Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
No it didn't, unless someone shaved the tabs down.
Yes it did. Notice the rusty marks on the top of the rivets? That silver line in the second photo is where they completely missed the disc's outer track.
20180823_040931.jpg

20180823_041346.jpg

Last edited:

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
According to BicycleFuckingRetailerandIndustryFuckingNews....

3 PERCENT. While E-bikes are the FASTEST GROWING SEGMENT!!!!!!!! They now realize a grand total of 3%, that's .03 of all units sold, according to the latest numbers by bicycle whore and prostitute news.

While, at the same time accounting for 93% (that's .93) of all industry news.

Good thing there's nothing new in 97% of the rest of the industry. Fuck that.

ebikes.jpg

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Now if only we could limit the bitching about E-bikes to a level proportional to their market share.
well, ya. That was more about what's wrong with the industry.......I can't wait for E-nterbike. The amount of E-ttention to this segment will be E-normous.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
well, ya. That was more about what's wrong with the industry.......I can't wait for E-nterbike. The amount of E-ttention to this segment will be E-normous.
Then why even go there? In my opinion events like Roc d'Azur, Dirtmasters Winterberg or Bike Festival Garda would be far more fitting.

I just took a glance at all the Bicycle Retailer issues for this year i count a total of three cover stories that have anything at all to do with E-mobility, with one of them actually being about gravel bikes. Now I'm no mathematician, but given that they have 2-3 major stories per issue the coverage of E-Bikes appears to be more in the 5-10% percent range.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
It's not like this hasn't been discussed ad nauseam and taking into account the actual miniscule market share I'd say we've already filled our quota for the year.
I'm also participating in a Spanish forum, and in the Rallón R4 thread the number of middle aged guys dropping them in favor of some eTurd is really worrying. The main reasons posted in that thread to justify the change are lack of time to ride and not suffering in the uphills:nopity:.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Those are good reasons, though... More downhill for time on the bike. Yes, please.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I want an e-bike so I can Strava the shit out of hill climbs and KOM that shit! That'll fuck up the whole point of about 99.4% of users and why they use it.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I'm averaging 1 negative e-bike interaction per week on my local trails right now. This is no longer a philosophical e-argument for the MTBR pedants.

5-10% of the riding community is A LOT if most of em are fuckin up in some way.

None of the eMTBers appear to be:
1) long-time, highly skilled MTB riders who recently got kids and got fat, 2) your ripper ex-MotoTrials grandpa who has bad hips but still wants to shred, 3) some Euro Enduro Pro you've never heard of having a bit of a laugh.

Which is odd, cause the mtb industry has told us that is who is going to ride these things on our trails.

They are all chodes who dont know where they are, which way the trail goes, or how to control their moped.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
1) long-time, highly skilled MTB riders who recently got kids and got fat, 2) your ripper ex-MotoTrials grandpa who has bad hips but still wants to shred, 3) some Euro Enduro Pro you've never heard of having a bit of a laugh.
This is quite accurate (especially #1), but I'd add 2 groups:
4) average older people (well into their 50's), which would have a long way to go to get in good enough shape to ride physically demanding trails or that would get discouraged after bonking and crashing due to exhaustion. These people are typically staying on green and blue trails. Personally, I think it's really cool that they can access the sport. I've seen many of these on my local trail and I have never had any problem. They are basically riding at the same speed as regular bikes.

5) Very skilled riders (typically long-time DH shredders) that simply want to go fast all the time (including uphill) and are not afraid of muscling around a 50lbs bike. These people can smoke most of the people on a regular bike anyway. No problem with these guys either as long as they don't go full-stupid like climbing on DH trails. I guess this category is somewhat similar to #3.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I’ve never seen any of these supposed eMTB user groups in real life.

Only kooks on their kook scooters, yardsaleing in the rock garden or ascending the descent

To be fair, these guys are all poaching trails closed to them. I guess I should assume the cool ebikers know not to poach.

Sorry for my rants on this subject.
I’ve said enough.

This is quite accurate (especially #1), but I'd add 2 groups:
4) average older people (well into their 50's), which would have a long way to go to get in good enough shape to ride physically demanding trails or that would get discouraged after bonking and crashing due to exhaustion. These people are typically staying on green and blue trails. Personally, I think it's really cool that they can access the sport. I've seen many of these on my local trail and I have never had any problem. They are basically riding at the same speed as regular bikes.

