Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
So my buddy has a large crack in his Banshee Spitfire, the old "v2" model and is looking at crash replacement cost. Which is awesome, don't get me wrong. They are giving him a deal, even with his frame being outside of the factory warranty period.

Though they are still negotiating what that cost his and he asked me "so how much of a discount from the $4000 frame cost do you think they're going to give?"

I had to do a double take and check the cost.....he's right, the banshee v3 frames are now listed as $4000 Canadian, with a shock. Holy shit.

:panic:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
So my buddy has a large crack in his Banshee Spitfire, the old "v2" model and is looking at crash replacement cost. Which is awesome, don't get me wrong. They are giving him a deal, even with his frame being outside of the factory warranty period.

Though they are still negotiating what that cost his and he asked me "so how much of a discount from the $4000 frame cost do you think they're going to give?"

I had to do a double take and check the cost.....he's right, the banshee v3 frames are now listed as $4000 Canadian, with a shock. Holy shit.

:panic:
What's that in freedum tokens?

Banshee used to be well priced.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
What's that in freedum tokens?

Banshee used to be well priced.
$2800 freedoms with a Fox Float X (based on their others frames, probably a "custom" tuned Performance shock).

If I convert that straight up to Canadian maple units, it oddly comes to only $3800.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
$2800 freedoms with a Fox Float X (based on their others frames, probably a "custom" tuned Performance shock).

If I convert that straight up to Canadian maple units, it oddly comes to only $3800.
So $2800 looks to be the going rate with a Float X Performance Elite.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Well...This is the last company I'd expect to do this...Here Bud Light, hold your beer.

Possible NSWF disclosure here.

https://rumble.com/v2prvnj-may-24-2023.html

This may be better in the political forum. But really? Ugh. You're making a marketing campaign to like .02% of the population? Smart or Dumb as a fox?

Tell me if I'm missing something...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Please file under 'IDGAF'.
Unless some hypocrites get their panties in a bunch about it.
They say that in general, 10% of the global population is gay, or somewhere on the LGBTQ spectrum.
That's almost a BILLION people.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Well, how many of those people are "outdoorsy"? Or ride a mountain bike?

You know, actually buy North Face gear?

From a financial perspective, and if it was my company, I could not justify that. It would be like doing marketing to French Bulldog owners. Very niche. Are you going to see your ROI on that?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California

From a financial perspective, and if it was my company, I could not justify that. It would be like doing marketing to French Bulldog owners. Very niche. Are you going to see your ROI on that?
A whole hell of a lot more than you think

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009

North Face sells more bags and apparel to high school and college age kids than it sells to actual “outdoors people”. And that audience cares about little things like supporting marginalised communities.

You can care about profits, you can care about community, you can do both; but someone is always going to feel like the company no longer supports them.

I think north face (and bud light) are doing the right thing. If an audience really has trouble with the gay or trans community, it’s not an audience worth having.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Well, last I heard, Bud Light is going to try to rebrand Bud Light with more manly-man stuff, like Camo.
NTTIAWWT, if you follow.
They’ve already had a push to show some of their ads with good ol boys driving their trucks and tending their horses, drinking a crisp refreshing, and certainly not gay at all beer.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
They’ve already had a push to show some of their ads with good ol boys driving their trucks and tending their horses, drinking a crisp refreshing, and certainly not gay at all beer.
Nothing more manly than a cowboy. All those long hours in the saddle, with that rythmic trusting from beneath you, firmly gripping the stiff pommel between your legs. Days away from civilization and the judging eyes of women, nothing but you, the rippling muscles of the beast beneath and likeminded soulmates on the trail.

1684987210323.png

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Mmmmm...Maggie Gyllenhaal's brother! :D

I hear you guys. Good points. Thanks for the feedback. I just don't see the numbers making sense. I'm not anti-anyone. I'm more of a pro-business/financial sense kind of guy. And being an analyst of economic/political/social things is interesting to me. This has me scratching my head.

And the Bud Light thing is not making anything looking good. Maybe it's more of a US/North American thing? Budwieser is AB InBev, right? Which is Euro owned? I have a huge Budweiser plant like 20 min away from me. So I try to keep tabs on stuff, but there's only so much time in the day. And I also have like a gazzilion other micro breweries around me too. Colorado sucks! :)

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Mmmmm...Maggie Gyllenhaal's brother! :D

I hear you guys. Good points. Thanks for the feedback. I just don't see the numbers making sense. I'm not anti-anyone. I'm more of a pro-business/financial sense kind of guy. And being an analyst of economic/political/social things is interesting to me. This has me scratching my head.

