Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I have a barely used 1.5" Thomson Elite X4 stem that's certainly gaining value each and every day I hold on to it. :greedy:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have a barely used 1.5" Thomson Elite X4 stem that's certainly gaining value each and every day I hold on to it. :greedy:
I'll buy it when the industry realizes 6lb suspension forks for fatbike hardtails is dumb and goes back to a head-shock system.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I keep this down in the basement. Just in case. Bontrager B1 BMX Cruiser. Heavy AF. Made in Taiwan. 180mm cranks and a vee brake. But still holds some nostalgia for me. I should probably actually ride it. My fat ass could use some BMX. But SNOOOOOOWWW.

Bontrager doesn't even make bikes anymore. Maybe that's what's wrong with the industry. C'mon Keith!

PXL_20230208_212324642.jpg

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I remember Bontrager's steel frames being quite light, fairly expensive and more than a little snap happy.
Kinda ironic coming from the guy who coined the phrase. "Strong. Light. Cheap.. Pick two"..

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I remember Bontrager's steel frames being quite light, fairly expensive and more than a little snap happy.
Kinda ironic coming from the guy who coined the phrase. "Strong. Light. Cheap.. Pick two"..
My phrase for winter driving is: Turn, brake or accelerate: Choose one.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I keep this down in the basement. Just in case. Bontrager B1 BMX Cruiser. Heavy AF. Made in Taiwan. 180mm cranks and a vee brake. But still holds some nostalgia for me. I should probably actually ride it. My fat ass could use some BMX. But SNOOOOOOWWW.

Bontrager doesn't even make bikes anymore. Maybe that's what's wrong with the industry. C'mon Keith!

View attachment 188955
Nice! I still have one of those Bontrager cruisers too.

Talking about cruisers… what happened to @Cru_Jones? I think that was his name. His Liquid cruisers were pretty sweet. I have one that I’ve been casually considering welding disc tabs on it.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Nice! I still have one of those Bontrager cruisers too.

Talking about cruisers… what happened to @Cru_Jones? I think that was his name. His Liquid cruisers were pretty sweet. I have one that I’ve been casually considering welding disc tabs on it.
Looks like the site has changed direction a little…
They were pretty sweet bikes, would be a great around town/keeping up with the kids on their striders/ pump track bike

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I wonder how long it'll be before the first battery fiasco, similar to what Apple went through with their phones.

Oh hey look a recommended new firmware update and coincidentally it also reduces the capacity and capability of the product. New bike or parts time!
That's what people will assume, but it will be because they are fatter, you know, coz they aren't doing anything.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Wanna post a small selection for those of us who CBA to sift through 200+ comments from dullard cyclists?

Not sure if I'd ever even heard of Stephan Garlicki before. So probably a good move for the dude.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Taping is fine, your tape should be a little wider than the internal width, filling/seating can be a b*tch when the tape sinks into the holes, because the tire won't seal in the channel and blow up onto the shelfs. This usually happens after your initial seating, like the next time you go to change a tire. You can put a tube in and set that side...or do the pre-seating trick with a tire lever. There's a trick with two compressor nozzles too, but now I know how to bypass that.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Ugh, what a "creative" way to drill the access holes in this asymmetric rim. Taping for tubeless == not fun.

Those aren’t the 37x18.5 rims from China? Because I literally ordered a set of those last night and I asked for ust drilling but they claimed the spoke bed was too shallow for it to be possible to build them.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Those aren’t the 37x18.5 rims from China? Because I literally ordered a set of those last night and I asked for ust drilling but they claimed the spoke bed was too shallow for it to be possible to build them.
Nobl TR33. They recommend narrow tape to cover the center channel but I can’t see how that might work. On top, it’s super hard to mount tires on that thing. Le ugh.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
That's not a huge problem. My WTB Asym i29 rims were drilled like that and I used the recommended 35mm tape. It just goes to the sidewalls of the rim and up a bit, so it easily covers the holes. That held perfectly fine for 2 tire changes and I have had no problems with leaks (using MucOff tape).

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Local lift access place released their early bird seasons pass prices - $400 (plus 13% tax). Holy frig.

Told my buddies I'm not doing it this year, that pass is too much for a hill with maybe 200' of elevation and they are constantly screwing around with the trails and making them worse.

I'll just pedal around and focus on getting in better shape this summer and save that $400.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Damn how much is it normally? The early bird highland pass was like $580 and I thought that was a great deal.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Damn how much is it normally? The early bird highland pass was like $580 and I thought that was a great deal.
I believe it was $350 last year and less than that the year before.

When this place first opened, way back when probably 2015ish or somewhere around there, the pass was $120.

The problem is, is that the "big" lift access hill stopped offering lift service and changed majority of the trails over to hiking only. That place was similar in price, perhaps a tiny bit lower for early bird, but they had triple the descent (200m vs 70m) and much more and better trails.

So now this small place has the monopoly on lift serviced trails in the Toronto area. But it sucks. They'll eventually just price themselves out of the equation. Their pass doesn't even come with any perks, unlike most other places - no discount on merchandise, food etc. And if there is a wedding on the weekend, they shut the whole thing down.

And like I said, the trail maintenance and work they do absolutely blows. There are multiple spots on the hill where they've put logs down into the dirt, creating stupid rumble strips for some strange reason. And there are trails that have literal sand traps on them, that they don't even attempt to manage in any shape for form.

Oh yeah and last year they cut the hours that they are open during the week, so now they close at 7pm. So if you get there at 6pm after work, you gotta friggin' rush just to get some laps in.

:banghead:

Anyways, not a total loss. That $400 will go a long way towards gas money driving to trails I have yet to ride, beer etc. And the trails across the street from the place are much better anyways.

end rant