Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
just swapped bars...had to use four different size allens. what a pita. i get that my lock on grips need to have small screws, but dropper/brakes/shifter/faceplate have three different sizes? fts.
Normally a 4mm covers most of that, maybe a 5. Was there a 3 or 6? Where?

At least they didn't throw a Torx in like some do now...

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Folk here are now moaning about having to use tools to fit bike parts?

FML
Nothing like having to carry a full set of metric allen keys, a set of torx keys, a 15mm spanner, an imperial allen key set, some multi grips, a pipe wrench and a set of security bits just in case you hit a tree and twist your bars and need to work on the bike mid-ride.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
A multi tool is besides the point. Plus when those tools get big, they start to weight a lot.

The bigger issue is why do brands not use the same fastener sizes for the same type of clamps? Shimano for example uses 4mm on some a 5mm on others. Sram uses 4mm, 5mm and some Torx for good measure. Why?

Same thing for a stem. Make all the bolts the same damn size on one stem. Don't make the face plate bolts 4mm and the steer tube ones 5mm. Blargh.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Nothing like having to carry a full set of metric allen keys, a set of torx keys, a 15mm spanner, an imperial allen key set, some multi grips, a pipe wrench and a set of security bits just in case you hit a tree and twist your bars and need to work on the bike mid-ride.
Yeah, but the pipe wrench fits ALL BB and CL standards.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
No T-15, no T-20, no chainbreaker, no wheel truing stand, no shock vacuum pump, no brake bleed kit, no headset cable routing snake. Stop being soft and carry everything you need or don't bother.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
When I got old enough to work on my bikes I started to carry a 6" version of one of these in my back pocket tied to my jeans with a piece of string. This would be about 1973. It covered everything on the bike, outside of spoke tension and chains.

1673980950750.png

Seems we have made things more complicated than they need to be.

I too would be happy with one or two allen/torx key sizes.
There is no reason this could not be done.

/coolstorybro

Just waiting for teh Fancies... :busted:

<Edit> as @Jm_ pointed out, you can do spokes, but it is a long slow tedious process when you have minimal wrench swing and a propensity to round off nipples if you do not readjust every swing of the wrench, and even then there is enough slop in the mech to round them off anyway. Usually faster to walk out.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
When I got old enough to work on my bikes I started to carry a 6" version of one of these in my back pocket tied to my jeans with a piece of string. This would be about 1975. It covered everything on the bike, outside of spoke tension and chains.

View attachment 187938

Seems we have made things more complicated than they need to be.

I too would be happy with one or two allen/torx key sizes.
There is no reason this could not be done.

/coolstorybro

Just waiting for teh Fancies... :busted:
Well technically it could handle spoke tension…

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
What bikes use imperial hex bolts? Serious question.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Pick a bolt and be a dick about it.

Axtually, you'd be doing us all a favor....

It is getting a little out of hand.

I don't mind carrying ONE multitool. But if one bike has all the torx and hex? That's just bad/over complicated design. IMHO

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Likewise Profile's chainring retaining bolt .
Not something you're ever likely to have to deal with while riding really.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Last sae/imperial size fastener I can remember on a bike was the allen head bolts on my bullseye cranks. Man, did I lovehate those cranks…
I vaguely remember having a Blackspire chainguide with a mix of metric and imperial bolts on it.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Funny, I think the ability to pare down the amount of tools I carry these days is something right with the industry.

How many of you complaining about this stuff have fitted a bunch of aftermarket parts on your rigs?

Also, if it's really an issue, how about swapping out the offending bits?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
it's funny-i rebuilt my rear wheel last week and the gorilla tape came off relatively easily; areas that didn't and left a bit of residue i figured just provided a bit more for the new tape to adhere to. tire holds air. seems good to me.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
it's funny-i rebuilt my rear wheel last week and the gorilla tape came off relatively easily; areas that didn't and left a bit of residue i figured just provided a bit more for the new tape to adhere to. tire holds air. seems good to me.
I've had some rims where the anodization was so smoothing fucking nothing would stick to it. any tape would slide into the center channel.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Come to think of it, I do remember needing an imperial sized allen key to work on some suspension stuff in the past. Damper internals and shit like that over the years. Its been awhile though.

There's still some imperial thread sizes on bikes but at this stage we're all used to those so I'd prefer they didn't change them for the sake of change at this point.