Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Found this interesting - not overly surprising, but still...

Interesting for sure.

Part of me says "cry me a river". If you don't like it, leave it. The other part of me is like, that pay kinda sucks. Boo Industry.

Side Note: There was a story on the local news that said more and more Millennials are getting fired from their corporate jobs because of....well a lot of things. Lack of motivation, creativity, getting shit done, entitlement, not paying attention, lack of respect, language usage, etc. to list a few. This is from memory. It was a couple weeks ago. I'm sure google can remember. :D

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Interesting for sure.

Part of me says "cry me a river". If you don't like it, leave it. The other part of me is like, that pay kinda sucks. Boo Industry.

Side Note: There was a story on the local news that said more and more Millennials are getting fired from their corporate jobs because of....well a lot of things. Lack of motivation, creativity, getting shit done, entitlement, not paying attention, lack of respect, language usage, etc. to list a few. This is from memory. It was a couple weeks ago. I'm sure google can remember. :D
agree. i should have made a video about how hard it was to work 3 different part time jobs simultaneously while going to grad school. but nah. because why should anyone care. you just suck it up and get by for a bit. especially if you like the field you work in.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Well, he did say fuck it after two years, he tried the gig and then noped out, so its not like he is still bent over for that party.

I was surprised that the pay was so low and they had to pick up their own travel etc. I wasn't expecting top rate, but also not sub-basement - damn. Also didn't expect him to also be his entire support crew and be running 18 hour days. Should have known by the rider pay and the way the sport seems to be run. I have a buddy that was a studio camerman and is now a videographer. He does mainly corporate and also some live festivals. He gets travel, accoms, a per diem and a good daily rate. His responsibility is to shoot - period.

/coolstorybro

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
It is pretty fucked that many of the top riders from the 2000s basically went unpaid. There's exceptions of course but consistent podium guys on like <$10,000 take home for the year is a joke considering the marketing they provided.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Sucks that you can’t make a living from a job - but I feel like it’s understood that you’re not going to be taking it in as a media squid until you’ve got some years under your belt and are able to shoot for multiple brands/teams at the same event. The privateer racer/photographer career mirror pretty heavily: at the beginning you’re all in your own and racking up credit debt, then you get attached to a team and get some expenses covered, ultimately you’re on a big team with personal sponsors and you’re getting multiple revenue streams.

I don’t think anyone is truly surprised that the media guys aren’t making any money, when none of us actively purchase any mountain bike media.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sucks that you can’t make a living from a job - but I feel like it’s understood that you’re not going to be taking it in as a media squid until you’ve got some years under your belt and are able to shoot for multiple brands/teams at the same event. The privateer racer/photographer career mirror pretty heavily: at the beginning you’re all in your own and racking up credit debt, then you get attached to a team and get some expenses covered, ultimately you’re on a big team with personal sponsors and you’re getting multiple revenue streams.

I don’t think anyone is truly surprised that the media guys aren’t making any money, when none of us actively purchase any mountain bike media.

Trying to make a living off of what is really a passion/hobby with limited demand filled with a lot of other people with the same passion/hobby is always going to be a tough run. There is a reason why most of the people in the world work shit jobs.

I would love to make a living selling artisanal bedazzled flamethrowers and fetus bone windchimes, but there just isn't the money in it.

And bullshit laws I guess.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Trying to make a living off of what is really a passion/hobby with limited demand filled with a lot of other people with the same passion/hobby is always going to be a tough run. There is a reason why most of the people in the world work shit jobs.

I would love to make a living selling artisanal bedazzled flamethrowers and fetus bone windchimes, but there just isn't the money in it.

Do I get to request what creature the fetus bones come from?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

Yeah that was why I bailed on Sound Engineering, people would do that shit for free to get ahead.
Fuuuuck that!
So I became a labourer then a diesel mechanic, not many people want to do that stuff for free.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I don't know if this happens everywhere around the world but it seems every second online bike shop lists items that are in stock at the distributor.
I want to buy stuff from people that stock stuff.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
I don't know if this happens everywhere around the world but it seems every second online bike shop lists items that are in stock at the distributor.
that’s usually one more day till it’s delivered to you here in switzerland if you order before 4pm. next they if we have it in stock, one more if it’s at the importer. we don’t do dropshipping.

counter point: if something is only in stock in one of the stores but not in main storage, getting it to you or to one of the other shops for pickup takes 2-5 days.

so would you rather have it in one of the 11 stores that is not local to you or rather at the importer?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
A lot of shops here have the exact same webstore, I'm sure all referencing stock at the same warehouse. Kinda funny.

There is one local shop who lists their actually inventory. I tried purchasing brake pads a few weeks ago, but it's only let me order one. Thought it was a glitch, so I purchased one and then tried to submit a second order. Sold out - wasn't even mad haha. And in good fashion, they had them restocked in a week AND called me when more came in. I was shocked.

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
bike-components.de has something interesting for smaller shops:

you can offer your customers the same stuff bike-components offers, but with a next day offering and you can decide on you own how much you wanna charge the customer for it and put it on their bikes etc. keeps storage cost down and you can concentrate on the things you can offer value to the customer

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
bike-components.de has something interesting for smaller shops:

you can offer your customers the same stuff bike-components offers, but with a next day offering and you can decide on you own how much you wanna charge the customer for it and put it on their bikes etc. keeps storage cost down and you can concentrate on the things you can offer value to the customer
And their logistics train is running pretty well lubed. Good shop.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And their logistics train is running pretty well lubed. Good shop.
This is the reality of business in this century. Shop owners complaining about the internet gets tired after a while, vs. do they have an online shop, do they update stock there, do they do all the other things to stay relevant in business? Someone will always come along and do what you do cheaper, quicker, more efficiently, etc. Somehow you have to differentiate yourself and serve your market, or make new markets, or bring your market to you. It's business 101 and the crusty old shop owner that refuses to change...well they get what they deserve in some cases.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
In general I love cargo bikes and anything that means people can ride a bike instead of take a car - but this dog is gonna FLY if they ever need to slam in the brakes.

And as sweet as this ride is, it doesn’t carry any more than an old 90s mountain bike with a milk crate zip tied to the rear rack. Which would also cost next to nothing and wouldn’t be a huge theft risk.

The bike industry has been going nuts over super fancy commuting and hauling bikes, which to me are two areas that cheap trash bikes rule supreme.

IMG_7875.jpeg

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
In general I love cargo bikes and anything that means people can ride a bike instead of take a car - but this dog is gonna FLY if they ever need to slam in the brakes.

And as sweet as this ride is, it doesn’t carry any more than an old 90s mountain bike with a milk crate zip tied to the rear rack. Which would also cost next to nothing and wouldn’t be a huge theft risk.

The bike industry has been going nuts over super fancy commuting and hauling bikes, which to me are two areas that cheap trash bikes rule supreme.

View attachment 220389

they are right around the corner from our store. incubator startup from one of the Freitag founders, no more comment needed ;)

the other founder also has financed a urban/cargo/whatshouldicallit bike:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
they are right around the corner from our store. incubator startup from one of the Freitag founders, no more comment needed ;)

the other founder also has financed a urban/cargo/whatshouldicallit bike:

Well, that flinc website is trying way too hard.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Interesting for sure.

Sweet if true.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

Dog has a leash, no issue-

1729564513860.png

Head swap after the crash-
1729564444945.png