Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
exactly the same BB as mtb press fit. Just has a 10mm longer centre sleeve.
Commencal still use press fit in this year's Supreme... Annoying cunts left the BB shell open so it HAS to be run with the centre sleeve. And don't get me started on their ridiculous cable/hose routing with 3 tight bends running around the BB, shock linkage and main pivot before entering the seatstays amazingly completely ignoring the fact the frames have a clean dead straight run from head tube and inside or under the top tube to the seatstays.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
exactly the same BB as mtb press fit. Just has a 10mm longer centre sleeve.
Commencal still use press fit in this year's Supreme... Annoying cunts left the BB shell open so it HAS to be run with the centre sleeve. And don't get me started on their ridiculous cable/hose routing with 3 tight bends running around the BB, shock linkage and main pivot before entering the seatstays amazingly completely ignoring the fact the frames have a clean dead straight run from head tube and inside or under the top tube to the seatstays.
Commencal seem to have an arrogance about them since their winning run a few years ago.
They national setup was around the corner from me. Stopped doing me deals as they favoured Covid bikers. Got my deals else were and am happy that way. Never had a GT bike, even though ive lusted as a young teen for them since BMX days, then the Lobo DH bikes. Feels nice to satisfy the years old want for one. Especially when they are building sharp bikes again.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Been running a Camelbak Chase vest for trail rides (one bottle not really enough in our summers) and love the pockets on the front straps for phone access and snacks etc. Why they hell don't they (or someone else) do those on the bigger packs? (also why aren't the zips more corrosion resistant)

Trying to find a big backcountry pack for race marshalling days with 3L bladder, loads of storage for spares, bunting, timing gear, snacks and jacket etc with a phone pocket and loop for attaching a walkie talkie and not having much luck. Be awesome if the MULE pack had the vest front pockets and features.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Been running a Camelbak Chase vest for trail rides (one bottle not really enough in our summers) and love the pockets on the front straps for phone access and snacks etc. Why they hell don't they (or someone else) do those on the bigger packs? (also why aren't the zips more corrosion resistant)

Trying to find a big backcountry pack for race marshalling days with 3L bladder, loads of storage for spares, bunting, timing gear, snacks and jacket etc with a phone pocket and loop for attaching a walkie talkie and not having much luck. Be awesome if the MULE pack had the vest front pockets and features.
Check out the Shimano Unzen line, and also the USWE packs. Oh, and a friend swears by his Evoc FR16 backpack.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Those USWE packs have always been interesting to me, and I recently heard some solid reviews from riders who pedal a lot further than I do. The pocketed lightweight camelbaks have totally taken over trail running. Both styles are way more interesting to me than an old school 5lb HAWG or whatever. My current gear is 1 bottle on bike, 1 in hip pack if needed, and a water filter in the hip pack too.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Those USWE packs have always been interesting to me, and I recently heard some solid reviews from riders who pedal a lot further than I do. The pocketed lightweight camelbaks have totally taken over trail running. Both styles are way more interesting to me than an old school 5lb HAWG or whatever. My current gear is 1 bottle on bike, 1 in hip pack if needed, and a water filter in the hip pack too.
Yeah I use the Chase vest thingy for trail riding and local enduros. Sometimes with a bottle as well. It gets bloody warm here. I really like having the phone accessible in the front pocket too. Its less likely to get damaged there than in my pocket and still quickly accessible if needed.

I see the new Camelbak Mule EVO looks to have the same front on it as the Chase vest, that might be an option. Or just getting one of the USWE phone pockets and trying to figure out how to get it to work with my current MULE. Those USWE packs look secure as all hell hey. Wonder how much cargo I can mash in one.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

I went from a Salomon pack which needed the zips sprayed with lube every ride or two to one with a stainless zipper, it's the little things.....
Little things.gif

They make bolt on titties and other things for the packs I bought, I'm sure there's a wish version that would work on most packs for $3.50.
kriega-trail-pockets.gif

EDIT- Radio Pouches- Find Police Security Military Tactical and Outdoor gear and products (tacticalgear.com.au)

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I like riding packless as much as the next guy. I especially like the cooling effect on the upper back once you point your bike downhill. I've even resorted to bibs so I can carry snacks and even a 500ml bladder (bonus points if I remember to freeze it for those 35°C 100% humidity days). I'd been riding packless for 3 years when I broke my back, then went back to the pack as I started riding again. I ditched it 3/4 of the way through the season as it was just too hot and sweaty.

but with this setup, can you imagine forgetting which pocket you put your gummies in? or where your multitool is? "hang on a minute guys, I need to tighten this bolt... [5 minutes later] I can't find my tool... what pocket did I put it in again?!?!?! argh!!!"

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I still have a mesh like vest from Specialized, that I love. I don't think they make it anymore. It has the pockets in the back. Perfect for both DH/XC/Endurbro. If all you need is one or two bottles.

More than that, I go big - ish back pack. I can't do hip pack. Feels too weird. You can also put a beer in one of those or two. Like the entire can, unopened. In the bladder. Put some ice in it to keep it cold. Pop it when you're ready for a break.