And the Bud Light thing is not making anything looking good. Maybe it's more of a US/North American thing? Budwieser is AB InBev, right? Which is Euro owned? I have a huge Budweiser plant like 20 min away from me. So I try to keep tabs on stuff, but there's only so much time in the day. And I also have like a gazzilion other micro breweries around me too. Colorado sucks! :)
the reality is that InBev controls so much of the alcohol sold that even when drinkers boycott bud light, they’re probably still drinking an InBev beer.

unless you go to a super small, local distribution only brewery your money is going to one of about 3 companies.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Tell me if I'm missing something...
You're missing that you don't need to be part of that group to think they're deserving of representation and dignity. The whole damn world is built for straight cis white guys (myself included). I don't need everything to speak to and be catered to me, personally. If people from basically any other group were as actively put off by seeing an ad that featured anyone who doesn't look like them as white dudes they'd be boycotting every company on the planet.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
thank goodness there are dozens of them within a ten mile radius of me
:D
but, per other threads, definitely don't come here. it's LE WORST.
I’m happy you’ve got choice, the average drinker pulling down a rack of bud light at their local bottle store probably isn’t going to switch it up with a local craft ale called Poseidons Salty Shaft or a triple hopped imperial stout. Their loss.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Being openly gay was always Punk As Fuck. Especially in the 20’s-80’s. Then it seemed no one cared, and we had Will And Grace and such.
But again it is becoming Punk As Fuck to just be who you feel like you are. Even if it is a phase, whatever.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
A straight white guy (or any male human) calling himself CIS isn't upholding dignity. He's pandering to nonsense. And infact by doing so he's showing very little respect to Women and women's rights.

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
You got me curious about the specific numbers. Obviously all you can go on is poll data which has lots of room for errors, but here's some food for thought -

% of US population that identifies as LGBTQ - it varies by generation, 20.8% for Gen Z, .8% for Traditionalists (born before '46) and 7.1% overall. My hypothesis is that the variation is due to changes in social norms per generation. https://news.gallup.com/poll/389792/lgbt-identification-ticks-up.aspx

Here's a bunch of poll results relating to LGBTQ rights; 71% of the US population support gay marriage - https://news.gallup.com/poll/1651/gay-lesbian-rights.aspx

In this case I'd say Northface is doing this with a very good idea of potential impact to revenue.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well, last I heard, Bud Light is going to try to rebrand Bud Light with more manly-man stuff, like Camo.
NTTIAWWT, if you follow.
they're working on miniaturizing truck nuts to put on their cans so the people that drink it won't get their feelings hurt, and it will help them remember they are manly men. that drink shit beer out of a can with testicles.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
You got me curious about the specific numbers. Obviously all you can go on is poll data which has lots of room for errors, but here's some food for thought -

% of US population that identifies as LGBTQ, it varies by generation, 20.8% for Gen Z, .8% for Traditionalists (born before '46) and 7.1% overall. My hypothesis is that the variation is due to changes in social norms per generation. https://news.gallup.com/poll/389792/lgbt-identification-ticks-up.aspx

Here's a bunch of poll results relating to LGBTQ rights. 71% of the US population support gay marriage. https://news.gallup.com/poll/1651/gay-lesbian-rights.aspx

In this case I'd say Northface is doing this with a very good idea of potential impact to revenue.
Big corp going pinkwashing close to Pride parade. Nothing new, it's been happening for ~10 years, most of the LGBTQ community denounces these practices.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
most of the LGBTQ community denounces these practices.
I watched that and first thing I thought was that the LGBTQ community might actually take offense to that. I mean The North Face appears to be supportive, but it seems like the real point of that ad is to make fun of the LGBTQ community by highlighting outrageous stereotypes.

Is that ad even real?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I watched that and first thing I thought was that the LGBTQ community might actually take offense to that. I mean The North Face appears to be supportive, but it seems like the real point of that ad is to make fun of the LGBTQ community by highlighting outrageous stereotypes.

Is that ad even real?
I wondered if it was real from the start, “Hello, I’m Pattie Gonia…”

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
It's real. The same ad as well as others promoting the "Summer of Pride" is on the NF Instagram account.

Seems fine/fun to me. They didn't create "Pattie Gonia" for this ad campaign, they teamed up with someone who was already known as a drag queen/environmentalist who is working for diversity in outdoor activities.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
It's real. The same ad as well as others promoting the "Summer of Pride" is on the NF Instagram account.

Seems fine/fun to me. They didn't create "Pattie Gonia" for this ad campaign, they teamed up with someone who was already known as a drag queen/environmentalist who is working for diversity in outdoor activities.
I asked a family member who's part of the LGBTQ community their thoughts on the ad. She thought it was funny, not offended at all, and now she's actually more inclined to purchase North Face gear because the company is inclusive.

Complete opposite of what I thought the reaction would be. Shows how much I know.