Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
As with electric gearing. Electric droppers remove fine control from the rider.
eg. say you only want to drop your post by an inch while climbing something technical or simply for a more comfortable wheelie position. A cable or hose actuated dropper is really easy to control to make micro adjustments by pressing the remote just slightly. Digital buttons remove that control from us completely and rely only on reaction time in pressing the button. Which is definitely less accurate.

Electric droppers and electric shifting (especially autoshift) can get to fuck as far as I'm concerned. If electrics were to actually be a useful feature on a dropper it would be to pull a dropper down while the saddle is unweighted. . but that would require a fairly substantial motor and battery. So probably not worth the weight penalty

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I am helping a friend who is trying to develop a new consumer product that needs an on/off switch. She asked about Bluetooth connectivity and an app. My response was to watch the "Dennis takes a mental health day " episode of Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I am helping a friend who is trying to develop a new consumer product that needs an on/off switch. She asked about Bluetooth connectivity and an app. My response was to watch the "Dennis takes a mental health day " episode of Always Sunny In Philadelphia.
i went to college with a guy who was obsessed that everything needed an app. he works for airbnb now. tells you all you need to know about him.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Who needs a remote when you can just yell to your ass-dropper w/voice recog?
Nothing like shouting “dropping” as you begin your run and then find your post is 200mm lower than expected.

Or even better, imagine how good heckling will be at enduro races if you can get a riders seat post to return to full height half way down a rock garden.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Or even better, imagine how good heckling will be at enduro races if you can get a riders seat post to return to full height half way down a rock garden.
Oh my god. I thought hecklers yelling "Go Pro Stop!" was funny but now you can yell "Alexa select granny gear and raise seatpost" while people are pedalling into a double. This problem solves itself.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
My voice commands would be like:

"Fix your air pressure problem" For the dropper

"Fix your shitty shifting problem" shifting/derailer/obvsies

"Perform brake bleed!" HA

Where are you AI?! Oh that's right, you can go eff yourself off. :D

Property line.jpg

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The new fox electric post is ugly, expensive, and doesn’t solve any real world problems.

Long live the bike industry.
Pfft, it's an electric dropper that you can use a seat bag with, you could carry spare batteries with you.

I emailed Rockshox and said cashed up white people need a new gimmick with the AXS dropper.
Said they should add a pressure transducer that will let you drop the post to a chosen spot with a short press of the button or behave normally with a longer press.
Shouldn't be that hard for them to do, the valve opens and closes properly quick as it is.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Pfft, it's an electric dropper that you can use a seat bag with, you could carry spare batteries with you.

I emailed Rockshox and said cashed up white people need a new gimmick with the AXS dropper.
Said they should add a pressure transducer that will let you drop the post to a chosen spot with a short press of the button or behave normally with a longer press.
Shouldn't be that hard for them to do, the valve opens and closes properly quick as it is.
Battery life wasn’t really one of my concerns, having said that for the uses where a seat bag is necessary Id still prefer cable actuated.

My negativity to the post is that for the sake of a lighter lever action, you gain an ugly collar, and another app and battery.

Easier set up for a wireless post may be a bonus, and at that price maybe people will use them across multiple bikes - but how often are people really setting these up more than once?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
People can’t even pedal bikes anymore, you think they can run cables thru a frame, even if its once? Nope.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
One day Paul Components will offer a 200mm Hite Rite, with friction thumb shifter actuator (external cabling only) and it’ll solve way more problems than the Fox electric post.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
having said that for the uses where a seat bag is necessary
WTF? A seat bag is NEVER necessary. In fact. I'd go as far as saying the rear of your saddle is the absolute worst place to hang excess weight from on any bike.
a seat bag with a dropper is Joey AF

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
WTF? A seat bag is NEVER necessary. In fact. I'd go as far as saying the rear of your saddle is the absolute worst place to hang excess weight from on any bike.
a seat bag with a dropper is Joey AF
There’s a whole group of people who use their bicycles to carry things long distances, it’s pretty wild I know.

Bike packing/distance races doesn’t really seem the place where you need to recapture valuable half seconds via an electric dropper post though. If you’re pitching a tent every night, you can probably just lower your seat the old fashioned way and not risk having your post eject from itself half way through the Urals.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
a seatpack on a dropper is one step off cable tying your mudguard to the fork stanchions

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
There’s a whole group of people who use their bicycles to carry things long distances, it’s pretty wild I know.

