Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
No, it’s from a lifetime of knowing engineers.
Lighten up, Francis
(like I should talk, I haven’t watched a sit com since Seinfeld was actually on the TV)

Westy, can we at least agree that quite a few surgeons can be even more singularly focused?

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The human brain uses an adaptive learning technique where in a new situations it fashions together a patchwork world model based on similar previous experiences. It is literally how we navigate every new life experience we have. It not only applies to our subconscious decisions but can benefit us for more conscious creativity and problem solving abilities. Sadly when faced with new challenges a whole lot of people instantly give up if they haven't been explicitly taught how to handle the situation instead of applying that patchwork of knowledge they may have never previously applied that could enable them to handle the new circumstance. The only useless knowledge is false knowledge.

It is also impossible to predict what someone will need to know in life so a diverse education is important. It is also difficult for someone to know what they want to do in life without exposure to a lot of things. Unless you just want to assign a future for a child as they enter school and groom them specifically for the future you have decided upon.
Okay, next time you manage to use your knowledge of octal for something else the beers are on me :p

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Okay, next time you manage to use your knowledge of octal for something else the beers are on me :p
Not sure if I would call it octal but I have had to do weird math with weird 4 bit sensors. But shame on any teacher who teaches something without application.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Not sure if I would call it octal but I have had to do weird math with weird 4 bit sensors. But shame on any teacher who teaches something without application.
Binary, Octal and Hex. Not touched octal since school in 85 or so.

If you know somebody who knows Hex, ask them to count to 4 by hand...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I am sure there are still people out there who do Cobol on old-as-fuck mainframes, including octal numbers.
They likely make 2-5x more $$$ than regular "modern" devs.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
So, how much AI currently exists in the Dev. World?
(serious Q)

As in, is it feasable in the future that a consumer could build a website with word prompts, like
“put a rectangular box in the upper left hand corner, 10mm x 30mm, with a text in Olde English font that says “Morrisey Must Die?, or some such?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
(serious Q)

As in, is it feasable in the future that a consumer could build a website with word prompts, like
“put a rectangular box in the upper left hand corner, 10mm x 30mm, with a text in Olde English font that says “Morrisey Must Die?, or some such?
Apparently just 1 in 10 lines of code is written by an AI these days, mostly in the Python field.

If you want a WYSIWYG web page editor, that kind of stuff has been out there for 20+ years, since the Dreamweaver days.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
(serious Q)

Just ask Siri to do it for you.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Finally the day has come when Ridemonkey runs out of bike industry related mild inconveniences to moan about!

Mark it in your calendar guys. Next year we all get the day off!

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I don't believe any of this. Python is used to build AI/ML models.
And in Ansible automation, infrastructure as code, SCADA, IoT...

The point of Python is the low code approach. It isn't as efficient as some lower lever languages (sometimes by several orders of magnitude), but it's a lot easier to write.

That's why there are a lot more code samples to feed the language writing IAs.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
And in Ansible automation, infrastructure as code, SCADA, IoT...
For sure, Python is used for many other things than just AI/ML. I worked in a startup that built smart runtime instrumentation for interpreted languages including Python, and saw and played with quite a few Python projects.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
"Pro"-riders shilling their sponsor's ebikes and engaging in ICE dirt and trial bike riding in the woods (as seen in multiple videos) complaining about eMotos ruining it for everybody. :banghead:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I really like Olly Wilkins.... Not enough to listen to podcast after podcast from him and that other guy though. "Olly is a "pro" rider. the other dude. not so much.
Unlike Olly I'd love a Suron... But being a moto you need access to legal moto tracks which means even more driving to ride than mtb.
Folk here riding mtb trails on motos is far from a new problem. We have wee gangs of teens from rough areas riding around in balaclavas on stolen bikes ranging from Suron's to MX/Trail bikes to fast roadbikes to shitty little C90 scooters. Most of them wouldn't even know what an mtb trail is. Land access for cycling in England (Especially where Olly hails from) is far more procarious than it is here. From what I've seen the 50/01 guys are riding them in places either no one gives a fuck about or they have premission to. Pilgs I dunno. But Olly should have definitely brought it up with him rather than slag off "pro" riders as a whole for riding them.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
What's your issue with ICE?
Nothing, but when he thinks it is OK for him to ride a MX/dirt bike in the woods, then why is an electric dirt bike not? All the arguments he brings up are precisely those that people use against ebikes. Faster than normal bikes, quieter, more damage....
Not saying it is OK to ride them in the woods, but someone like Olly has IMO no right to complain about them when he and his friends are doing the same.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Sorta depends where you saw him riding an MX bike? As in exactly what woods and when?

