Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Don't think I have had a pair of gloves last more than 10-20 rides in the last 5 years without blowing out the tips of the thumbs and index finger. Pretty much where they would contact any shift/post/brake lever. The last pair was from TLD, looks like they warranty them for 3 years. If they actually stand by that they might as well send me a dozen or so at a time.

I usually end up just cutting off the ends of the thumbs and index fingers. At least that makes using a phone easy.
If it's consistently the same failure mode like that and so quickly, could the gloves just be too short for your hands?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If it's consistently the same failure mode like that and so quickly, could the gloves just be too short for your hands?
I don't think so, they are generally a few mms too long. In fact the index fingers blow out from the side, not the tip. It is always where a seam ends up being a contact point with the hook at the end of a brake lever or the upshift lever with my thumb.

PXL_20230319_174516973.jpg

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The battery in my digital shock pump appears to have gone flat.

It has 4x 1.5mm hex bolts holding on the cover. Who the hell has a 1.5mm hex tool??

If I can't wedge a torx in there it's likely not getting a new battery.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

It has 4x 1.5mm hex bolts holding on the cover. Who the hell has a 1.5mm hex tool??

My bondhus set has one. I can loan it out if you come get it. :D

But a hole that small with a hex bolt is pretty much a circle anyways, a torx should be good enough.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Anyone who had an original Marzocchi Bomber.

Just checked the batteries in my analog shock, floor and mini pumps. Still good!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Anyone who had an original Marzocchi Bomber.

Just checked the batteries in my analog shock, floor and mini pumps. Still good!
I had two different 66's, don't recall either needing a 1.5mm, but it's been a while...

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo

That's funny, that just happened to me too.

I bought some tool kit at Ace Hardware mostly for a selection of pick type things, but it had that 1.5mm torx. What a pain. I was ready to buy a new non-electronic shock pump!

It's a Torx 6, in case you really wanted to know :)

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I take that back, found a T6 torx I'd bought ages ago for a Boa laces issue (I think) and that worked fine, thanks @SylentK !
I'm all the way across town but I do have a legit 1.5 mm Allen wrench. Needed it to wrench on tiny RC car parts and it's come in handy for stupid tiny set screws a few times since then, too.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
My Wera set and my Bondhus set both go down to 1.5mm. Don't most sets? Or are you using a multitool?

I've got a crazy collection of drivers and stuff for work (electronics lately) so I probably have whatever is needed for most fiddly little jobs anyway. But 1.5mm Hex isn't even close to a rare size.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My Wera set and my Bondhus set both go down to 1.5mm. Don't most sets? Or are you using a multitool?

I've got a crazy collection of drivers and stuff for work (electronics lately) so I probably have whatever is needed for most fiddly little jobs anyway. But 1.5mm Hex isn't even close to a rare size.
are you channeling kidwoo's snowblower-shaming energy here? :D

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
are you channeling kidwoo's snowblower-shaming energy here? :D
Haha nah I didn't mean to join in the RM dick size competitions. I was just checking if I'd misread the sizing or something. My digital pump has the same bolt size as well actually, but literally every set of Allen keys I own has that size except multi-tool sets.

Actually on whats wrong with the industry - apparently Shimano road brakes don't use the same stupid bleed funnel as their MTB brakes. Because lizards.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Lot of set-screws are 1.5. Common on suspension internals, externals like damping knobs/lockout mechs, etc. I have several.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Don't have anything smaller than 2mm on any of the sets I've got, T6 didn't round anything out so it must be pretty close to the same dimensions.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Actually on whats wrong with the industry - apparently Shimano road brakes don't use the same stupid bleed funnel as their MTB brakes. Because lizards.
They do use the same funnel. it just needs an adapter.
1679364730982.png

1679364384070.png

But who *needs* disc brakes on their roadbike anyway?

Attachments

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Mine was the Fox brand shock pump. Probably made by the same company, but with different stickers :)

But it's def a torx bolt. I used to race RC cars. Ahh back in the day. Maybe I should dig out my Bondhus set. How else would you change your pinion gear to maximize your motor to battery pack to suit the track :)

Alright, now I'm gonna be labeled an RC car nerd :D

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Don't think I have had a pair of gloves last more than 10-20 rides in the last 5 years without blowing out the tips of the thumbs and index finger. Pretty much where they would contact any shift/post/brake lever. The last pair was from TLD, looks like they warranty them for 3 years. If they actually stand by that they might as well send me a dozen or so at a time.

I usually end up just cutting off the ends of the thumbs and index fingers. At least that makes using a phone easy.
Years ago I think Race Face had gloves with lamb skin on the palm side, they lasted less than ten rides.
Gloves usually last me a year or so then they get used for pulling out Lantana until they are properly dead.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Years ago I think Race Face had gloves with lamb skin on the palm side, they lasted less than ten rides.
Gloves usually last me a year or so then they get used for pulling out Lantana until they are properly dead.
My personal record was with a pair of TLD GPs from years ago, the ones with the "ribs" on top of the fingers. They lasted me ONE ride: I grabbed a log to move it off the trail and the palm got completely ripped off both gloves. Felt like I had hand chaps for the rest of the ride :D .

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I know I'm jinxing myself, but I've got a couple pairs of Leatt 1.0 Griprs (the version without padded palm), and they're holding up great despite being super thin. I blow out the stitching between the fingers on Fox, TLD, Dakine pretty quickly.

The other pair of gloves that I have that are holding up well are the Handup Pros, but they're thicker and I don't like them as much as the Leatts.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I don't think so, they are generally a few mms too long. In fact the index fingers blow out from the side, not the tip. It is always where a seam ends up being a contact point with the hook at the end of a brake lever or the upshift lever with my thumb.

View attachment 191121
That picture looks like they just came unstitched.

When I worked at Fox in Canada, there was a lot of brand new gloves that arrived like that. I'd take them when shops would send them back under warranty, sew em up and have basically free gloves.

I like my Hand Up gloves, they aren't the cheapest but they done well for me. Girlfriend even order a a few pairs for Christmas one year...in the wrong size. She asked them if they could be sent back and exchanged, but they just send out a whole new order free of charge and said keep the others. Gave those ones away to my buddies kids. So that said, if they do have issues I'm sure they'll replace them.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Mine was the Fox brand shock pump. Probably made by the same company, but with different stickers :)

But it's def a torx bolt. I used to race RC cars. Ahh back in the day. Maybe I should dig out my Bondhus set. How else would you change your pinion gear to maximize your motor to battery pack to suit the track :)

Alright, now I'm gonna be labeled an RC car nerd :D
Team Associated or Team Losi?