Bike packing/distance races doesn’t really seem the place where you need to recapture valuable half seconds via an electric dropper post though. If you’re pitching a tent every night, you can probably just lower your seat the old fashioned way and not risk having your post eject from itself half way through the Urals.
Oh man. I see it all the time now. It's not mtn bikers. It's commuters. Taking advantage of Colorado's ebike tax saving plan. And they're the throttle kind. Not legal on trails, but roads and bike paths? Yep. Oh thumbs down. But I guess that is one less car on the streets. They aren't "cyclists" that's for sure. I would say those are e-motos. Not e-bikes.

I'll just take my whiskey (make it Canadian), double, with 2 ice cubes. With an ice water back. Thank gov'ner.

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009

Clip are seeking $10M to pursue their fork strap on e-bike conversion kit.

At $499 to the consumer it’ll have you saying “why?” And “what do you need $10M for”.

I can see some rare use cases, not everyone has space for multiple bikes. Maybe you already have a shopper style bike and carrying the extra groceries/a kid makes the bike a struggle to ride…but this isn’t the solution surely?

A traffic cone that straps to your fork legs, doesn’t look like it’d be compatible with a basket or mud guard, and also looks like it could be stolen in about 2 seconds.

Edit:
The base model weighs 8.8lbs and has a range of 6 miles. What’s the point.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Clip are seeking $10M to pursue their fork strap on e-bike conversion kit.

At $499 to the consumer it’ll have you saying “why?” And “what do you need $10M for”.

I can see some rare use cases, not everyone has space for multiple bikes. Maybe you already have a shopper style bike and carrying the extra groceries/a kid makes the bike a struggle to ride…but this isn’t the solution surely?

A traffic cone that straps to your fork legs, doesn’t look like it’d be compatible with a basket or mud guard, and also looks like it could be stolen in about 2 seconds.
"fork penis"

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
a seatpack on a dropper is one step off cable tying your mudguard to the fork stanchions
I’m going to invent an electronic, voice activated ‘seatpack slider’ that simultaneously extends the seatpack 100mm back and up, eliminating the possibility of it hitting the tire when used with an electronic, voice activated dropper.
“there are no problems, only solutions’.
Kickstarter?

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Hmmmm…trying to think of other ways that this doohickey can be repurposed. Maybe to use for rock-haul rigging (trail work?)
Surely there must be a use.
With a small sandpaper attachment it could be repurposed to sand down mud tyres. Snipping is so 2023

Also, paired with an elastic band holding the lever to the bars you can bed new disks in.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Not sure if whats wrong with industry or just Aussie distros but Transition derailleur hangers (pre-UDH models) are $95 AUD for the two parts you need. Who even sells a hanger as two separate parts???

For comparison I just bought replacement hangers for my Nukeproofs (figured better grab spares while I can) and hangers for them are $20 each.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Last time I had to order in a Transition hanger for a customer ( 2 years ago) it retailed at $64.90 NZD?
To be honest though, most of the time I'd just get the Wheels MFG ones as they are cheaper and just as good in my experience.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Not sure if whats wrong with industry or just Aussie distros but Transition derailleur hangers (pre-UDH models) are $95 AUD for the two parts you need. Who even sells a hanger as two separate parts???

For comparison I just bought replacement hangers for my Nukeproofs (figured better grab spares while I can) and hangers for them are $20 each.
Who is the new Distro of Transition Aus? Lustys…Johnny Maclean must have a savage Coke habit. All the ‘10% off spono’d’ hug his Nuts hard.
I boycott any brand Lustys do. They must have more margin than an Antwerp Blood diamond merchant.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI

There are third party hanger makers you could try. Derailleurhangers.com is the first to come to mind.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I love Made, and every single one of those bikes in the video. Sue me.

All those bikes were either built for:
• the welders specific riding style and regional bias
• a customers specific wants and needs
• a sub genre within a subgenre of biking
• testing an idea that seems interesting to the maker.

In their wildest dreams the bulk of those makers probably make <20 bikes a year, across a range of bikes. This ain’t about mass market ideas.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, you build up one of those abominations with tie die rainbow components, move to Bentonville, become an influencer and live off the youtube. This is the way.