Emtbs aren't faster than normal bikes.. Its just easier to maintain higher speeds (up to a whopping 15mph in Surrey)

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Finally the day has come when Ridemonkey runs out of bike industry related mild inconveniences to moan about!

Mark it in your calendar guys. Next year we all get the day off!
I'm disappointed in the lack of hate for the just released Scott Lumen. I know everyone's burned out on complaining about their headset cabling but I expected that an ebike that hides its E so well would bring out some comments.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
headset cabling
The latest batch of Nukeproof MegaWatts have just gone to good ol easily removable easy peasy routed cable entry grommets in the downtube. Built one last week.
Hopefully other brands will finally start to see sense too

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Well then enlighten us.
I think that style ebike makes more sense than the heavy 150-160 travel style. As a Scott shill who doesn't mind spending a couple days on the initial build and setup I have no problem with internal/integrated everything and I think that bike looks slick. As a non-ebike owner I'd guess this, a bike light enough to feel like a normal bike but with some help up the climbs or a 200mm DH bike that can self shuttle are the most functional genres.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
However, they don’t make any sense at all when all of your riding buddies can ride for five hours, and you can only ride for 2 and a 1/2.

But yeah, in five years, those light XC mountain bikes will be indistinguishable.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The latest batch of Nukeproof MegaWatts have just gone to good ol easily removable easy peasy routed cable entry grommets in the downtube. Built one last week.
Hopefully other brands will finally start to see sense too
My Mega has an internal brake routing (not a fan, but the value on that bike was crazy). I'm actually pondering now how the 6mm Dominion lines will go with the port covers and grommets compared to the 5mm standard hoses. Fingers crossed can make it work without much fuss.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
However, they don’t make any sense at all when all of your riding buddies can ride for five hours, and you can only ride for 2 and a 1/2.

But yeah, in five years, those light XC mountain bikes will be indistinguishable.
It sounds like that motor has less drag than normal ones so combined with the weight you can leave the assist off except on climbs, so more range. I get the impression the "normal" 40+lb 150mm bikes are never turned off.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Sometime in the probably-near-future we'll get hybrid versions with regenerative braking to truly boost riding range without the "barely turning the cranks while the motor pushes you" effect that lazy people are just coasting on. They might not boost range a huge amount, but if weight is reasonable and you go and put in a few thousand of vert or more, you get some decent easing on the next climbs.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
My Mega has an internal brake routing (not a fan, but the value on that bike was crazy). I'm actually pondering now how the 6mm Dominion lines will go with the port covers and grommets compared to the 5mm standard hoses. Fingers crossed can make it work without much fuss.
2022 Carbon? (sorry, can't remember). You should be able to simply run the hose without the plastic hose port grommets. Sugru or a wrap of gaffer should be enough to stop them moving/rattling.
NP carbon frames internal routing is really well done. Straight through for all cables/hoses. no fishing.
During covid a few models were coming with Dominion A2s due to part shortages.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
2022 Carbon? (sorry, can't remember). You should be able to simply run the hose without the plastic hose port grommets. Sugru or a wrap of gaffer should be enough to stop them moving/rattling.
NP carbon frames internal routing is really well done. Straight through for all cables/hoses. no fishing.
During covid a few models were coming with Dominion A2s due to part shortages.
Yeah that's awesome to hear. Mines a 22 Carbon. When I fitted the Hopes, the internal routing was sweet. All the hoses just pushed in easy and popped out where they should.