Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
A lot of the aliexpress glasses ship with an empty insert. You can take that to a legitimate optometrist to have lenses cut. Putting $300 luxotica lenses into a $20 set of rockbros is another thing, though.

That being said, the hot shit is zenni optical, which is all made in china and shipped to the US. They've become my favorite way through the monopoly
I've had a few pairs from Zenni that I use for riding, normal sunglasses and photochromatic.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
-10.5. In my good eye.
I had a boss that had that type of Rx. Normally she'd wear contacts, but during high intensity, like budget, line item, eye tiring shit. Her eyes got too tired and on went the glasses. And they were THICK.

So I got two sets of new Rx glasses. Same prescription from the Opto. But one ordered from him. The other straight from Oakley.

The Knolls was from Oakley. Super impressed. The other is the Plank 2.0 (I had the original Plank, so I figured why not?)

The Knolls from Oakley came first by over 3 weeks. Boo Opto. The Plank is a bit smaller, and these days I have transition lenses. Like needing reading glasses and near sighted ness glasses. So the larger lenses of the Knolls are great.

IDK. Check'em out.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@OGRipper Think that'd probably need a referral here. From an optometrist. Who've found no medical issues other than just what happens to eyes naturally with age.

Thanks @canadmos Not sure if you're serious. I couldn't ever pull those off without comedic/ironic intentions

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
-10.5. In my good eye.

The main reason I've heard for years is that the surface area is so big that to get a heavy prescription to work the lenses end up too thick and heavy due to the need for curvature, etc. You'd think someone would have figured out a better solution by now but apparently not, even so-called high index lenses still have that issue.
and I think this ends up being the main reason that any glasses fog up so much easier than sunglasses, even my relatively light perscrip is relatively thick compared to sunglasses and riding glasses I use with my contacts. So my perscription glasses will fog up way easier, despite being "sports" models, and that becomes incredibly frustrating when trying to ride.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@OGRipper Think that'd probably need a referral here. From an optometrist. Who've found no medical issues other than just what happens to eyes naturally with age.

Thanks @canadmos Not sure if you're serious. I couldn't ever pull those off without comedic/ironic intentions
You should see my other ones then! I pulled up to the trail head in these once. :rofl:

But really if those others are too much, just get some of these:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I've already got a few pairs of Oakley Radars (and multiple lenses incl clear and photochromic) for road riding if I want to look like a mutant.
Thought @canadmos was on about sometbing a bit less special

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
With taste as bad as this Cyclists deserve everything that's wrong with the industry and only have themselves to blame.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Try these then? What are you even looking for?

1719596302058.png

I mean they are clear glasses that will help keep the wind and shit out of your eyes. Only so many shapes they can have AND be effective. :busted:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Considering how quickly goggle lenses get destroyed, these have been a great alternative when I actually need eye protection -

Also the 6001 version of these can be worn over glasses:

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
didn't read most of the last 50 posts, but:

