Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
First off, biopace and modern ovals are rotated 90*. Biopace wanted to make force output consistent through the entire pedal circle, making it harder at the top and bottom. Ovals try and make it easier at the top of the stroke, where you can't make power. Honestly I don't know which would feel worse if you were on a totally smooth and consistent surface.

What I thought the new MTB ones do is to reduce required power at the top and bottom of the stroke so that your cadence is consistent throughout 180 degrees and on real steep climbs, when you can't get that last 5* of rotation because there's a root or whatever bullshit, you drop the ring from 32 to 28t and it makes it easier to kick over. Then you're back to 32t for where you are able to put down the most power. So torque is applied consistently at the back wheel and there's a reduced potential to slip. I put one on back in 2015 and don't notice it anymore. I don't think it makes a huge difference, but I'm also not going out to buy another round ring. I do think it makes steep, 5-20ft technical climbs easier.

I run round rings on my road bikes because it's not impossible to spin smoothly. I wonder if switching to shorter cranks, where your hip angle isn't as large, reduces the benefit of ovals.
I run oval chainring on my SS mtb. I've never dropped a chain and the loose side doesn't make contact with my chainstays. It's a bit of a dance to get the tension right- just make sure you set it with the chainring in the peak of the rotation.

I've found that the oval smooths out the stand and mash big time! It's way easier on the knees and my rear tire doesn't spin out in the peak of the pedal mash. The power application is way smoother!

I run a 38t oval on my gravel bike also. I'm a fan of that as well. The benefits of oval really show themselves on the single speed though.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
That's the way I feel seeing ads these days splashed all over the internet for 30-50% off high end bike parts and completes. That's employee purchase levels of discount and I work for really low pay to get them. Dentists are supposed to pay retail.
Has me questioning if I should start training for a new trade, but the bong's already in my hand, the double I started building yesterday needs a landing, and this could be the last day over °60 until March.
It's so bad these days I am looking at trading antiquities for a new bicycle frame. Lets catch the next steam ship to Africa! We'll get that new bike as long as the lions and anaconda's don't get us first. We might need a shovel and a bong on the hunt. Better bring them along.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
actually she was a dominant dh racer in the southeast for a long time and a mentor to a lot of junior women riders and her hubby calls many of the dhse races and is a huge regional cycling advocate.
Shame no one outside of wherever that is had ever heard of her through her bike racing achievements. luckily we have now she's apparently "exploring" motherhood.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I don't know much about the exts but if this is the current layout, I don't see anything that would indicate anything position dependent damping, just that secondary piston on the shock shaft that only comes into play at bottom out

That's a pretty friggin weird design. Guess that's more sophisticated than a conical bumper, LOL

Their moto line looks sick

View attachment 202943
It's so bad these days I am looking at trading antiquities for a new bicycle frame. Lets catch the next steam ship to Africa! We'll get that new bike as long as the lions and anaconda's don't get us first. We might need a shovel and a bong on the hunt. Better bring them along.
So uhhh....road trip then?

:D

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Shame no one outside of wherever that is had ever heard of her through her bike racing achievements. luckily we have now she's apparently "exploring" motherhood.
Have you ever considered that maybe you’re not the target audience?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
As a lifelong cyclist and father of three females with a female partner who all ride bikes bought by me. I very much could be considered a "target" for the largest cycling company in the world Giant's "Liv female cycling" marketing machine.

Of a total of 9 purchased over the years. We currently have 4 Giants in the household.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
As a lifelong cyclist and father of three females with a female partner who all ride bikes bought by me. I very much could be considered a "target" for the largest cycling company in the world Giant's "Liv female cycling" marketing machine.

Of a total of 9 purchased over the years. We currently have 4 Giants in the household.

have you asked to speak with a manager?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Why do you seem so bothered about something that is so easily just scrolled across
You are aware of the irony of posting this very helpful advice in a 6year long 290 page thread for moaning about things mainly read about or watched online?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
CEO or GTFO

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Most efficient. Be a darling and chap his door for me. Thanks.
Nah. Like most normal people I'm not offended by a personal interest story that involves a woman I've never heard of. And ignoring pinkbike is the easiest thing on the planet.

there are plenty of good reasons to hate pinkbike and outside magazine but that's definitely not one of them

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Pinkbike- 10.5lbs, very high pivot, 160mm
Really heavy, shitty pedaling enduro frames, especially with less than 180mm travel. For the super long travel ones, I get it. You want a DH, but can only have one bike so it must be technically capable of trail rides. It's not as good as a DH bike and worse than a reasonable Enduro or AM bike for nearly all trail rides, but money talks. For the 160mm high pivot bikes it makes no sense at all. When you've compromised handling and efficiency that much for plushness, why skimp on the travel? Conversely, if you're trying to make a bike that's as plush and confidence inspiring as possible on the downhills, but still somewhat nimble and fun on flats (the reason you make a mid-travel bike) wouldn't you want to keep weight, drag, and pedal mush to a minimum? I struggle to imagine a rider who wouldn't do better on something different than a heavy, mid-travel, high pivot.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Really heavy, shitty pedaling enduro frames, especially with less than 180mm travel. For the super long travel ones, I get it. You want a DH, but can only have one bike so it must be technically capable of trail rides. It's not as good as a DH bike and worse than a reasonable Enduro or AM bike for nearly all trail rides, but money talks. For the 160mm high pivot bikes it makes no sense at all. When you've compromised handling and efficiency that much for plushness, why skimp on the travel? Conversely, if you're trying to make a bike that's as plush and confidence inspiring as possible on the downhills, but still somewhat nimble and fun on flats (the reason you make a mid-travel bike) wouldn't you want to keep weight, drag, and pedal mush to a minimum? I struggle to imagine a rider who wouldn't do better on something different than a heavy, mid-travel, high pivot.
but it has rising pivot technology

