Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Come to think of it, I do remember needing an imperial sized allen key to work on some suspension stuff in the past. Damper internals and shit like that over the years. Its been awhile though.

There's still some imperial thread sizes on bikes but at this stage we're all used to those so I'd prefer they didn't change them for the sake of change at this point.
Yeah, like all Fox stuff is inexplicably ridiculous imperial sizes…the lizards even have the gall to call it “metric”.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Come to think of it, I do remember needing an imperial sized allen key to work on some suspension stuff in the past. Damper internals and shit like that over the years. Its been awhile though.
Yes! It was a low end Fox fork damper that used a small SAE allen to disuade you from opening the damper. I had to open it up while working at a shop and called Fox to figure out why my allens didn't seem to fit. They gave me "permission" and told me what it was.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
sure but they are also made of swiss cheese and get destroyed in like two rides. that's just my experience though. x01 was one of the best upgrades i've ever done.
X01 mechs are worth it just to get away from the stupid friggen retention clip that the GX mech uses to hold the main bolt in. The number of times I've seen that thing get chewed, or just pop off.... And its a right bugger to get it back on.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
X01 mechs are worth it just to get away from the stupid friggen retention clip that the GX mech uses to hold the main bolt in. The number of times I've seen that thing get chewed, or just pop off.... And its a right bugger to get it back on.
I pop that shit out on purpose, and place a shock spacer between the main bolt and the derailleur to cobble together a homemade Hall Lock. Works wonders with chain slap and a pie plate cassette.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
sure but they are also made of swiss cheese and get destroyed in like two rides.
What failed? And in what way did did it destroy itself all by it's self?

I have never run 12sp shit on any bicycle and still have no intention ever to. Can only really see that happening if I ever give in and buy a 29" bike (please just kill me first tho)
The only GX mech I've ever owned is the 11sp version for 10-42 cassettes which is still working perfectly after 6 years use.
Seen plenty others broken. But I don't think ever on a well maintained/looked after bike or without the mech showing visual damage from a hit
I'm not a fan of SRAM's stupid (poorly sealed/under filled) jockey wheel bearings. But those present the same issue to this day on XO1

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
What failed? And in what way did did it destroy itself all by it's self?

I have never run 12sp shit on any bicycle and still have no intention ever to. Can only really see that happening if I ever give in and buy a 29" bike (please just kill me first tho)
The only GX mech I've ever owned is the 11sp version for 10-42 cassettes which is still working perfectly after 6 years use.
Seen plenty others broken. But I don't think ever on a well maintained/looked after bike or without the mech showing visual damage from a hit
I'm not a fan of SRAM's stupid (poorly sealed/under filled) jockey wheel bearings. But those present the same issue to this day on XO1
interesting. starting with going through numerous b-screw issues with multiple x9s (what would be i think the final generation) on my 11sp setup a while back, (the hole it went through would ovalize and the end of the screw would slip off of its perch-solved by putting a nut on the end of the screw to gain more purchase) to switching to 12 speed and having nx/gx perenially feel loose/having play at the mounting bolt, no matter how tight, leading to shitty shifting, to having the clutch mechanism loosen really quickly and not really ever responding to tightening, to having the jockey wheels tear apart twice...zero issues since going x01. earlier x9 (or whatever the equivalent was before that) were always fine.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If your GX Eagle derailleur comes within brushing distance of some soft leaves, it'll bend. I have 3 of them in a bucket because they all bent stupid easily. And yeah they all have that incredibly loose mounting bolt - and they creak.

I since gone to a Shimano Deore derailleur, which is far from perfect, but it at least costs half as much as the GX. And doesn't seem to bend in the wind.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
If your GX Eagle derailleur comes within brushing distance of some soft leaves, it'll bend. I have 3 of them in a bucket because they all bent stupid easily. And yeah they all have that incredibly loose mounting bolt - and they creak.
The first thing my friend who owns a bike shop told me when I showed him the GX AXS minigroup was "if it bends and fails as the wired GX, they better have a ton of spares for warranty".

Luckily the GX AXS has more in common with the X01 than with GX.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Never any issue with x01s. I had heard and learned early on not to mess with gx derailleurs, shifters or cassettes. Bent an xtr more recently.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Never any issue with x01s. I had heard and learned early on not to mess with gx derailleurs, shifters or cassettes. Bent an xtr more recently.
Yeah, that's funny cuz the last XTR derailleur I had seemed to get out of alignment just by looking at it. Or maybe I don't know how to ride a bike? I did probably hit something. But still....