I haven't tried the running type things, but they do seem pretty alright. I like the looks of the tactical one posted above.

Phone thing - smart watch helps a lot in eliminating spam vs emergency type communique without stopping. But where I live/ride, there's usually really bad connectivity. So sorry not sorry I didn't get your call/text/spam. :D

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Does anybody have an USWE pack? I've been tempted by the compact outlander 3L. Could leave the pocket off for short rides and put it one for longer rides. I don't think I've ever needed all the capacity my camelback nor osprey pack ever gave me nor have I needed all the water capacity. Usually 2/3 a pack for the most epic adventure I will go on is fine. Plus is comes in neon yellow

Also, here's a hydration vest thing:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Does anybody have an USWE pack? I've been tempted by the compact outlander 3L. Could leave the pocket off for short rides and put it one for longer rides. I don't think I've ever needed all the capacity my camelback nor osprey pack ever gave me nor have I needed all the water capacity. Usually 2/3 a pack for the most epic adventure I will go on is fine. Plus is comes in neon yellow

Also, here's a hydration vest thing:
Yes, festivus gift to replace an ancient 50oz CB I use for racing. Haven't used it yet :p Ask me in a month when I've done my next 100 miler.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Not USWE, but I've got a couple of the EVOC vest things, and the Camelbak Chase one. I got the EVOC to replace the Camelbak because it's only got 1 zippered pocket, and stuff kept falling out the other side. The EVOCs don't breath quite as well since they're not all mesh, but they do not move at all. Like others said, way more stable than stupid hip packs. On hot days, I like to fill the bladder mostly with ice cubes, which keeps me and the water cool for a couple hours.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I feel like my USWE really does cut down on how much fluids I need by a significant margin. Laster years 50 mile WOR was hot and I didn't run out of water.

But it's not perfect. During large jumps and stuff, I feel like it moves up too easy when there's a lot of fluid in it. It feels like you are "hanging" by the pack more. With more surface area and traditional straps, I feel like a more traditional pack doesn't do this as much...but then those are usually more weight too. The USWE would be nice with a few mesh pockets on the straps...but the idea of this thing is minimalist as much as possible. It barely fits my ancient SE phone and if you want to carry anything more, you have to sacrifice bladder capacity and stick it in the bladder compartment...like wallet, etc. A slightly larger one than I have might be nice...but I don't even have the *most* minimalist/smallest one either.

But for cooling, it seems to be pretty awesome. The easy on/off feature is a lot better than two vertical and two horizontal straps like most packs. A lot of XC pros use this that previously only used water bottles and for some of us, we just can't match the outright water efficiency of the 130lb humans that can ride 50+ miles on less than 2 water bottles. That and bikes that can't take two full size water bottles anyway. Also lets me diversify, put straight water in this, then put electrolyte or energy mix in a bottle, etc. The diversifying is nice too because I don't know if it's just me, but getting water in any fast/rough race from a bottle is just a pain in the ass, to get it, tilt it, get enough water fast enough between breaths, etc. It's never "optimal" and having diversified sources allows you to play this out a little better depending on the actual situation. That's race-specific, but IMO, that's what this USWE is really geared towards.

For bigger rides though, there's just more gear I have to bring, like packable jackets, an extra set of gloves, food, etc. You need a bigger pack pretty quickly on this remote stuff IMO. I have a "lowrider" camelback with a lot of capacity...but IME it's pretty horrible because you have no padding around your neck/upper back for portaging the bike up steep stuff, which I like to do. So if I gotta wear a slightly bigger pack, I like to have this....and of course a hip pack has nothing here. I'll still wear a hip for a short ride (won a new one this winter), but that's where I definitely won't be portaging and where 1 bottle is plenty....and to that extent, pre-hydrating some electrolyte mix (not gatorade crap) makes a big difference on how much you need during any ride, whether 45 min or 5 hours. It's not quite 1:1, but I can cut down like how much water I need to bring by how much I drink before-but drinking straight water like this is nearly impossible.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009

Deuter Vertrail 16 is a hybrid mountaineering / running back that would fit this use well. It's 16L with a roll top style lid, waterproof fabric and has a running vest style chest straps with pockets on the straps.

Two options from the trail running side are the Ascender 13 and Ascender 7. These aren't a vest and more of a pack than a vest, Deuter now also makes a smaller slim running vest. Same strap pocket layout as above just with a more "aero" tear drop shaped pack body. I wear the 7 as my daily ride pack and it easily handles stuff for a big single day when pack a spare layer plus light jacket, tool roll, and food but it's light enough to not notice it when I just have it with the tool roll and a snack. The bigger pouch pocket on the left side at first I thought looked goofy and was going to cut it off (it's for hiking poles), but I've found it useful to stuff my gloves in for climbing and I stick the kids tow strap I use in there when on kiddo rides.

Deuter has a bike specific vest/pack hybrid version coming for next summer, I've not played with a sample yet (I work for the Canadian Deuter distributor).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I feel like my USWE really does cut down on how much fluids I need by a significant margin. Laster years 50 mile WOR was hot and I didn't run out of water.

But it's not perfect. During large jumps and stuff, I feel like it moves up too easy when there's a lot of fluid in it. It feels like you are "hanging" by the pack more. With more surface area and traditional straps, I feel like a more traditional pack doesn't do this as much...but then those are usually more weight too. The USWE would be nice with a few mesh pockets on the straps...but the idea of this thing is minimalist as much as possible. It barely fits my ancient SE phone and if you want to carry anything more, you have to sacrifice bladder capacity and stick it in the bladder compartment...like wallet, etc. A slightly larger one than I have might be nice...but I don't even have the *most* minimalist/smallest one either.

But for cooling, it seems to be pretty awesome. The easy on/off feature is a lot better than two vertical and two horizontal straps like most packs. A lot of XC pros use this that previously only used water bottles and for some of us, we just can't match the outright water efficiency of the 130lb humans that can ride 50+ miles on less than 2 water bottles. That and bikes that can't take two full size water bottles anyway. Also lets me diversify, put straight water in this, then put electrolyte or energy mix in a bottle, etc. The diversifying is nice too because I don't know if it's just me, but getting water in any fast/rough race from a bottle is just a pain in the ass, to get it, tilt it, get enough water fast enough between breaths, etc. It's never "optimal" and having diversified sources allows you to play this out a little better depending on the actual situation. That's race-specific, but IMO, that's what this USWE is really geared towards.

For bigger rides though, there's just more gear I have to bring, like packable jackets, an extra set of gloves, food, etc. You need a bigger pack pretty quickly on this remote stuff IMO. I have a "lowrider" camelback with a lot of capacity...but IME it's pretty horrible because you have no padding around your neck/upper back for portaging the bike up steep stuff, which I like to do. So if I gotta wear a slightly bigger pack, I like to have this....and of course a hip pack has nothing here. I'll still wear a hip for a short ride (won a new one this winter), but that's where I definitely won't be portaging and where 1 bottle is plenty....and to that extent, pre-hydrating some electrolyte mix (not gatorade crap) makes a big difference on how much you need during any ride, whether 45 min or 5 hours. It's not quite 1:1, but I can cut down like how much water I need to bring by how much I drink before-but drinking straight water like this is nearly impossible.
Thanks for the info. I can see the logic of a hip pack after my last fully-laden camelbak ride which really showed how much it sucks to wear a full backpack while traveling fast. I don't need the full capacity but it was nice to have a place for my jacket too. So that's why something between my osprey and a hip pack makes sense. Which one do you have? I like the outlander 3L as it appears to be convertible from full pinner to "a little extra" but it's hard to see these in real life.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
In kidwoo's absence, I can reiterate my love for my Camelbak Repack LR 4 and EVOC hip pack pro. I can fill up my 1.5L bladder, carry a small pump, multitool, car keys, wallet, first aid stuff, snacks, cell phone and maybe a small windbreaker. Perfect for up to 2-2.5hr rides. They may look dumb, but I don't care what others think.

The way those two hip packs are made mean that they don't move at all when riding and I can just tighten the waist straps while riding to compensate for the bladder emptying. I truly forget I'm wearing them and compared to a backpack it does not restrict movement at all and my back sweats a lot less. Plus I can wear my Alpinestars back protector without interfering if I want more protection.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
My experience is that a backpack isn't good for actual mtb riding unless it has a waist strap. I can see how these may be good for running (vertical body orientation), but they're not for me for riding bikes, particularly where there are relatively steep descents. If I'm wearing a backpack I am carrying enough stuff and water that something without waist straps will not stay put. (For smaller loads I'm wearing a hip pack - primarily the EVOC noted above.)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I have ditched backpacks for riding, its so much better without them.

Even my fanny pack gets very little use now. I will only pull that out on really long rides, when I need to carry a beer or if its super hot and I need more water.

I just carry everything on the bike now. Crush some beer (or water) before hitting the trails and I'm good for 15-20km.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
I thought this was going to be some sort of water pipe!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Thanks for the info. I can see the logic of a hip pack after my last fully-laden camelbak ride which really showed how much it sucks to wear a full backpack while traveling fast. I don't need the full capacity but it was nice to have a place for my jacket too. So that's why something between my osprey and a hip pack makes sense. Which one do you have? I like the outlander 3L as it appears to be convertible from full pinner to "a little extra" but it's hard to see these in real life.
I just looked at it, it says Outlander 4L, but these are extremely deceiving. They are very minimalist, if you fill it all the way up, you will struggle to fit a phone in there, there are no extra pockets or extra material to pack out at all, so the "footprint" ends up being pretty small. The bladder takes up all the space, no extra. I kind of struggled with the decision, I wanted to try the "pro", at least I thought I did...but after having this, I realize going smaller would be a bad idea. This is already "really small". That 3L "convertible" may be a good idea too, but I would caution in general to say these are smaller than they look or than you might think.