- you don't need an ophthalmologist (vs an optometrist) unless you have an eye disease or something that needs a procedure (like LASIK
- I liked the quality of the-through-Oakley Rx lenses in my Oakley Gascans. updated them to two Rxs over the years before I went LASIK myself.
- only solution for non-LASIK + non-fogging is contacts, ime, as per Jm_. I had Focus Dailies used only for skiing.
- been happy with my LASIK outcome although it took me ~6 mo to get back to baseline visual acuity of 20/15, which is kind of actually an important thing for me since my actual job is to look at things and then write about 'em.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Glasses do sit fairly far out from my eyes as I have fairly high bridge so pushing them closer brings them up too high on my face. could this be part of the reason I'm having so much trouble judging distance when looking downwards?
Missed this earlier. Your optician should have measured the distance between your pupils to determine the "optical center" of your lenses (i.e., the spot where you look through the lenses most of the time), and then had the lenses made accordingly. (Depends on the frame but IME the optical center is usually not the center of the lens.) If they messed up the optical center, or if you ride with your glasses in a different place than where they were when they were measured, you may be looking through a point that is not the optical center. Doing that can distort your vision, and distorted vision in one or both eyes can mess with depth perception. May not solve all your issues but worth checking out.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Guys. I need advice. No shit!??? Hhahah.
Now I need glasses for driving I should be wearing them to ride too. But just can't get on with them for proper mtb riding. Contacts go blurry too often. and distance glasses correct my vision perfectly but completely fuck up my sight for judging distance and perspective. and it only gets worse for drops, like I can't even judge the landing distances on even tiny step drops.
I had a pair of AliXpress photochromatic sports sunglasses made with my distance prescription and wear them driving and commuting daily where they work great but I've pretty much given up trying to mountainbike in them. Over the last few years I've steadily begun to actively avoid wooded trails with poor or dappled tight caused by tree cover as riding at speeds I should easily be comfortable with the realisation that it's just plain dangerous as I'm basically riding blind has begun to hit home. Opticians I've spoken to really haven't really been much help at all and many don't even seem to understand what I'm talking about in regards to not being able to judge distance with glasses. many just saying I need to get used to it. Glasses do sit fairly far out from my eyes as I have fairly high bridge so pushing them closer brings them up too high on my face. could this be part of the reason I'm having so much trouble judging distance when looking downwards?
Distance prescription is -2.5 reading -3.5 so I can still read my phone/garmin with distance correction.
These:
initially when I first got contacts the optician suggested wearing one distance and one reading contact. walking around etc. and reading this was great but when I tried this riding DH with mates I almost died so many times on the one run I had to stop and remove the reading lens half way down just to make it to the bottom. Again when speaking to the optician about this I was told my brain just needed to get used to it. Walking around, yeah. My brain seems to do a fine job but at on a bike with lots of information to take in at speed. No fucking chance while wearing two prescriptions. I'm also ADHD AF so maybe that's also a factor?
From the amount and regularity of minor injuries I've sustained throughout my entire life while doing every day shit and my general overall clumsiness I'm beginning to think I might also be a touch dyspraxic. Weirdly I'm not clumsy and don't sustain many injuries at all while riding bikes despite having always been somewhat of a risk taker whenever I'm on a bike. I'm not particularly clumsy working on them in the workshop either. I put this down to bikes giving me the exact amount of hyperfocus and dopamine. Even commuting for me is like a hyperfocused video game.
Doesn't seem that uncommon with dyspraxia and ADHD to be able to hyperfocus away the dyspraxia in certain (enjoyable) tasks. Eg. My youngest daughter's older brother is the most dyspraxic person I've ever met. like shoes on the wrong feet. wearing his sisters T-shirt oblivious that it's not his and standing on his phone with his fingers caught in the door hinges level dyspraxia. Basically had a season pass for A&E as a kid. is an adult now and very good Chef so uses super sharp knives, super hot stuff etc. for long shifts in busy kitchens and rarely has accidents there. He's also always been very ADHD and his hyperfocus has always been food and cooking same as his Dad.

Yeah. Way too much sharing. Sorry. Not sorry.
did they measure your glasses correctly? ie. distance to pupil etc? ask for carl zeiss optics, you can get them specialy cut, so you don‘t have any distortions on the edges of the corrections. i didn‘t had this before, now with my daily drivers as well as with the riding ones. makes a huge difference.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Missed this earlier. Your optician should have measured the distance between your pupils to determine the "optical center" of your lenses (i.e., the spot where you look through the lenses most of the time), and then had the lenses made accordingly. (Depends on the frame but IME the optical center is usually not the center of the lens.) If they messed up the optical center, or if you ride with your glasses in a different place than where they were when they were measured, you may be looking through a point that is not the optical center. Doing that can distort your vision, and distorted vision in one or both eyes can mess with depth perception. May not solve all your issues but worth checking out.
yes measured. Multiple times. And all my prescription glasses incl the AliX shades have the correct PD (which being a fair bit wider than average probably would have mattered more than most if they were just made to average Joe PD).

What sort of Optician/Optometrist wouldn't do this? ... Surely no one in perfect Switzerland.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
been happy with my LASIK outcome although it took me ~6 mo to get back to baseline visual acuity of 20/15, which is kind of actually an important thing for me since my actual job is to look at things and then write about 'em.
Years back in my 20s. While doing her PhD my partner of the time lectured in the optometric dept at Uni. I drank a lot in the Student union, played pool and talked to a lot of folk there so ended up getting lots of free eye examinations from her colleagues and various other PhD and Ex-grad students. My eye examinations always came out 20/20... Which I felt very smug and ignorantly proud of at the time (she, and most of the Dept wore glasses and I am/was an immature twat) ... Wasn't until many years later I actually found out what it meant. And that it's not exactly a super power being able to see properly at a distance of 20 fucking feet away.

Last edited:

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
The biggest issue with goggles IME is fogging. The biggest reason you use them is watering with mud being a pretty close secondary. The issue with fogging though is this isn't like motorsports or even skiing, our exertion screws the entire thing up, skiing you are going downhill all the time, as you work harder on mtb, in cooler places, you start getting fog. Unless this somehow magically stops fog, which every single thing that makes that claim doesn't deliver on, I don't see the point.

