Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
they don’t make any sense at all when all of your riding buddies can ride for five hours, and you can only ride for 2 and a 1/2.
You have to ride an Emtb pretty slowly or in a very flat area to get five hours out of a battery.
And where a super light Emtb really shines is when being used by a lighter in shape rider anyway.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. Obviously I meant 5 hours of riding... Battery tends to last forever just sitting around resting :brows:

That's good range you're getting though. what size battery was that? and I assume good/dry conditions? Muddy winter conditions will knock 1000ft off elevation range easy here.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You have to ride an Emtb pretty slowly or in a very flat area to get five hours out of a battery.
And where a super light Emtb really shines is when being used by a lighter in shape rider anyway.

My last ride I left the parking lot at the same time as a dude on an e-bike who parked next to me. He obviously went ahead of me on the climb. I passed him on the first descent, he passed me on the next climb. Basically spent the whole day leapfrogging each other. I was surprised to pass him on the flat transfer trail back to the car. After 4000+ feet of climbing His battery died. So at the end of the day we rode the same trails and pretty much finished at the same time, and I was on my small wheeled hardtail. I have no beef with him for riding an e-bike, but I did have a bit of a smug chuckle.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
E-bikes don’t magically make one have bike handling skills. It is true.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't know if he was a crappy descender, he just stopped a lot. I helped him with his fork setup which was wallowy and harsh. I suspect his hands were beat.

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
Update to broken BikeYoke:

Sacki at BikeYoke replied to my customer support form (on a Saturday). He writes English very well, and politely offered to send a replacement from extended special warranty. He appreciated there were multiple BikeYokes in the family fleet, and asked for the Serial number of the broken post.

Given that he has updated the design of the post, and stood behind his product, even though out of the regular warranty period, BikeYoke has supported me better than I would expect from a large American company. I asked if I could pay for the shipping for the replacement post, and hope that he will arrange that.

All in all, really impressive from a one man operation. Well played Germans!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
They do magically give a lot of riders more confidence... Its not really magic. Just increased stability and improved grip/suspension performance...
Much like going from an AM to DH bike did back in the day. Especially if you hadn't ever ridden a DH bike previously.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
My last ride I left the parking lot at the same time as a dude on an e-bike who parked next to me. He obviously went ahead of me on the climb. I passed him on the first descent, he passed me on the next climb. Basically spent the whole day leapfrogging each other. I was surprised to pass him on the flat transfer trail back to the car. After 4000+ feet of climbing His battery died. So at the end of the day we rode the same trails and pretty much finished at the same time, and I was on my small wheeled hardtail. I have no beef with him for riding an e-bike, but I did have a bit of a smug chuckle.
Hopefully he was making margaritas while waiting for you. Those blenders don't work by themselves!

:D

So ebikes can act like EV's right? Am I on to something here?

Charge your phone while on your bike!

Use your CPAP!

Microwave your Hot Pocket!

You get the idea

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hopefully he was making margaritas while waiting for you. Those blenders don't work by themselves!

So ebikes can act like EV's right? Am I on to something here?

Charge your phone while on your bike!

Use your CPAP!

Microwave your Hot Pocket!

You get the idea

If I was going to have a bike with a big ass battery attached to it I'd rather have something with foot and grip heating over pedal assist.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
If I was going to have a bike with a big ass battery attached to it I'd rather have something with foot and grip heating over pedal assist.
while I like the heating thing. I think I'd rather go for pedal assist and the ability to make margaritas. Why not all of the things?!

Now that it's winter, margs aren't in style.

<Big Lewbowski, The Dude voice> Caucasian Gary?

[I'm obviously taking the piss here]

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
while I like the heating thing. I think I'd rather go for pedal assist and the ability to make margaritas. Why not all of the things?!

Now that it's winter, margs aren't in style.

<Big Lewbowski, The Dude voice> Caucasian Gary?

[I'm obviously taking the piss here]

I think we can come up with some kind of container that would allow you to blend drinks in the summer with a brake rotor.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I thought it was always only open to Canada and US, but I checked last years and it was open to everyone.

I'm guessing this isn't a discrimination thing, but due to Outside having a better lawyer on hand for such things. Its pretty common for contests to be quite restrictive with who can or can't enter.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I thought it was always only open to Canada and US, but I checked last years and it was open to everyone.

I'm guessing this isn't a discrimination thing, but due to Outside having a better lawyer on hand for such things. Its pretty common for contests to be quite restrictive with who can or can't enter.
Yeah, I also guess customs import fees with some prices being over 1000 usd do get in the way when somebody from a third world country wins.

Bugger because this year would have been the first one I would have been able to pay the customs tariffs for something like a complete bike after my last promotion :rofl:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yeah, I also guess customs import fees with some prices being over 1000 usd do get in the way when somebody from a third world country wins.

Bugger because this year would have been the first one I would have been able to pay the customs tariffs for something like a complete bike after my last promotion :rofl:
I mean the rules don't say anything about using a VPN, eh?

Maybe use a VPN, enter the contest and if you win, one of us scumbags can forward you the prize. :)