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
God, I have had two XTR 12 derailleurs since their introduction in ‘18, both absolutely thrashed on, hundreds and hundreds of Rocky miles, and thousands and thousands of ham-handed bad shifts, and they both shift perfectly. YMMV.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah, that's funny cuz the last XTR derailleur I had seemed to get out of alignment just by looking at it. Or maybe I don't know how to ride a bike? I did probably hit something. But still....
Current Shimano MTB cages are designed with a slight twist to them and to the untrained eye it looks bent.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
View attachment 188038
punters exclaiming a £200+ rear derailleur to be "worth it" seems a perfect example of why *what's wrong with the industry* isn't ever going to improve.
well having gone through 2 gx ones in less time than my xo1 has lasted, this "punter" will take the reliability of the x01.from what i can tell gx is a little less than half of an x01. and my x01 was under $200 freedombux when i got it.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
View attachment 188038
punters exclaiming a £200+ rear derailleur to be "worth it" seems a perfect example of why *what's wrong with the industry* isn't ever going to improve.
I must have got lucky. Got mine for maybe $50 more than a GX and it was definitely worth that coin for the durability step up.

I used to run the 11spd GX mech for ages no issues but the 12spd ones seem to die pretty easily so I'd rather the extra expense and peace of mind.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Patched my 2015 Orbea Rallon's rear triangle because Orbea didn't have any spare parts and I didn't have the money to replace the whole bike, or couldn't find an equivalent frame in the local market.

Sent the Marzocchi 350 with Espresso coating to my friend's bike store to have it serviced. He found the air piston was almost .3 millimeters wider than the air cartridge's inner bore. He got him to our local machinist and got it lathed to spec. We also threw in SKF low friction seals while we had the fork off the bike.

Today I got the first ride on the revamped bike. Well fuck my life, it was day and night. I got several personal KOMs and ended a 35km ride without wrist pain, and still with some stamina to spare.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
View attachment 188038
100% with you on that.

Tbh I never got expensive mechs for non road use. Maybe for racing when small differences matter but I used to use them when I spent 100% of my disposable income on bikes but then decided to stop spending money to leave expensive parts on trails, started buying cheaper stuff and noticed no real difference in quality since in most cases I don't focus on how nicely my shifts are going.

As long as it doesn't rattle and works why spend more? I get brakes, susp, pedals but this?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Mate. For road use a £59.99 Shimano 105 rear mechanical derailleur out performs every high end mtb derailleur available Part of the reason it has superior shifting in both speed and accuracy is because it's not trying to cover an absolutely MASSIVE cassette range.

Performance wise 12 speed has always been a downgrade no matter how you look at it.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Mate. For road use a £59.99 Shimano 105 rear mechanical derailleur out performs every high end mtb derailleur available Part of the reason it has superior shifting in both speed and accuracy is it's because it's not trying to cover an absolutely MASSIVE cassette range.

Performance wise 12 speed has always been a downgrade no matter how you look at it.
I know it. I was mostly saying I get people care about shifting speed and accuracy on road so buying higher end derailleurs there is a bit more understandable to me.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. but they clearly don't have a clue (about real life performance) either

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Nope.
You'd be hard pushed to notice ANY difference in performance between a 105, Ultegra or DA rear derailleur.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
In road derailleurs from 105-DA the differences are just weight, pulley wheel bearings, and maybe longevity of pivot tightness. Dura-ace and Ultergra shifters do feel better though, even when new.

Old 9 speed Dura-Ace was the epitome of tactile perfection, that may have been more about the shifters though.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Everyone says the x01 the first good Eagle. I’m not super impressed with it. It has held up to getting smashed in stuff way better than nx, but not as good as slx 12.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Everyone says the x01 the first good Eagle. I’m not super impressed with it. It has held up to getting smashed in stuff way better than nx, but not as good as slx 12.
I find the XO.1 Eagle much better than the GX Eagle, but the performance and feel is nowhere near the XX1 11sp from 10 years ago.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
<should be in the what's right thread>
Fairly sure the X01 11 speed rear that's currently on my fat bike is now 9 years old, it spent about 8 years on my trail bike before its current home.
</should be in the what's right thread>