Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So long as the owner doesn't expect to be able to buy a tire or tube from a normal bike shop.
There's a Rad Power Bikes store in Denver. Good enough for me.

/me is getting a RadWagon 4 once the recall business is done with, via the Denver cargo e-bike credit + returning the still-in-box-for-this-reason RadRunner Plus

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
There's a Rad Power Bikes store in Denver. Good enough for me.

/me is getting a RadWagon 4 once the recall business is done with, via the Denver cargo e-bike credit + returning the still-in-box-for-this-reason RadRunner Plus
I got it wrong earlier - I actually have the rad runner, not the rad wagon. We were between both and the whole recall thing makes getting the wagon impossible.
I love the rad runner for all my duties, it’s lighter, simpler and generally easier to look after than most of their other models and it’s not had any issues so far for general about town duties. Hauling two kids at the same time is a definite plus for the wagon, but I’ll cross that bridge some other time.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
I don't know if I can order it. I haven't stumbled upon that size while browsing QBP.
easy one: „you can order one from the place that sold you this bike in the first place, we can‘t. have a nice day“

also nice: „sorry, our mechanics are not trained on this kind of motor. please have it serviced at the place that sold you this bike. have a nice day“

problem solved.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
easy one: „you can order one from the place that sold you this bike in the first place, we can‘t. have a nice day“

also nice: „sorry, our mechanics are not trained on this kind of motor. please have it serviced at the place that sold you this bike. have a nice day“

problem solved.
Yeah, but that doesn't help the Denver area resident who's in Breckenridge for the weekend to ride the bike paths and has a flat tire. In the MTB world we rail against proprietary or odd parts that are difficult to service or replace. I'm just passing the same judgement on townie ebikes.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Repair the fucking tube
At the weight of some of these ebike wheels and tyre combos there’s absolutely nothing lost by throwing in a tube of Slime and letting the punctures take care of themselves

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
At the weight of some of these ebike wheels and tyre combos there’s absolutely nothing lost by throwing in a tube of Slime and letting the punctures take care of themselves
before mounting the tire, run a couple layers of gorilla tape of the inside of it

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Scott Maguire said:
We are transforming the company around our purpose to Pedal the Planet Forward. Our priority is to better serve riders, retailers, and communities and to be the best place for our teammates to innovate and grow.
"Disclosure: Our teammates might have to find a different company to work for" -he added.

So @Westy yeah, maybe they're sending their designers to fuck up Trek even more.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
The never ending cycle of:
Numbers are down!
Cut the budget!
Team is underperforming!
We need better facilities!
we need to fill this facility!
Wait, numbers are down!

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
But wait, theres more!

also a new innovations center in germany:

Someone

Chimp
Jan 13, 2023
UCI f*cks over EWS\EDR qualification in the Americas.

Hi George
I have some updates regarding the enduro qualifier series for the upcoming season.

With the integration of the Enduro World Series and the UCI DH / XC World Cups effective 2023 – and the introduction of the UCI Enduro World Championships in 2024, there will also be some changes to the enduro world series entry requirements and qualifier structure.

Effective 2023, only events which are registered on the UCI calendar as the official national enduro championships will have qualifier status. Qualifier points will not be available at any other national / regional enduro races.

We wish you and your ESC team continued success with the Stan’s Enduro Series and all the best for the 2023 season !

This means that the only way in 2023 and beyond to earn Ranking or Qualifying points to enter an EDR race is to race in the following events:

• An EDR race that the racer has enough 2022 EWS qualifying points to gain entry
  • An amateur race that coincides with 6 of the 7 EDR events
  • A National Championship in your country

Because there are no EDR events scheduled for North or South America in 2023, visiting Australia or Europe will be the only option to collect EDR Ranking/Qualifying points. The UCI EDR has not provided any updates regarding the number of points the national championships or amateur races will carry or the number of points needed to compete in their events.

http://www.easternstatescup.com/2023/01/13/ews-qualifier-update/

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
But wait, theres more!

What the what?!

Since I'm Colorado....ugh. GTFO Specialized. There. I said it. Name one dealer that actually likes dealing with you.

I'd rather see a Tesla dealership HA!

Or Nukeproof. That'd be cool. We don't reallly get them over here and I want to be like Sam Hill! :)

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Repair the fucking tube
In that situation if we have time
But wait, theres more!

This feels like the Will Ferrell movie Semi-Pro when a guy gets traded for a washing machine.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
In that situation if we have time
My "fix the fucking tube" comment was aimed at the actual bicycle owner. Not a bike shop. etc.
If a "customer" is struggling to find a tube for one I guarantee there will be a motorcycle tube that fits them.
At a pinch a massively overinflated BMX tube may even work.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
F*cking Manitou. Doing a bath-oil change to lighter oil for colder temps. The damper rod will not screw back into the lowers. Like every other damn fork either has the threaded damper rod protrude from the lowers OR you insert a nut into the damper rod from outside, but no, Manitou has to used some fucked-up way of doing things just to make it more difficult. The damper rod threads into the threaded lowers, but there's no force pushing it into the lowers, so it doesn't insert, it just spins. I remember doing something crazy before like putting a coat-hanger down the damper to push against the piston and push it into the lowers, but I don't want to change the damn damper oil. I think there's some kind of hack for this, but I forget what it is.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
F*cking Manitou. Doing a bath-oil change to lighter oil for colder temps. The damper rod will not screw back into the lowers. Like every other damn fork either has the threaded damper rod protrude from the lowers OR you insert a nut into the damper rod from outside, but no, Manitou has to used some fucked-up way of doing things just to make it more difficult. The damper rod threads into the threaded lowers, but there's no force pushing it into the lowers, so it doesn't insert, it just spins. I remember doing something crazy before like putting a coat-hanger down the damper to push against the piston and push it into the lowers, but I don't want to change the damn damper oil. I think there's some kind of hack for this, but I forget what it is.
Got it, depressing the air valve (which is the only way to equalize the neg and pos chambers, another infuriating "feature") to bottom it out, foot holding brake arch down while fork bottomed out and turn the damper rod. I already knew this part, but just a FYI, their damper and spring rods screw in opposite to normal, you know, for funsies.

What's also wrong is the dude in the service video that doesn't have to do this, making it seem possible to just thread it in with some pixie dust or whatever...

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
They are probably purging after Trek was able to make the Fuel EX uglier than a Stumpjumper EVO. Got to bring in fresh talent to step up the game.
saw one of those fuels the other day. almost took a picture it was so fugly. purple, too. :bad:
it really is a close call between that and specialized's asymmetrical shit.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Buy a used bike, whinge about the guy not telling you the rebound knob is missing and there is no oil in the lower because the rebound knob isn't there.......and the oil came out the gaping hole?
75000 Subscribers, Gary and I should start a YT channel whinging about random semi bike related shit.

Probably the wrong thread but there's no "Crap Videos" thread.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Buy a used bike, whinge about the guy not telling you the rebound knob is missing and there is no oil in the lower because the rebound knob isn't there.......and the oil came out the gaping hole?
75000 Subscribers, Gary and I should start a YT channel whinging about random semi bike related shit.

Probably the wrong thread but there's no "Crap Videos" thread.
The oil just falls out because there's no rebound knob? I don't know of any fork like that?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Nah bullshit, it's the gaping hole in the middle, obviously!
I did this once... Thought my fork was leaking.

Nope, I had just filled the bottom of the rod with oil when I squirted it into the lowers. It would leak past the foot nut and collect in the adjuster. What a mess that caused when riding on dusty trails...