetrain based on rider input. Power data for the rider is available on Spesh/brose motors by installing a certain App. Don't know if anyone has come up with an app that does the same for any other motors but don't see how it wouldn't be possible.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Someone who has to listen to ebikers call it "pedal assist" and deny that it's a motorcycle.
Wait a minute, hold the phone. Seriously, people think that ebikes are motorcycles?

Turning cranks is not the same as turning a throttle. IMO. Ask my heart rate.

Like maybe on flat stuff. But I go up shit on my ebike that I hike-a-bike on my regular bike. But that's just me.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Right. Also, a two-wheeled vehicle with cranks and pedals is a bicycle.

Labels are convenient (especially for haters) but it's just not that simple. And be careful guys, you're starting to sound an awful lot like the Sierra Clubbers and other anti-mtb groups. Ride what you want, encourage good behavior regardless, and don't yuck our yum.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Right. Also, a two-wheeled vehicle with cranks and pedals is a bicycle.

Labels are convenient (especially for haters) but it's just not that simple. And be careful guys, you're starting to sound an awful lot like the Sierra Clubbers and other anti-mtb groups. Ride what you want, encourage good behavior regardless, and don't yuck our yum.
but bro, your yum is yukky!
:D

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
From my friends it's mostly people who have to drive to the mountains have non electric bikes but almost all people who actually live in the mountains have e-mtbs because this allows them to ride where they live and do a lot more riding.
Say 10yrs ago I'd see lots of people riding XC bikes on the road to get to or from the bush, now I assume because everybody rides XC on ENDURO bikes that this is no longer an enjoyable exercise. Now most of the people I see on the road heading to or from the bush are on E-bikes, the rest are kids that have parents that can only afford pleb level manual bikes.

I still don't understand people loading an E-Bike in to a car then going for a ride, that seems dumb.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Say 10yrs ago I'd see lots of people riding XC bikes on the road to get to or from the bush, now I assume because everybody rides XC on ENDURO bikes that this is no longer an enjoyable exercise. Now most of the people I see on the road heading to or from the bush are on E-bikes, the rest are kids that have parents that can only afford pleb level manual bikes.

I still don't understand people loading an E-Bike in to a car then going for a ride, that seems dumb.
Your area doesn't have strong XC roots? Most XC people tend to care about weight and pedal bob to the point where they spread untrue theories what causes it. So I still see quite a few of them and the biggest wrong bike is people who could be riding a trailbike when they own an enduro bike. But I won't hate on people riding flow trails on bigger bikes because some people have...one bike or at least 1 mountain bike. Hating on people because they can't own "a road bike", "a dj/pumptrack bike", "XC Bike", "trailbike", Enduro bike", "DH bike". If you have limited space at home/flat or limited money you end up with "the wrong bike" sooner or later.

As for E-Bike to a car. Again. It depends on how many bikes people have. I have mates living in deep mountains who want to go on long rides and sometimes to get to some place they need to drive since otherwise they'd start their trips at 3PM.

So the whole "oh no you have the wrong bike" thing is dumb. First of all because people may have good reasons to use the wrong bike, secondly because they may not afford a bilion of bikes and third is who cares. Nothing is more annoying than douchebags in riding spots meanmugging people trying to find a way to feel superior becasue they are doing bikes "correct". If someone wants to ride an E-Bike Fatbike trike on flow trails I don't care. Sure I will comment it's a bit weird but that's the extent of my interest.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Your area doesn't have strong XC roots? Most XC people tend to care about weight and pedal bob to the point where they spread untrue theories what causes it. So I still see quite a few of them and the biggest wrong bike is people who could be riding a trailbike when they own an enduro bike. But I won't hate on people riding flow trails on bigger bikes because some people have...one bike or at least 1 mountain bike. Hating on people because they can't own "a road bike", "a dj/pumptrack bike", "XC Bike", "trailbike", Enduro bike", "DH bike". If you have limited space at home/flat or limited money you end up with "the wrong bike" sooner or later.

As for E-Bike to a car. Again. It depends on how many bikes people have. I have mates living in deep mountains who want to go on long rides and sometimes to get to some place they need to drive since otherwise they'd start their trips at 3PM.

So the whole "oh no you have the wrong bike" thing is dumb. First of all because people may have good reasons to use the wrong bike, secondly because they may not afford a bilion of bikes and third is who cares. Nothing is more annoying than douchebags in riding spots meanmugging people trying to find a way to feel superior becasue they are doing bikes "correct". If someone wants to ride an E-Bike Fatbike trike on flow trails I don't care. Sure I will comment it's a bit weird but that's the extent of my interest.
I always have the wrong bike but that's because I like owning only one bike and I'm lucky enough that there are three XC places within 10km from home to ride and there's some big jumps and short DH runs a bit further away so an E-Bike would be a waste of Lithium for me.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I always have the wrong bike but that's because I like owning only one bike and I'm lucky enough that there are three XC places within 10km from home to ride and there's some big jumps and short DH runs a bit further away so an E-Bike would be a waste of Lithium for me.
It really depends. Imho an Ebike makes more sense if you live close to the hills. If you have a 3h drive like me you can still chose lift access places or treat riding like a full holiday and ride up. But still the only yucking of yums I will do is people who think Italian coffee is good.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

90% of my bike rides start/end at my place. No car involved. I have to ride 5 km paved/gravel roads to get to trails.
I usually have to take the car if I go on group rides because the others rarely pick the trails close to my place for it, although they are some of the best in Denmark.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You hatey guys do realise pigeon holing everything only serves to make you even more narrow minded and ignorant.

We're not all the same. Thank fuck.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
We're not all the same. Thank fuck.
Agree!

Just consider this: all the folks in my circle that are good riders and own an ebike see it as a way to legally ride MTB trails with "light motos". If Sur Rons or Drill Ones would be allowed on the local trails, they for sure would not ride an ebike. However, they are not the problem: they put tons of trail work in, ride respectfully, know the rules of the trail, etc.. It is this other group of fat and/out out of shape fucks that just ride around super sketchy with their saddles at DH height and no respect for other trail users that is the problem.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
An EMTB rides absolutely nothing like a (lite) moto at all. Those "fat" riders you dislike's weight, lifestyle and fitness are not actually a problem at all. Blind prejudice and elitist attitude is though. The only "problem" I see is the narrow minded views as seen here ad infinitum.

Thank fuck I don't live in a country with tons of stupid "rules" about where you can or can't ride your bike.
We have just one rule* here. Universally understood and only really ever flounted by complete fuckwits with no common sense.

*the law here is basically.. Go where you please but minimise damage and clean up after yourself.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
An EMTB rides absolutely nothing like a (lite) moto at all. Those "fat" riders you dislike's weight, lifestyle and fitness are not actually a problem at all. Your blind prejudice and elitist attitude is. The only "problem" is the narrow minded views as seen here ad infinitum.

Thank fuck I don't live in a country with tons of stupid "rules" about where you can or can't ride your bike.
We have just one rule* here. Universally understood and only really ever flounted by complete fuckwits with no common sense.

*the law here is basically.. Go where you pleases but minimise damage and clean up after yourself.
Idk, seems many have already noted the unsprung to sprung mass weight ratio benefit for suspension tuning. In simple terms, its gunna be plusher. Closer to moto.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Idk, seems many have already noted the unsprung to sprung mass weight ratio benefit for suspension tuning. In simple terms, its gunna be plusher. Closer to moto.
FFS. Stop taking "notes" and actually spend some time riding one. An mtb with heavier downtube and BB area still doesn't make it handle anything like a moto.