Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Apogee Bikes are killing it.

Heavy, expensive, complicated....pick all 3.
Nothing beats a 10lb, 140mm travel frame.

View attachment 217663

View attachment 217664

View attachment 217663

View attachment 217664
I crossed paths with the Apogee dude on the trail last year, had a long conversation. As another weirdo on a steel full suspension bike he was genuinely interested in what I wanted in a bike
Let's just say his design ethos did not align with mine. But he clearly wasn't looking to make a gimmick, he genuinely thinks what he made is what a good bike rides like. Everyone has an opinion, many are wrong.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I love Made, and every single one of those bikes in the video. Sue me.

All those bikes were either built for:
• the welders specific riding style and regional bias
• a customers specific wants and needs
• a sub genre within a subgenre of biking
• testing an idea that seems interesting to the maker.

In their wildest dreams the bulk of those makers probably make <20 bikes a year, across a range of bikes. This ain’t about mass market ideas.
99.9% of that is lugged shit and regressive single pivot bikes. Throw a couple drop bar models in to comfort the guys at the radavist and call the day.

Meh.

Last edited:

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Most of the big brands go these shows to steal ideas.

I would have liked to go to made but after a really slow year at work, I have finally got large orders in and am making money so going anywhere is not happening now.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Most of the big brands go these shows to steal ideas.

I would have liked to go to made but after a really slow year at work, I have finally got large orders in and am making money so going anywhere is not happening now.
IDK, Specialized and Trek seem to come up with plenty on their own.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Why do DT Swiss make it so difficult to find the flange PCD?
Just put it in the damn specs on the product page, I don't want to have to download a manual or use the wheel builder thingy.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
So you don't actually want to know the spoke lengths?
I was hoping to re-use some spokes so I just want to see the flange PCD and offsets.
Every other brand seems to be able to list specs in the specs section but DT.

Yes I am being cheap, but I am poor, I bought two rear hubs in three months and both were shit. I'm already out of pocket about a grand for the pair and the spokes have about 400km on them so I have no issue re-using them.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Why do *some* consumers withhold useful information when complaining? :brow:

Get over your allergy of spoke calcs (or maybe get yourself vaccinated)
Some actually give you hub dimensions
eg.

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo

View attachment 217663

View attachment 217664
Dude. Yeah. There are some crazies out there. And for some reason they want to ride their bikes over the Rockies from Denver to Durango. It's called the Colorado Trail. That's like a 7 hour drive. Multi day mtb ride. And really, from the trails I've seen, not that pleasant. Steep, relentless, loose, high altitude. But pretty cool from a nature's point of view. Then there's the weather. Good luck!

I was in Breckenridge on a bit of a back country jam and accidentally woke up long distance bro from his tent. (Breck is on the way of this nightmare of a ride) Solo, doing the multi day journey. I'm like nice. Good luck!

I would just never do all the bag things on my sweet enduro sled. But it would be more comfortable than a fully rigid. The Colo Trail takes a bit of planning. Some bits yeah, they're great. Others? Not really my jam to have to bring a tent, food, etc.

"Taint maintenance" Comes to mind. :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Dude. Yeah. There are some crazies out there. And for some reason they want to ride their bikes over the Rockies from Denver to Durango. It's called the Colorado Trail. That's like a 7 hour drive. Multi day mtb ride. And really, from the trails I've seen, not that pleasant. Steep, relentless, loose, high altitude. But pretty cool from a nature's point of view. Then there's the weather. Good luck!

I was in Breckenridge on a bit of a back country jam and accidentally woke up long distance bro from his tent. (Breck is on the way of this nightmare of a ride) Solo, doing the multi day journey. I'm like nice. Good luck!

I would just never do all the bag things on my sweet enduro sled. But it would be more comfortable than a fully rigid. The Colo Trail takes a bit of planning. Some bits yeah, they're great. Others? Not really my jam to have to bring a tent, food, etc.

"Taint maintenance" Comes to mind. :D
Taintenance?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Sure the lifts might work, but what's the cost of the maintenance schedule, safety licensing or whatever from the state etc..

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
This article can't be right about the lifts being operational. Buying a hill with functioning chair lift(s?) and a base lodge that can be turned into a home for sub $700k? Some Connecticut DHers just missed out on the deal of a lifetime (if the article is to be believed).
https://unofficialnetworks.com/2024/09/05/woodbury-closed-for-good/
dang...it's a tiny hill but memorable to me as they had a halfpipe and it's the first one i ever skated as a kid...slammed the shit outta myself too :rofl:

Last edited:

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Sure the lifts might work, but what's the cost of the maintenance schedule, safety licensing or whatever from the state etc..
Compared to what I pay for property in Breckenridge & Maui that $700k selling price leaves a lot of $$$ left over for lift maintenance and lodge renovation. And this is in the part of the state that is commuting distance from NYC. That sale price does not compute for me.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
This article can't be right about the lifts being operational. Buying a hill with functioning chair lift(s?) and a base lodge that can be turned into a home for sub $700k? Some Connecticut DHers just missed out on the deal of a lifetime (if the article is to be believed).
https://unofficialnetworks.com/2024/09/05/woodbury-closed-for-good/
Yeah seems doable, right?

I checked, and by that I did some analysis (financial and whatknot) on some ex-ski resorts in CO. To make a bike park. And ski, I mean If I put in the money for some type of lift, may as well make use of it. But really, there's a reason they couldn't make it happen. It sucks. And sad. Mostly on the SW part of the state.

It's almost like the restaurant industry. The joke goes:

How do you make 1 million dollars in the restaurant industry?

You start with 2 .

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Compared to what I pay for property in Breckenridge & Maui that $700k selling price leaves a lot of $$$ left over for lift maintenance and lodge renovation. And this is in the part of the state that is commuting distance from NYC. That sale price does not compute for me.
300' of not very steep elevation.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Alright, so this is my own fault. Not charging an AXS seatpost battery. But....why do you need a proprietary charger?!?! Can't we just use across industry standards and just a an USB type C? FFS SRAM. Get your shit together.

So I'm up in Breckinridge. Seatpost isn't working. Even tho it did down in home town, we'll call it the front range. Now it doesn't work.

Glad I noticed this on a play day with my 10 y/o cuz If I went to Keystone and I couldn't put the seat down, I wouldn't be happy.

Cuz I didn't bring that ridiculous proprietary charger. FFS. To top top it off, there was a shop in Breck that was full on "Yeah we can't charge that for you" Like seriously?! Glad I found a shop that could charge me up. Next to a pizza place. So the day was salvageable, but still.

SRAM, AXS, Battery charging. You can fuck the fuck off.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Electric droppers, haha!
Yeah man. The struggle is real.

Can't say I'll be buying anything AXS unless they address the charging thing.

If you just charge things for the sake of charging things, sure.

But seriously, SRAM, fix this shit. I hope it is already on your roadmap.