:rofl:

leveragecomedy.JPG

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Nah. Like most normal people I'm not offended by a personal interest story that involves a woman I've never heard of. And ignoring pinkbike is the easiest thing on the planet.

there are plenty of good reasons to hate pinkbike and outside magazine but that's definitely not one of them
Seems to just be you mentioning anything about "hate" and there's clearly nothing to be offended by there.
Not sure how the fuck you jumped to those conclusions from me comparing an article and it's title to Daily Mash style satire.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Seems to just be you mentioning anything about "hate" and there's clearly nothing to be offended by there.
Not sure how the fuck you jumped to those conclusions from me comparing an article and it's title to Daily Mash style satire.
I hate pinkbike

busted

.................:rofl:
..............:rofl::rofl:
..............:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:.................:rofl::rofl:
........:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:..........:rofl::rofl:
........:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:..:rofl::rofl::rofl:
......:rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
........:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
........:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
.........:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Caroline and Will and Chuppy and Shyla are well known by literally anyone who has raced downhill in America in the last 10 years.
An angry scotsman and a moto burnout aren’t the target demographic, apparently.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
As a lifelong cyclist and father of three females with a female partner who all ride bikes bought by me. I very much could be considered a "target" for the largest cycling company in the world Giant's "
I love that you have this connection to the article and still think it’s not worthy of posting, for free, on a site where every other “story“ is either a bike review (I imagine you don’t trust the PB reviewers), a video recap of an event (that you probably didn’t attend) or a soft launch of a new technology (you won’t trust until it’s been on the market for 4 years).

pregnancy is and giving birth is one of the most violent experiences that can happen to a woman’s body, and for athletes it has huge psychological and physical impact. And you’re treating it like “woman gets splinter”.

even if you don’t want to read it, can you not see that it’s a good article to have in a male dominated sport? Is your issue the article title? Because spelling it out is miles better than “woman experiences shock that’s changes biking forever”

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Has anyone had time on one of these high pivot thingys? I'd like to hear feedback from umm...not Pinkbike?

To your point, I just don't get it for anything other than DH.

Is this tech so awesome that a mid travel bike can benefit? Hmmm....Doubt it? "Put your comments down below" HA :)

I'm gonna lay out the Chewbacca defense theory here. "It doesn't make sense."

:D

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
And ignoring pinkbike is the easiest thing on the planet.

In case you have self-doubts after posting this rather strong statement, I'd like to invite you to watch the first 3 minutes of this video. You should get a solid 15-20 years of ignoring Pinkbike after watching that.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
In case you have self-doubts after posting this rather strong statement, I'd like to invite you to watch the first 3 minutes of this video. You should get a solid 15-20 years of ignoring Pinkbike after watching that.

One thing that bothers me about string wheels is wear and tear. If you secure one end with a loop over a hook, then continually highly tension and de-tension that spoke by riding, jumping, dropping....will that not create a shear zone in the loop that will eventually fray away to broken spoke?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

oh cool, spinergy wheels again! It's been long enough, no millennial will remember

Remember kids, dish wheels provide directional stability!

My new brand agoit builds the most advanced wheel fairings in the industry!

agoit.jpg

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Has anyone had time on one of these high pivot thingys? I'd like to hear feedback from umm...not Pinkbike?

To your point, I just don't get it for anything other than DH.

Is this tech so awesome that a mid travel bike can benefit? Hmmm....Doubt it? "Put your comments down below" HA :)

I'm gonna lay out the Chewbacca defense theory here. "It doesn't make sense."
I have 140mm/160mm and 190mm mid-high pivot bikes. 140mm might be my favorite as it makes for a rear end that's poppy and supportive but gets hung up less in rock gardens than a lower pivot bike with similar travel and feel.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I have 140mm/160mm and 190mm mid-high pivot bikes. 140mm might be my favorite as it makes for a rear end that's poppy and supportive but gets hung up less in rock gardens than a lower pivot bike with similar travel and feel.
What bike is that?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
oh cool, spinergy wheels again! It's been long enough, no millennial will remember

Remember kids, dish wheels provide directional stability!

My new brand agoit builds the most advanced wheel fairings in the industry!

View attachment 204080
:rofl:

What is the model name? Evird Ksid? Google doesn't come up with any results. :confused:
Also available in 26" or just 27.5 and 29?
:D ;)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
$560 fart bag

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
$560 fart bag

lol@ "breathable"