5) Very skilled riders (typically long-time DH shredders) that simply want to go fast all the time (including uphill) and are not afraid of muscling around a 50lbs bike. These people can smoke most of the people on a regular bike anyway. No problem with these guys either as long as they don't go full-stupid like climbing on DH trails. I guess this category is somewhat similar to #3.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Then why even go there? In my opinion events like Roc d'Azur, Dirtmasters Winterberg or Bike Festival Garda would be far more fitting.

I just took a glance at all the Bicycle Retailer issues for this year i count a total of three cover stories that have anything at all to do with E-mobility, with one of them actually being about gravel bikes. Now I'm no mathematician, but given that they have 2-3 major stories per issue the coverage of E-Bikes appears to be more in the 5-10% percent range.
Basically, Interbike is close, cheap and easy. I'm going for the 3 day demo fest at Northstar..

Look at the issue I posted. A quick look shows about 80% of the editorial is on ebikes. 4 of the 8 listings in the Contents had e-bikes. And multi page spreads

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm averaging 1 negative e-bike interaction per week on my local trails right now. This is no longer a philosophical e-argument for the MTBR pedants.

5-10% of the riding community is A LOT if most of em are fuckin up in some way.

Which is odd, cause the mtb industry has told us that is who is going to ride these things on our trails.

They are all chodes who dont know where they are, which way the trail goes, or how to control their moped.
the only emtbr I've ever seen was a 45-50yo blondie crushing some gravel up at the kingdom trails, which expressly forbids ebikes on their trails. So i'm 100% for etards ruining everything for everybody forever.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
assuming the land manager in question allows, i'm kinda down with this demographic. i rode a dialed (stupid expensive) ebike recently, and couldn't deny there are (really) good times to be had on board one of these. opens up lots of opportunities to pack in huge descending vert within a relatively short amount of time (and / or self shuttle, etc).

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Ouch, classic Ridemonkey right here:

Step 0: Lizards are releasing new BS innovation
Step 1: RM: Kill it with fire!
Step 2: Some Monkeys tried it and "well, it is not that bad but still feels wrong"
Step 3: first one breaks down and buys it, smashes all his/her KOM, posts glowing review and gets all the chicks. Gets ridiculed by other monkeys, however they secretly test it as well.
Step 4: Suddenly more and more out themselves as users.
Step 5: Well accepted as the second coming of Christ. Monkeys not on the bandwagon get ridiculed.
Step 6: Lizards: wow, we didn't think they buy this BS of ours, but hey! Let us see how far we can push this!
Step 7: Profit!

You are at step 2! :D

assuming the land manager in question allows, i'm kinda down with this demographic. i rode a dialed (stupid expensive) ebike recently, and couldn't deny there are (really) good times to be had on board one of these. opens up lots of opportunities to pack in huge descending vert within a relatively short amount of time (and / or self shuttle, etc).

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
@Gary ... paging gary to the white courtesy phone ...

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
What are you gonna do when they become illegal again next January 1st? :D
can't you just switch off the E and ride it normally? I mean bio powered? I mean, it's just like any other bike, right? Not like it's a motorcycle that doesn't work when the motor is off....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What are you gonna do when they become illegal again next January 1st? :D
I sure hope that doesn't happen. If it does then I have a very expensive way to get to work. :D
can't you just switch off the E and ride it normally? I mean bio powered? I mean, it's just like any other bike, right? Not like it's a motorcycle that doesn't work when the motor is off....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
It just feels like one has a flat tire when the assist is off. 44 lbs and 2.8" tires at 18 psi will do that.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
I sure hope that doesn't happen. If it does then I have a very expensive way to get to work. :D

It just feels like one has a flat tire when the assist is off. 44 lbs and 2.8" tires at 18 psi will do that.
I know. It was kind of a joke. I'm not E-gnorant, ya know.

And not against E-bikes. Just against the inordinant industry mantra that they will and are saving the bike industry.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Basically, Interbike is close, cheap and easy. I'm going for the 3 day demo fest at Northstar..

Look at the issue I posted. A quick look shows about 80% of the editorial is on ebikes. 4 of the 8 listings in the Contents had e-bikes. And multi page spreads
Sorry about being pedantic. If you do ever make the trip to Europe again, I honestly think the three events I posted above are much more suitable than Eurobike. That show has been getting less attractive for a while, but this year was really terrible - it seemed to have lost much of the atmosphere and attracted far less enthusiasts. And I'm in complete agreement with you that it's just boring to see every manufacturer just slapping a motor on their bike and calling it a day.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
It's back motherfuckers !
It's back motherfuckers.jpg

It's not like I had no bike to ride for the last month.
I just had to pedal them a little bit harder than this thing. You know... like that old fashioned less fun type of mountainbiking everyone did before motors. ;)