Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Olly

Monkey
Oct 1, 2015
Another thing I don’t understand. You’ve got a gert big motor down there. Drivetrain efficiency and super light weight is suddenly a metric shedload less important. Nice low CoG and less weight hanging out on the end of the swingarm would be super nice though. Why u no gearbox? Are they afraid of looking too much like a motorbike?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Another thing I don’t understand. You’ve got a gert big motor down there. Drivetrain efficiency and super light weight is suddenly a metric shedload less important. Nice low CoG and less weight hanging out on the end of the swingarm would be super nice though. Why u no gearbox? Are they afraid of looking too much like a motorbike?
Probably because they're selling it for 7,000€, and they're worried that people wont want to buy it if it looks like a shitty moto that costs 8,000€.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Here is the Pinkbike for sale posting for that bike from earlier:
Asking $4k
Large frame size HaiBike SDuro 6.0 starting point. ALL best of the best components. LOTS of $$ and time put into this bike.

Fox Factory 36 front shock with ACS PUSH coil. FSA stem, LaMere carbon bars, Chris King headset, AVS hand brush guards, Ergon grips, Seat Dropper, Light & Motion 1,000 lumen each X 2, NEW LaMere Carbon wheels with Onyx Hubs! Race Face front sprocket, Sram EX1 Gruppo and EX1 chain, Cane Creek 450lb double barrel Valt spring rear suspension. Magura brakes and Magura 203/180 rotors. Bike was just completely serviced and all metal to metal lubed, brand new 27.5/3.0 Surly Dirt Wizard Tires, tubeless setup with orange seal

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Whoa...wait a minute. Did you guys know that there's an EMBN channel?

Electric Mountain Bike Network

Steve Jones from Dirt seems to be the man in charge.

Whoa...

After watching some of their vids. I almost want to get an ebike or vomit. Maybe both?

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Brake mounts are f'ing rediculous. I have a 2017 and 2018 Pike and I'm running the same brakes on them (Hope, obviously). I took a look at the Spartan to see what mounts I needed and ordered them in February. Last night I go to mount up the brakes and bleed them and the front isn't even close to the disc. I flip the mount, nope! Way too close. WTF? Apparently RS decided to change the brake mount to 180 instead of the "standard" 160mm mount that was on last year's fork. There's $22 wasted. Fucking assholes.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Brake mounts are f'ing rediculous. I have a 2017 and 2018 Pike and I'm running the same brakes on them (Hope, obviously). I took a look at the Spartan to see what mounts I needed and ordered them in February. Last night I go to mount up the brakes and bleed them and the front isn't even close to the disc. I flip the mount, nope! Way too close. WTF? Apparently RS decided to change the brake mount to 180 instead of the "standard" 160mm mount that was on last year's fork. There's $22 wasted. Fucking assholes.
IS brake mounts FTW.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
While that is annoying, the industry seems to be realizing that running small rotors on mountain bikes is ridiculous, even moreso now that everyone is on big wheels.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
While that is annoying, the industry seems to be realizing that running small rotors on mountain bikes is ridiculous, even moreso now that everyone is on big wheels.
I understand that 100% And I agree with you. But the brake mount should just be standard with adapter sold for multiple sizes like the IS51 mount. I don't see why they can't make the brake mount standard at 180 then for bigger travel mountain bikes and have step-down adapters for 160.

Or better yet put a sticker on it telling you what size the brake mount is for!

The fork I ordered didn't come with an instruction manual nor did it come with any sort of information telling me it upped to 180 this year. That seems to be the issue. My Fox 40 came setup for a 200 mm rotor, but I was unaware of that and use the 203 mm rotor. It didn't do too much damage to the rotor but it did wear down inside of the brake track a little bit for the first three runs I did on it. I later on added spacers. Again the difference between 200 and 203, really? Avid used to use 185 mm rotors while everybody else used 180's I believe. Now seeing that RockShox has it set up for 180 is even more confusing! Do I need an adapter for 185 to 203, or is it 180 to 203? Or hang on, is it 180 to 200 now? WTF!

XC riders still use 160 or even 140, so XC forks can be set up for 160

Trail to Endubro 180

Dh 203?

Or IS 51 FTW!

A sticker... An F'ing sticker!

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Totally.
The amount of adapters that have been and continue to be produced for disc brakes is insane. And add to that many of them are not stamped or otherwise marked. :( :( :(

I don't even know what IS51 is...

I should COD ship my bin full of old adapters to SRAM.

Also, I'm sorry, but if you use 160 rotors on the front of your bike you are either not riding actual mountain bike trails or you are 10yo / 75 lbs.

I understand that 100% And I agree with you. But the brake mount should just be standard with adapter sold for multiple sizes like the IS51 mount. I don't see why they can't make the brake mount standard at 180 then for bigger travel mountain bikes and have step-down adapters for 160.

Or better yet put a sticker on it telling you what size the brake mount is for!

The fork I ordered didn't come with an instruction manual nor did it come with any sort of information telling me it upped to 180 this year. That seems to be the issue. My Fox 40 came setup for a 200 mm rotor, but I was unaware of that and use the 203 mm rotor. It didn't do too much damage to the rotor but it did wear down inside of the brake track a little bit for the first three runs I did on it. I later on added spacers. Again the difference between 200 and 203, really? Avid used to use 185 mm rotors while everybody else used 180's I believe. Now seeing that RockShox has it set up for 180 is even more confusing! Do I need an adapter for 185 to 203, or is it 180 to 203? Or hang on, is it 180 to 200 now? WTF!

XC riders still use 160 or even 140, so XC forks can be set up for 160

Trail to Endubro 180

Dh 203?

Or IS 51 FTW!

A sticker... An F'ing sticker!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Totally.
The amount of adapters that have been and continue to be produced for disc brakes is insane. And add to that many of them are not stamped or otherwise marked. :( :( :(

I don't even know what IS51 is...

I should COD ship my bin full of old adapters to SRAM.

Also, I'm sorry, but if you use 160 rotors on the front of your bike you are either not riding actual mountain bike trails or you are 10yo / 75 lbs.
Sending all of my old adapters to SRAM is not such a bad idea...

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Alright so F that stupid idea. No step-down adapter. You run 180 or higher. Don't like it, tough shit!
I've seen reviews where the reviewer has put claimed that a 180mm standard mount on a 160mm travel Enduro frame is a negative, in case someone wanted to run a 160mm rotor...

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I've seen reviews where the reviewer has put claimed that a 180mm standard mount on a 160mm travel Enduro frame is a negative, in case someone wanted to run a 160mm rotor...
Please post the outlet and the reviewer so that I can ignore anything the moron has to say.
Would also like to know who to Nelson Muntz if the opportunity arises.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Please post the outlet and the reviewer so that I can ignore anything the moron has to say.
Would also like to know who to Nelson Muntz if the opportunity arises.
I'll try to find the review. I'm bewildered as to why anyone would want to run anything less than a 180mm rotor on any bike unless its for pure XC racing or hill-climbing or something.

I was surprised when PVD mentioned in the write up of his 29er Kona Process that he wanted the ability to run a 160mm rotor on the rear. That guy used to be pretty switched on but his rantings nowadays have that Howard Hughes demented genius vibe about them.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'm bewildered as to why anyone would want to run anything less than a 180mm rotor on any bike unless its for pure XC racing or hill-climbing or something.
Behold my XC racing hill-climbing bike and its 160mm rotors
Dartmoor4X.jpg