Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Why do you want your seat to move forward a lot when lowered?
I don't. I want it to move down directly in line with the BB. Which it does. Perfectly.
But...
Far Steeper seat angles (and longer reach (often too long) is the main reason short folk are all crying for a 200mm dropper these days when 150mm drop should be plenty. That and the stupid saddle nose pointed downwards epidemic

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
FWIW. I just prefer shorter REACH. Smaller wheels and shorter wheelbase bikes. They're just way MOAR fun for me as they pick up and pop with far less effort. But nowadays if you size down to get that maneuverability you end up too close the the stem when pedalling with the seatpost fully extended.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Counterpoint: Lots of folks don't want their butts way rearward over the rear axle when their post is fully extended. That's particularly true for those of us with longer legs for our overall height. (And yes, we can all move our seats fore and aft to adjust for an angle we don't love. But still.)

Also, how can you see my bald spot from way down there? Mirrors?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
With my miniscule 33" inseam even riding older geo smalls and Mediums didn't ever put my saddle position too rearward. The only bike I can think of that ever did was an over FORKED 2002 specialized SX. Which wasn't really designed for seated pedalling in the first place.
I also ride roadbikes and always have done so really dislike that steeper seat angles give you that feeling of pedalling from above the BB.
I do get why taller longer legged folk might prefer it but surely proportionally longer chainstays would have been something to look for too if you're in that quandry.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Those DT shocks were bad. The only one I had was a pull shock and the seals constantly failed. Since moving to Fox they've been good. There's nothing weird in the damper so they can be tuned like any other Fox shock. It's just got an extra air chamber that opens or closes with the lever.
Ah yes DT shocks. Do they still make them? I remember DT made a ton of crap products back in the day (including DT 6.1 rims which were the worst rim I ever had as my tire literally fell of my BRAND NEW 1 day old rim on a jump lip). Then again my father still runs another niche air shock from Magura on his 1998 Gary Fisher Joshua. No idea why it didn't explode yet.

PS. Fewer OEM only parts on this bike cafe from Spesh than on the stumpy:

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Didn't DT just purchase the suspension side of the UK company PACE cycles back then. Pace forks were pretty popular over here "Engineer" owned but kinda terrible to middling in design/performance .

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Didn't DT just purchase the suspension side of the UK company PACE cycles back then. Pace forks were pretty popular over here "Engineer" owned but kinda terrible to middling in design/performance .
Exactly, DT Bought Pace and called the day off. Their first branded DT forks were pretty popular down here among the weight weenies, and they were only good as paperweights or wall art. Noodly AF, and would lock when side loaded due to torsion and bushing binding.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Think yourselves lucky. In their early years PACE used a 4 bolt clamping face (similar to a stem front face) to hold their stanchions in the crown. And guess what? Clamped to correct torque it didn't clamp them tightly enough so any harsh bottom out and the stanchions were shot through the crown. Tighten it above spec and the stupidly thin plates stretched rendering it even MOAR useless.. They sold tons of those. Luckily mainly just to skinny XC dudes who basically rode what the hipsters now refer to as "gravel" .

Last edited: