Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
infinite travel sounds interesting

I would like to travel to Australia. just need to dial in a few thousand km of that infinite negative travel

Milleratio

Monkey
Oct 24, 2021
Not sure if this is more "What has the industry broken on your bike recently?" or "This is what's wrong.."

I'm experiencing difficulty achieving an airtight seal with my Mavic valves both inside and outside. I don't believe the issue is caused by the tape because if that were the case, the spokes would also be leaking air? The problem seems to be specifically at the base of the valve.

I find it puzzling that Mavic drilled the valve hole in the rim asymmetrically and then used a hard plastic adapter to address the problem, as shown on the left here. The hole also seems a little too big, leading to the valve moving and leaking.

I've never encountered anything like this before. Do you have any tips for troubleshooting this issue?

1724050762891.jpeg

Last edited:

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Re tape the rim. And carefully make a new (round) hole in the tape for the valve. Only the rubber at the base of the valve sealing well against the tape matters. Not the nut. Or adapter

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Not sure if this is more "What has the industry broken on your bike recently?" or "This is what's wrong.."

I'm experiencing difficulty achieving an airtight seal with my Mavic valves both inside and outside. I don't believe the issue is caused by the tape because if that were the case, the spokes would also be leaking air? The problem seems to be specifically at the base of the valve.

I find it puzzling that Mavic drilled the valve hole in the rim asymmetrically and then used a hard plastic adapter to address the problem, as shown on the left here. The hole also seems a little too big, leading to the valve moving and leaking.

I've never encountered anything like this before. Do you have any tips for troubleshooting this issue?

View attachment 217062
had the same problem with asymetrical raceface rims. put another o-ring inbetween the rim and the plastic wedge adapter

Milleratio

Monkey
Oct 24, 2021
Interesting how the rim doesn't appear asymmetric. The spoke holes are drilled to the sides of the concave, but I don't see any reason why the valve hole couldn't have been drilled straight through the rim. This must be something
1724057465488.png
special.

Didn't take a picture but the valve hole meets the bee_kay77 standard of roundness. Never had such a problem with e13 or DT Swiss wheels.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
had the same problem with asymetrical raceface rims. put another o-ring inbetween the rim and the plastic wedge adapter
Erm... Pour quoi?

Due to the ass-symmetry the outer edge of the valve hole is at an angle. So that plastic angled adapter is only required to allow the valve nut to be tightened square. Pulling the rubber seal end into the tape/valve.
Exactly how are you imagining squashing a round O-ring at an angle between the adapter and rim will help?
The leak needing dealt with is from the inside of the rim. If not dealt with properly air/sealant is going to end up in the rim cavity. And no one wants goo in their cavity forever. Not even you Seth.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

View attachment 217062
cut a small piece of an old inner tube - half inch by half inch square or so (12mm for Gary). poke a hole in the center and put it over the valve stem.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Not only licensing agreements and batteries, but now they're saying that the electronics can be hacked causing mis-shifts. There's a concern that it could affect tour racers all the way down to local races.

Sram anticipated this when they released the first AXS, making their wireless protocol (which is NOT Bluetooth) encrypted. It was discussed at some length at the time because wireless shifting seemed so wild and fraught with potential problems. Years later Shimano introduces wireless shifting and no one discussed what the protocol is or what protections are in place cuz we've moved past that concern. Whoops.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Valves with a base that shape never seal as well as valves with a cone shaped base.

Easy solution: Replace the valve.

Trick to make a shitty sealing valve work: After inflating the tire hold the wheel upright, rotate so the valve is at the bottom, and give it a few seconds for all the sealant to pool. Jerk the wheel up and down so the sealant splashes up onto the base of the valve. Normal riding almost never gets sealant to that spot so a poorly sealed valve will continue to leak until effort is put into getting the sealant onto the leak. I've experienced this many times and this "splashing sealant up onto the ceiling" always cures the leak.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Sram anticipated this when they released the first AXS, making their wireless protocol (which is NOT Bluetooth) encrypted. It was discussed at some length at the time because wireless shifting seemed so wild and fraught with potential problems. Years later Shimano introduces wireless shifting and no one discussed what the protocol is or what protections are in place cuz we've moved past that concern. Whoops.
This would be a great advantage if I can hack into my fellow racers shifters....if any of them actually used Di2...

Milleratio

Monkey
Oct 24, 2021
Valves with a base that shape never seal as well as valves with a cone shaped base.

