Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Surron's are motorcycles. And motorcycles offer way better value than any similarly priced bicycle. Are you new to cycling?
Speaking for motorcyclists, I resent that statement and propose that sur rons along with standard e bikes are classified as e mopeds

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I honestly couldn't give a fuck what the 3 or 4 "motorcyclists" you're spokesperson for call electric motorcycles.
If it's a sad attempt to remain feeling superior you need to get over yourselves.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I honestly couldn't give a fuck what the 3 or 4 "motorcyclists" you're spokesperson for call electric motorcycles.
If it's a sad attempt to remain feeling superior you need to get over yourselves.
It's simple, pedals and motor = moped.
Sur rons have optional pedal kits and use mountain bike components also a moped.

further defining it Mopeds can be ridden around on the streets without a licence or registration in the USA. Not the case for motorcycles.

E motorcycle would be an alta or varg. Which would not pass for a moped, and could not be ridden around on the streets without licence and registration.

Doesn't have anything to do with feelings.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
FREEDOM in a country which doesn't seem to own a single globe doesn't really sound all that FREE

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
yeah. keep telling yourself that
Sounds like you have an issue with mopeds, I never said anything negative about them.

A moped (/ˈmoʊpɛd/ MOH-ped) is a type of small motorcycle, generally having a less stringent licensing requirement than full motorcycles or automobiles. The term used to mean a similar vehicle except with both bicycle pedals and a motorcycle engine. Mopeds typically travel only a bit faster than bicycles on public roads. Mopeds are distinguished from motor scooters in that the latter tend to be more powerful and subject to more regulation.[1]

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I haven't seen any technology yet that even slightltempts me to step away from running HTII cranks on my bikes. I have run XTs on enduro and trail bikes for the past 10 years without issue and I regularly smack them on rocks and stuff. Plus my ability to clear jumps fully has been described as "needs encouragement" and my landing style described as "baby elephant".

They're not even expensive, nor is there a weight penalty worth worrying about. They just fucken work. You can buy a like 20 HTII BBs for the price of some of the competitions offerings as well and you get years out of them.

It really is hard to have sympathy for people who "upgrade" from HTii offerings and then break cranks or have issues.
But, but, but... It's not carbon. WE NEED CRABON!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ok, I am never ever buying Schwalbe tires again as long as I live. Nothing will make up for that experience I just had. (would have said "mounting experience", but that would have just ended up in the no-context thread)

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Ok, I am never ever buying Schwalbe tires again as long as I live. Nothing will make up for that experience I just had. (would have said "mounting experience", but that would have just ended up in the no-context thread)
What rim were you trying to mount? :D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Although it's an asym rim, the schwalbe XC race tires are a fairly stiff casing and have a strange bead pattern that is kind of corrugated/zig-zag and it lets out air because despite being so damn tight and stiff to get on/over the rim edge, it doesn't seal against the rim ledges. We had this problem with another rim too and the same tires, so not just limited to this one. One method involved an air compressor and second helper-nozzle inserted under the bead, but fuck that's just way too much and I just have one inflator for my electric compressor. I've done about a dozen other tire swaps during the winter, mostly fat but a few smaller ones, hell just did some 3.5s a few days before...but every single one of those was like stealing candy from a baby, just easy and smooth. It's like that zig-zag bead and the stiff casing on the schwalbe just can't seal up, not pliable enough or something or the edges of the bead aren't thick enough soft rubber to do so. Anyway it's wacky and nothing they can do now will ever make up for those couple hours I just lost.

I think last year I just left these mounted and deflated (when not in use and my training/trail wheelset was installed).

The thing is too, after my race on Saturday, I'll take these tires off and install the trail tires I'm bringing in my luggage. Those are Bontrager tires and they go on like a glove, easy and I can mount them with a hand-pump (and pre-setting the bead partially with a tire lever).

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Although it's an asym rim, the schwalbe XC race tires are a fairly stiff casing and have a strange bead pattern that is kind of corrugated/zig-zag and it lets out air because despite being so damn tight and stiff to get on/over the rim edge, it doesn't seal against the rim ledges. We had this problem with another rim too and the same tires, so not just limited to this one. One method involved an air compressor and second helper-nozzle inserted under the bead, but fuck that's just way too much and I just have one inflator for my electric compressor. I've done about a dozen other tire swaps during the winter, mostly fat but a few smaller ones, hell just did some 3.5s a few days before...but every single one of those was like stealing candy from a baby, just easy and smooth. It's like that zig-zag bead and the stiff casing on the schwalbe just can't seal up, not pliable enough or something or the edges of the bead aren't thick enough soft rubber to do so. Anyway it's wacky and nothing they can do now will ever make up for those couple hours I just lost.

I think last year I just left these mounted and deflated (when not in use and my training/trail wheelset was installed).

The thing is too, after my race on Saturday, I'll take these tires off and install the trail tires I'm bringing in my luggage. Those are Bontrager tires and they go on like a glove, easy and I can mount them with a hand-pump (and pre-setting the bead partially with a tire lever).
You still didn't tell which rim it was. Buddy also hat The Struggles and gifted me his unridden purple SG MM I installed within minutes on a DT EX471.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I haven't tried one of them but an Enduro cased Kryptotal and CushCore wasn't an issue.

I am also a Schwalbe one and done guy, but mine shot off the rims at 30Psi. It was a long time ago but I like to hold grudges.
Thanks for the memory reboot. :twitch:

I remember watching in slow motion as my front tire - a Muddy Mary, rolled off the rim in a berm, tube came out, wrapped around the fork arch and I went out the front door in an attempted moon shot. Weird how time slows down when you are about to die.

Only tire I have rolled completely off the rim from cornering forces. I have used up a few Schwalbe since then, so apparently I did not learn anything.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Sram comes out with these updated brakes, which "help to make the cable routing tidier". But now the cables will rub and wear on your bars.

Great job there guys, thanks.
1682706313052.png

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
SRAM can keep them. Magura came out with some clever hose adapters (40 degrees, 90 degrees) like this one :
2700712_(2).png

No need to manufacture another new lever and be stuck with the too-inwards angle.