Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I think we’ve covered the Appleman 2XR cranks elsewhere - but just seen that they have an option with all their length options on, which you can rent out whilst you make your decisions.

isn’t it nice when people lower the cost of entry and give the consumer options? Cheaper options abound for sure, but for a hand made in North America option? Not really.
I like them. Solid cranks and no issues so far. Not sure why not in the "what's right" thread though.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
so i was on a train to ticino, to ride steep trails, when i played around with my shimano xt brake out of boredom, when suddenly this thing exploded off the brake and and oil started to spill.

wtf is this thing, why is it constructed like that and what does it even do??

the day is ruined, thanks shimano…

2982979F-F2D9-4637-B7B1-49BB7E081A3B.jpeg

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
The brake was just protecting you from the sudden change in bite point that was coming on those steep trails.
Shimano Passenger Preservation mode.
He's right. Those things will fuck you up. For once a Shimano brake was actually looking out for its rider by breaking *before* you started riding it.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
so it's a magical self-removing do not remove plug! lucky!

also, dammit, now i want to ride steep technical trails.
there was a huge group of army people in that train. because of them i had no spot to put the bike in, which caused me to play with the brake. if not of them, i probably would have touched it only after dropping into steep ticino terrain :o

goal was https://www.trailforks.com/trails/monti-della-gana/

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I don't know which thread this belongs in: Why do people in some areas use Trailforks instead of MTB Project? They're the same, but MTB Project is free. Where I live everything is on MTB Project but when I travel I find places with nothing on MTB Project and I'm told everything is on Trailforks. Is there a different free trail map app that is popular other places?

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I don't know which thread this belongs in: Why do people in some areas use Trailforks instead of MTB Project? They're the same, but MTB Project is free. Where I live everything is on MTB Project but when I travel I find places with nothing on MTB Project and I'm told everything is on Trailforks. Is there a different free trail map app that is popular other places?
It's probably just going to be whichever one was established first in the region. I've looked at MTB Project a few times but it's just missing so much in comparison and is a little confusing at first when I start clicking trails (or routes..?).

The trail report and last ridden info stuff on trailforks is super nice. Very helpful with recon if you aren't sure of recent weather, conditions etc.

Trailforks is also still free if you use the web version. I'm sure there is a way to get around the "home" location in the app too..

I also know that there were other sites, not sure if mtb project or what, that were poaching GPS data from trailforks. I saw it first hand, as some regions that I updated way back when suddenly appeared on those other sites and shortly after trailforks restricted how many GPX files you can download as a regular user.

And at least around here there are a lot of bike clubs now using trailforks as their trail map and reporting tool - so much better than random Facebook posts. There's also one township that is using it for all their county forests and whatnot.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
i only use trailforks to find out about trails, but i build my routes in komoot

mtb project btw has nothing at all around me…

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
In some places, like this, TF has given grants for trailbuilding. In turn, most of the trails are on TF, not mtb project, even though I liked the interface of the latter better a few years ago.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Never heard of "MTB Project".
*takes a quick look*. Hmm... interface looks suspiciously like Komoot... OK... not looking great so far....
*checks out UK mtb trails*.
104 mtb trails!
lol

Just in my closest popular mtb riding area there are 300+ mtb trails (all within a 10mile radius). 260ish of them are on Trailforks/Strava

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
i prefer curated offerings over crowd sourced ones. for example

mtb project vs trailforks vs the local singletrail map offering by ride magazine, with rated singletracks by the editors and 1000s of tours in switzerland and the surrounding countries. one of the reason i subscribed to their magazine, as the maps/tour descriptions are subscriber only

2D03DAF2-1A34-47F4-AAD0-B4B094302A18.jpeg

716D9D7C-6EE6-464C-BBF5-3ECD811F6A3E.jpeg

red stuff are trails/uphill tracks

0C9C8643-51C8-4E31-A443-3733AD2265C9.jpeg

zoomed in:

55095E98-0AE2-425F-A00E-849994101BEE.jpeg

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
TBF after being a dick about it I don't actually use mapping apps/sites to find trails at all. Just talking to people IRL this aproach still works better for me. Similar to finding new romantic encounters.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Hmm... Just took a look. Browsing map areas and looking for trails is still free. I guess your subscription just opens up the option of Garmin basemap integration and global heat map to you?
Polish_20230225_215320383.png

heatmaps can fuck right off BTW

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Gotta be a mistake? If not, time to.switch to Continental or Delium.
Its not, unfortunately. Same price is on a bunch of other vendors as well.

:banghead:

I'd look at switching, but I just purchased a set of "local" tires. Need a different set in doubledown for out-of-town adventures. For consistency I want them both to be the same treads.

But yeah once these wear out, it'll be time to start looking at the other options like Continental or Specialized.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I was on the Maxxis site. And in Freedom Dollars, those tires are around $112. DD, 3C, etc.

But they do have a closeout of OEM Tires. Maybe not exactly the casing and rubber you're looking for. But $50 for an OEM Minion DHF? Hmmmm....

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Excuse me?
Retail on those DHRII DDs here is £85. (so similar) but check out the same tyre in the same compound but DH casing. It retails for £20 less here.
Been those prices for a good while now.
You can often still find Maxxis fairly heavily discounted at the usual UK online retailers. Probably some German ones too.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
ticino is awesome for that, lots of tiny old villages connected by steep rocky trails from centuries ago, sprinkled with the odd furnicular to get up.

God damnit we stayed in Ticino for a few days this summer and didn't do any riding. We did stay in a place that looked like the cabin in this thumbnail, swam in a bunch of awesome mountain streams, and drank great wine!