Easy solution: Replace the valve.
I initially tried using Mucoff valves, but they didn't work. Then I tried using Mavic OG's, which also didn't work. I guess it could have been too easy. Mavic has a 12-year-old video that provides instructions, but it doesn't include this type of valve. Too easy again. I'm actually really desperate to ask here. I also sent an email to Mavic, but their initial response was not very specific, except for the link to a YouTube video.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Valves with a base that shape never seal as well as valves with a cone shaped base
They tend to seal better in the type of rims which have a well. The same width. As thats what they were designed to fit...
But... Yeah. On the whole. I tend to agree.
Designers gotta design, huh?

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
If you've tried 3 types of valves it kinda stands to reason. its probably not your valves but the tape not making a enough of a seal against the valves rubber seal.
If you really are adverse to the thought of re taping the rim. And to add to Lelandjt's advice. Also try coating the valve seal in sealant before inserting it.
Another bodge is to use a strip of gaffer/duct/gorilla tape stuck over the valve hole. Pierce it and go through both. Gorilla tape isn't actually 100% airtight but sealant will soak into it making it so.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
Erm... Pour quoi?

Due to the ass-symmetry the outer edge of the valve hole is at an angle. So that plastic angled adapter is only required to allow the valve nut to be tightened square. Pulling the rubber seal end into the tape/valve.
Exactly how are you imagining squashing a round O-ring at an angle between the adapter and rim will help?
The leak needing dealt with is from the inside of the rim. If not dealt with properly air/sealant is going to end up in the rim cavity. And no one wants goo in their cavity forever. Not even you Seth.
i first tried some basic ones, like those, with an additional wedge shape plastic thingie, wouldn‘t tighten properly, always leaking some air near the valve

IMG_0903.jpeg

switched over to those, with an extra rubber ring und the metal ring, and they were tight, no more leaks

IMG_0904.jpeg

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
you only wrench. mechs never have product knowledge
Hmmm...

Sounds like that extra little rubber O-ring simply allowed feeble unblemished salesman fingers the ability to tighten the nut down sufficiently that the valve's base seal... finally... er... sealed.

But (assuming you didn't simply stop the valve leaking at the wrong place) it worked out for you so fair enough.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
no one wants goo in their cavity forever. Not even you Seth.
I have done better on my current rear wheel.
Bought myself a snazzy nipple driver which was made for real wheel builders and not me.
So I dropped two washers and two nipples in to the rim.
I thought I got the washers out but it seemed they wedged themselves in a deep dark corner, after about three rides I got a musical wheel.

And I'm not gonna do a thing about it, coz I'm that fuckin' lazy.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
Hmmm...

Sounds like that extra little rubber O-ring simply allowed feeble unblemished salesman fingers the ability to tighten the nut down sufficiently that the valve's base seal... finally... er... sealed.

But (assuming you didn't simply stop the valve leaking at the wrong place) it worked out for you so fair enough.
so we both agree, the rubber thing made all the difference!

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Went to pick up my bike from the local shop. Fork warranty type things. Totally forgot they are closed on Mondays

But there's this new place right next door. "Cycle bar". I'm like what is this place?

Do you guys have a "Cycle Bar"? Will there be women there? :D

Doesn't matter cuz they weren't open. I assume it's indoor spin bike shenanigans. No thanks. I can do that on my own
down stairs. Even tho it clearly says it's open 7 days a week. Nope. Wasn't open. SMH.

Attachments

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
The new fox electric post is ugly, expensive, and doesn’t solve any real world problems.

Long live the bike industry.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Pulled out the sack of rotor bolts for my new Magura rotor and had a bolt head snap off when tightening. Thats a first! Was able to unthread the broke off bit with my fingers? Me thinks that rotor bolt snuck through their "qc" program.

Resized_20240820_112021_1724181732500.jpeg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Hopefully it has the lack of serviceability and poor reliability/action of the OG Transfer! Theyve got a reputation to uphold after all!

meanwhile, my wolftooth and bikeyokes are like butter and my cheap PNWs work and are probably the most cost effective, especially when REI was selling them for 1/2 price and I bought a couple.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hopefully it has the lack of serviceability and poor reliability/action of the OG Transfer! Theyve got a reputation to uphold after all!

meanwhile, my wolftooth and bikeyokes are like butter and my cheap PNWs work and are probably the most cost effective, especially when REI was selling them for 1/2 price and I bought a couple.
bikeyoke is working on an electric / wireless dropper too.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If that's including remote and with both batteries fitted it's not hugely over the weight of a complete cable/hose actuated 200mm dropper post.
Who needs a remote when you can just yell to your ass-dropper w/voice recog?