Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Practice this phrase:

"BOOOOOO E-BIKES"

Now when you see @Toshi just yell that at him and shake your head. In his heart of hearts he will know that he's not even mountain biking any more. He may attempt to muster up some response but you both know the truth.
My eBike riding friend (really stoked on his LEVO) once said to me: "You don't need friends when you ride an eBike".

From what I gather here, Gary somewhat seems to agree with him. It'll be interesting to hear what Toshi has to say about that...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
@Toshi is demoing one, but I fear it's a foregone conclusion at this point.
Why should it be any other way than with 29ers and 27.5ers? First everybody here thinks they are the end of the world, then the first folks break down and try them, then more and more ride them and suddenly it is acceptable to post pictures of your "new whip" although it has the wrong wheel size or a motor. The lizards already have gotten most of you more than once.
559-4-life!

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Why should it be any other way than with 29ers and 27.5ers? First everybody here thinks they are the end of the world, then the first folks break down and try them, then more and more ride them and suddenly it is acceptable to post pictures of your "new whip" although it has the wrong wheel size or a motor. The lizards already have gotten most of you more than once.
559-4-life!
The motor kinda sorta makes a little bigger difference than rim size.
thatswhatshesaid anyway

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
It's literally a different sport not a different wheel size.

If your friends were going for a trail run and you showed up on your bike they'd tell you to fuck off. So that's what should happen if they are going for a bike ride and you show up on a motor bike.

If you're in an OHV area and everyone is on various motor vehicles then fine. But if you're at the trail head and you look around and you're the only one with a motor then you probably fucked up and you need to reconsider your life choices and wonder what makes you think you should have a motor to help your lazy ass while all the other trail users are getting to their destinations under their own power.

You won't have friends when you ride an eBike
Fify

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
It's literally a different sport not a different wheel size.

If your friends were going for a trail run and you showed up on your bike they'd tell you to fuck off. So that's what should happen if they are going for a bike ride and you show up on a motor bike.

If you're in an OHV area and everyone is on various motor vehicles then fine. But if you're at the trail head and you look around and you're the only one with a motor then you probably fucked up and you need to reconsider your life choices and wonder what makes you think you should have a motor to help your lazy ass while all the other trail users are getting to their destinations under their own power.

Fify
it's ok. Rainman

It's ok...

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
559-4-life!
I still think 29ers are the end of the world but since they're allowed in racing and faster I got one to keep up with the competition. It's crazy fast but I'm not sure I like just ignoring rocks and plowing over everything. It's not as challenging or rewarding. They should have been banned from racing long ago. Too late now. At least I don't expect to ever have to line up against e-bikes.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
At least I don't expect to ever have to line up against e-bikes.
Did a marathon XC event last year (96km, 60 miles) and unknown to us at the start there were e-bikes mixed into the field. Apparently ineligible for prizes, but just along for the ride (like most of the riders really). It was pretty f*cked though when you're blowing up trying to catch the big guy up the hill and when you finally do, he's on a bloody motorbike. Not only that, but you'd get stuck behind them on descents, finally get a pass and then they'd shoot past you on the next uphill.

Not sure if they will be allowed this year, as plenty of riders were very vocal in their feedback on how stupid it is to mix them in with regular bikes.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Did a marathon XC event last year (96km, 60 miles) and unknown to us at the start there were e-bikes mixed into the field. Apparently ineligible for prizes, but just along for the ride (like most of the riders really). It was pretty f*cked though when you're blowing up trying to catch the big guy up the hill and when you finally do, he's on a bloody motorbike. Not only that, but you'd get stuck behind them on descents, finally get a pass and then they'd shoot past you on the next uphill.

Not sure if they will be allowed this year, as plenty of riders were very vocal in their feedback on how stupid it is to mix them in with regular bikes.
That sounds completely moronic.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Yeah, I don't have the ebike hate that so many users here have, but that's one of the dumbest fucking things I've ever heard a race do.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

add a tazer to your toolkit

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
a lot of us who have been riding 15 years or more got started in mtb riding XC.
I started riding with my Dad's 80s too large road bike, than at the age of 15 bought the 1st hardtail myself. The shift to gravity and most of all jumping came with a Schwinn Automatic. Riding some jumps I got to know a certain lady who convinced me to take part at my first DH race 2001.

Now after having stopped racing for ~8 years I'm at least back on 20". I just bought the most beautiful bike I ever owned.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
add a tazer to your toolkit
Valid. I like the EMP suggestion better. Personally I think the race organisers should permit the e-bikes but ban/remove the batteries.

I did an awful lot of XC racing back in the day. Live and learn. :)
a lot of us who have been riding 15 years or more got started in mtb riding XC.
Started out racing DH initially back in like '96. Once I got to my early 30s DH shuttles weren't sufficient exercise to combat the beer-induced middle body spread so I got into XC and trail. No matter what anybody else tries to tell me I'm convinced XC racing is purely about being able to out-suffer the other riders. It's just painful no matter how you look at it. Horrible stuff.