Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
They have clear ones, but you can get cheap safety glasses for very little dough that should suffice as well as look not-dorky-enough. I have a set of Seven (or whatever analogue of that word) glasses that are fine to look through, but the temples come apart too easily to recommend. I just can't get over people spending over $200 on a set of glasses- there's something that I'm missing because it's not visual clarity nor comfort.
I ordered a pair of the Kapvoe ones you linked to with the lens kit. Should last him a while.

on the issue of value glasses. I bought the kids some of the Rockbros glasses. I found they scratch super easily, and need replacing fairly often. I also notice that the visual acuity isn't quite the same as on expensive glasses especially in high-glare situations such as on bright sunny days on snow. Come to think of it, they also struggle in flat light conditions too. Both of which happen frequently nordic skiing. But the kids are pretty rough on them, so that's all I'm gonna pay.

I have a pair of $300 glasses (the Fyre ones from Ryders - RIP). They're photochromic, polarized, anti-fog, adjustable nose and temples... the whole 9 yards. They also are designed to channel airflow up the inside of the lens to help with fogging. And they're shatter proof.

I've had them for 6 years now? I'm pretty anal about my glasses, so I'm ok spending a bit more to get something that lasts.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'd also totally rock not wearing glasses if I didn't wear prescription glasses.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Expensive glasses can be gamble. Sometimes it does pay off.
I am still rocking a pair of first generation Oakley Flak Jackets that I got on a custom build order sale for a deep discount. They have to be 15 years old if not more. They have changeable lenses, so I have a set of lenses for riding, and a set of polarized for canoeing. I have replaced each set once. The frames are pretty loose at the temples and the finish is splotchy, but they still work perfectly fine when on my punkin'.

In this case, 10/10 would bang again.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Plenty folk "adjusted" the Scott one along with it's front support post straight to the bin and fitted a normal saddle on the normal seatpost.
Same with the extra damper

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Plenty folk "adjusted" the Scott one along with it's front support post straight to the bin and fitted a normal saddle on the normal seatpost.
Same with the extra damper
Why bother getting one at all?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Klein’s contributions, love them, or hate them. (A little of both here)
integrated bar/stem
internal cable routing
1.5“ steer tube diameter
Press fit BB, cartridge headset bearings
large seatpost diameters

Most of those things were a real PITA, actually. But definitely ‘futuristic’.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Today. We had to contact a bicycle manufacturer to get a written letter of acceptance to forward to our shimano distributor so that they would unlock the Di2 shifters the customer had asked for on his new Ebike. Because autoshift needs documentation of acceptance from each bike manufacturer for legal reasons
Nevermind "wrong" this whole current obsession with electric shit all over bicycles is absolutely fucking retarded.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Today. We had to contact a bicycle manufacturer to get a written letter of acceptance to forward to our shimano distributor so that they would unlock the Di2 shifters the customer had asked for on his new Ebike. Because autoshift needs documentation of acceptance from each bike manufacturer for legal reasons
Nevermind "wrong" this whole current obsession with electric shit all over bicycles is absolutely fucking retarded.
new di2 is gonna require a RSA256 key every time you want to ride

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Reaching over and shifting for your buddies to mess with them is a classic move, can't wait to start doing it electronically.
My buddies that have e-bikes have been giving me shit so I'm tempted to order and install a few extra speed sensors for their bikes so the limiter kicks in at like 8kph.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
My buddies that have e-bikes have been giving me shit so I'm tempted to order and install a few extra speed sensors for their bikes so the limiter kicks in at like 8kph.
so they'll still be able to climb at the speed of most folk on normal bikes? Sounds quite charitable

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Not only licensing agreements and batteries, but now they're saying that the electronics can be hacked causing mis-shifts.
TBF a lot of Ebike Jerrys really could do with outside assistance when it comes to how and when to shift gear.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
you mean magnets?
I just googled and they're $20 AUD each. Its almost worth it for an epic prank.

so they'll still be able to climb at the speed of most folk on normal bikes? Sounds quite charitable
Fair point hey. I actually reckon I'm slower than that when I'm in lowest gear. Although I think they'd end up going crazy as assistance turns on and off. Actually screw it - I'm going to wait till they've full electric with a motor and electronic shifting and then hit them with an EMP somewhere remote.

Hack the bike with a speaker so it plays ICP too
Dear god man, thats going too far. Probably a breach of Geneva Convention

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
hit them with an EMP somewhere remote.
Hmm...
On four separate occasions my motor has thrown a connection error and switched itself off passing the same MacDonald's . Never had the error elsewhere. Kinda weird considering the place is usually packed out with illegal Ebike deleveroo guys