Plus, these make fuck-all allowance for people that have to wear glasses. I did start using contacts for similar reasons, but not everyone can.
I learned years ago in Whistler to rip the top and bottom foam off of the goggles. It sound like it defeats the purpose of goggles, but it doesn't.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I learned years ago in Whistler to rip the top and bottom foam off of the goggles. It sound like it defeats the purpose of goggles, but it doesn't.
The best I've found are my Julbo airflux goggles, the lense is on a "cam" and pops out about 1/2 from the face of the goggle, basically a giant vent, no foam in there. I *can* run glasses underneath I've found, and it's the least amount of fogging I've found, but with contacts, definitely the hot shit. I couldn't find them and bought another pair...then found the original, which worked out kinda great, use the more beat up one for riding, the better one for skiing.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I learned years ago in Whistler to rip the top and bottom foam off of the goggles
been doing that since the 90s too. although just removing the entire top foam section has always created enough airflow to sort fogging out and found it Impossible to get any goggles to stay clear through a wet winter over here without doing so. You also kinda want two pairs here as if it's actually raining enough that the surround foam soaks right through they'll fog easier. not to mention feel horrible to wear.
Double glazed lenses (are those still a thing?) worked well but cost a fortune and become a scratched up mess in a just number of runs in the mud nevermind days.
Front mudguards and longer peaks make a massive difference.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
whats the difference then to modern bike sunnies?

the only good thing goggles do is keeping the dust out
For me. I need dust and protecting eyes from drying out (wind/speed). It's dry up here. If you're following your bros, your gonna get a metric shit ton of dust in yo face. This is why I prefer to lead :D

Not really an issue in other parts of the world. But if you wear contacts and are getting old....

I have a pair of "sand" goggles. Love them. But in order to be so protective of sand, more foam.

So that means less breathability and ultimately fogging. In the right conditions.

It's all trade offs.

Show me a breathable sand/dust proof goggle! Take my money nao! HA

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
isn't that designed to be worn for getting covered in Bro dust?
Seth will have one in his dungeon for sure.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Anyone remember Jericho Bikes? Back when single speed was super popular (late 90's early 2000's) they made steel frames in NorCal. The owner developed a bit of a powdery nose issue and burned a ton of folks then disappeared.

Well, he's set up shop in Durango and is making bike parts.
$600 Ti stem that likely will have to be pried open to fit a decent rise bar. But it has an engraved serial number! :bonk:

Screenshot 2024-06-29 104733.png

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
looking like I should persevere with contacts. maybe all I need is clear riding specs over to stop the wind/blurring.
Fuck. Gonna end up looking like an Enduro cunt!
I think contacts will work best but you need both eyes corrected for distance. When you do one near and one far you have no depth perception. It’s fine at a desk but no good for bikes.

As far as glasses you could take yours and at least make sure the lenses were made to spec. Any eye place can read the lenses. Cheap places definitely give out lenses with a prescription that is different than ordered sometimes.

I think the other challenge with glasses is that the lens is optimized for vision through the optical center. But the periphery of the lens is more distorted. Again fine at a desk but problematic on bikes. This issue may be worse for cheap lenses or for dimensionally smaller lenses but I’m not sure it can be completely avoided.

I think contacts will work best but you need both eyes corrected for distance. When you do one near and one far you have no depth perception. It’s fine at a desk but no good for bikes.

As far as glasses you could take yours and at least make sure the lenses were made to spec. Any eye place can read the lenses. Cheap places definitely give out lenses with a prescription that is different than ordered sometimes.

I think the other challenge with glasses is that the lens is optimized for vision through the optical center. But the periphery of the lens is more distorted. Again fine at a desk but problematic on bikes. This issue may be worse for cheap lenses or for dimensionally smaller lenses but I’m not sure it can be completely avoided.
When I first started wearing them, I had a swimming sensation when riding with bifocals. No issues nowadays. Relatively large lenses, 4 1/2 x 6 cm.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
that‘s what‘s corrected in mine, nearly no distortions on the edges. huuuuuuuge difference to what i had before

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Friends and I have been doing lots of design work and trading off doing Ti maching for Firefly bikes with Josh Ogle the last few years.

He’s one of the Good Things in the bike industry these days.
His too-short stems, notwithstanding.
Josh is really excellent at designing ti frame weldments for 3d printing…. and convincing people they need Ti centerlock lockrings!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Anyone remember Jericho Bikes? Back when single speed was super popular (late 90's early 2000's) they made steel frames in NorCal. The owner developed a bit of a powdery nose issue and burned a ton of folks then disappeared.

Well, he's set up shop in Durango and is making bike parts.
$600 Ti stem that likely will have to be pried open to fit a decent rise bar. But it has an engraved serial number! :bonk:

View attachment 214074
I think my Nemesis Project stem has a serial number but it may only be laser etched.